View Diary: Barack Obama on White Privilege: And Why We Need To Listen (231 comments)

•  Maybe we need to approach it (9+ / 0-)

By not writing off those people.  Writing off the 47% doesn't work for Romney and it doesn't work for us.

Make the case, present the truth, work hard at it.  It'll be easier than we think.  I imagine that it would be easier once we stop denigrating the people we are trying to reach out to

Never believe your own press, never drink your own KoolAid

by Mindful Nature on Fri Sep 28, 2012 at 09:02:28 AM PDT

•  I think you are correct. (3+ / 0-)
      kyril, AuroraDawn, Ian Reifowitz

But the denigration is stemming from frustration. These folks are tools being used to drive this country to the brink of feudalism, and they are stubborn as hell in their refusal to see reason. I think that needs to be acknowledged too.

But yeah. Let's acknowledge it and then let it go. Winning is more important than being right.

Poverty = politics.

by Renee on Fri Sep 28, 2012 at 10:23:13 AM PDT

•  Sociologist Ruth Sidell: (6+ / 0-)

"Statistics are people with the tears washed away."

•  Sure (2+ / 0-)
        Renee, Ian Reifowitz

but they're also rightfully scared.  They may not be well polished, but they know that things are not in good shape and they're in the firing line.  Given them a better explanation than blaming black and brown folks in langauge that makes gut level sense, and I think we win.

I'm surprised we haven't made more highlighting of corporate power over their lives.  It'd seem an easy thing to say "hey, in your day to day life, what's hit you more often and harder:  being screwed over by a customer service rep or billing department of a phone company, bank or insurance company, or being screwed over by a person of color"?  Don't know about you, but I spend a ton more time fighting with giant corporations in one form or another.  I suspect that's not an uncommon experience.

Never believe your own press, never drink your own KoolAid

by Mindful Nature on Fri Sep 28, 2012 at 11:42:17 AM PDT

•  I mean this in a respectful way, but... (4+ / 0-)

where are you from? I was born and raised in rural Missouri and while I agree with you that they are scared, and rightfully so, I believe their bigotries were exploited from the beginning. In a way, their bigotries created the problem or at least gave it general outlines because they could be exploited by the Republicans to gain and hold power. I see them as more complicitious than I think you do.

I have had success on an individual basis guiding folks to turn their hostility on corporations but I would much prefer that they find a way to realize their power and wield it. Assuming that they finally learn to fight in their own best interests.

Poverty = politics.

by Renee on Fri Sep 28, 2012 at 11:52:24 AM PDT

•  That's a very fair and insightful question (5+ / 0-)

because there are BIG regional differences that we tend to forget.

And you nailed it:  I grew up in California, and lived in Boston and Indiana for significant chunks of time (6+ years each), but it does color my impressions significantly and make me a lot more optimistic than is probably realistically warranted.

Never believe your own press, never drink your own KoolAid

by Mindful Nature on Fri Sep 28, 2012 at 12:10:20 PM PDT

•  Thanks for being generous about it. :) (2+ / 0-)
              Tonedevil, Ian Reifowitz

It's sometimes hard to ask those questions online without sounding aggressive.

I'm in California now and I see a lot of people who don't have real experience of the way it is in the flyover areas. They are nice, but they have no idea of how pervasive the sense of white Christian privilege really is. I am gay and I was aware of my outsider status from a really young age so I am hypersensitive to it.

Poverty = politics.