View Diary: Newt Gingrich gives up on dog-whistles (287 comments)

•  Pocket? Seems to me he swallowed it, (27+ / 0-)

and everything that he says comes out whistly:

seriously, Newt said this.

I mean, I don’t quite know what his rhythm is,

That is so just barely coded, I don't know whether to laugh or to cry.

This simply proves America is still a racist country. And Fox is an "anything goes" channel.

Next time someone says anything about "postracial country" or that the playing field is level now that we've had a black president, we can just trot out this video.

The fact that anyone still gives this monster a microphone says that we still have a long way to go.

© grover

by grover on Thu Sep 27, 2012 at 12:35:28 PM PDT

•  We are getting better (7+ / 0-)

in this country - sometimes hard to see, but progress is being made.  The dog whistle stuff works with fewer and fewer people and they're dying out.

Still, it's progress.  Not as fast as I'd like it, but progress.  One day we'll get there.  Sooner, I hope.

There already is class warfare in America. Unfortunately, the rich are winning.

by Puddytat on Thu Sep 27, 2012 at 01:06:17 PM PDT

•  I think it might be, rather .... (4+ / 0-)

that people recognize the dogwhistle, and then reject it.  I like that idea even better, actually.

"Mitt Romney has more positions than the Kama Sutra." -- me "Social justice is love, made public." -- Cornel West

by billlaurelMD on Thu Sep 27, 2012 at 01:14:35 PM PDT

•  I used to believe that. (11+ / 0-)

But since President Obama was elected, I've seen racism in people that I never thought (not in a million years) were racist.

This cancer lies deep within the bones of America, and you don't know its there until it appears and is extremely harmful.   It will take generations and generations to be exorcised (I just mixed metaphors, didn't I? That's how much this upsets me.)

I guess, given that we're only one FULL generation removed from the two Voting Rights Acts, progress is pretty quick from a historical perspective.

But humans don't live in history. They live in society, and society isn't changing fast enough for me.

© grover

by grover on Thu Sep 27, 2012 at 01:20:47 PM PDT

•  I still believe it (3+ / 0-)
          sethtriggs, 417els, Calamity Jean

Yes, there are still plenty of loudmouths out there and blowers of dog whistles, but they're a dying breed.  People are more accepting of diversity than they were.  Obama wouldn't have been elected without them.

Progress is being made.  Yes, it's slower than you or I want, but we're moving forwards at last.

There already is class warfare in America. Unfortunately, the rich are winning.

by Puddytat on Thu Sep 27, 2012 at 02:56:16 PM PDT

•  A little OT, but I finished reading (0+ / 0-)

Douglas Brinkley's biography of Rosa Parks about a week or so ago.

When Brinkley was outlining the extraordinary efforts Parks had to undertake to get registered to vote (it took her several years), it sounded incredibly familiar. It sounded like PA or OH this year.

I guess we'll find out, on election day 2012, if we've taken three steps forward or eight steps backward.

The recent court decisions across the country on Voter ID laws leave me cautiously hopeful.  But as I read, 2012 didn't seem so far removed from 1955.

© grover

by grover on Thu Sep 27, 2012 at 04:09:55 PM PDT

•  BTW, I highly recommend Brinkley's book (0+ / 0-)

if you're looking for something excellent to read: interesting AND educational. It's available at Audible if you like books on tape cd digital-sound-whatever -it's-called-these-days.

© grover

by grover on Thu Sep 27, 2012 at 04:12:19 PM PDT

•  It's true. Look at unions -- many of them used to (4+ / 0-)

be the bulwark of racism (and sexism for that matter). Now those same unions are incredibly diverse and the kind of people who 50 years ago wouldn't be on speaking terms are on the picket lines together. Yes, the union movement is in real trouble, but the widened membership gives me some hope on that score.

We're not perfect, but they're nuts! -- Barney Frank