View Diary: Fundamentally Opposed to Mandatory Standardized Education (88 comments)

•  but the only alternatives available (1+ / 0-)
    Wee Mama

to public schools with common standards, are online curricula that are LITERALLY scripted.

I just genetically engineer them, I don't nominate them for President.

by happymisanthropy on Wed Sep 26, 2012 at 07:59:04 PM PDT

•  The online public schools are bound... (2+ / 0-)
      angelajean, FloridaSNMOM

by the same standardized curriculum whether they are charter or not.  IMO the standardized curriculum kills the great joy of the pursuit of learning because of inspiration from within.

Cooper Zale Los Angeles http://www.leftyparent.com

by leftyparent on Wed Sep 26, 2012 at 08:36:09 PM PDT

•  Ok, great (0+ / 0-)

so glad I gave you that opportunity to repeat the talking points from your diary.

I just genetically engineer them, I don't nominate them for President.

by happymisanthropy on Thu Sep 27, 2012 at 12:33:23 AM PDT

•  Sorry, did not intend to do that!... (0+ / 0-)

I imagine both online and classroom curricula can be scripted or not.  I'm sure you are right that there are plenty of online schools that follow scripted learning, but it does not necessarily need to be so.  My daughter took online college writing classes that were very unscripted, but gave her a mentor and a "writers group" of peers to share her novel writing with.  K-12 online classes could be like that as well.  No reason not IMO.

Cooper Zale Los Angeles http://www.leftyparent.com

by leftyparent on Sat Sep 29, 2012 at 08:50:49 AM PDT

•  I think you might be surprised (4+ / 0-)
      Wee Mama, FloridaSNMOM, gramofsam1, boji

at the number of public school kids who are beginning to learn online.  Each year, especially for "outliers" of gifted education, or those who must make up credits.

Yes, it is scripted, but you can have an idiot who writes the curricula filled with errors and indoctrination, or you can have a gifted genius whose teaching ability is translated through the web--like Khan Academy, the little cutie that Bill Gates endorses.

If you starve the middle class, whose gonna pay for your crap?

by rosabw on Thu Sep 27, 2012 at 04:15:01 AM PDT

•  Kids of the same age are not all learning the same (1+ / 0-)
        leftyparent

thing, at the same time, at the same pace, or in the same way. In fact, we have 4 different math teachers that are all teaching Algebra a bit differently and comparing success. The age group in Algebra spans 7th graders to 11th graders.

I teach an advanced English class for Freshman. All of my students entered 9th grade reading at or above the college level. I can't teach them the way I taught my regular English class 10 years ago. In that class, which my son was in, we all did the same thing.

For tomorrow, we are having a debate over the morality of the actions of Montressor in "Cask of Amontillado." Other students will will present a short story rewriting the story from a different point of view. Others are working on the morality of being forgiven for a murder after 50 years.

Each of these activities will take time, and it will count more than their quiz over the story. (They all received either an A or a B+ on the quiz.)

Yet my classroom is limited because I don't have reading groups of 10 or less as these students had in middle school. I am lucky because our middle school Language Arts teaches are the best in the world. The 7th grade teacher is the best writing teacher ever. I get kids excited about learning, and when I was sick this week, they directed the sub correctly.

I TEACH AT A PUBLIC SCHOOL. ARE ALL PUBLIC SCHOOLS LIKE THIS? I DON'T KNOW. I DO KNOW THAT MINE IS. I BET YOURS IS A HELL OF LOT BETTER THAN YOU THINK IT IS. GO WATCH THESE GREAT TEACHERS TEACH.

•  Appreciate your comment and your service... (0+ / 0-)

working with our kids!  And glad to read you are differentiating your class work as much as you can and at least in some instances having multi-age classes.

It's been nine years since my daughter did her last year of school in 9th grade.  Most of my input on conventional school now comes from close friends who are public school teachers in Los Angeles.  They are talented teachers in the trenches in a large urban district, tho both I think tend to the "sage on the stage" rather than the "guide on the side" persona.

I would not be surprised if in smaller districts maybe with better funding and less concern about meeting the teach to the test standards there is more differentiated education within the state high-stakes standards.

Don't know the particulars off your school and your district.  Maybe you can share!

Cooper Zale Los Angeles http://www.leftyparent.com