View Diary: The GOP is in Full-On Loser Mode, So Let's Bury Them All In Anvils (150 comments)

•  I think we aren't necessarily smart enough (21+ / 0-)

to understand his patient strategy. I now see that he may have been perfectly content to keep a low profile in the debate and not make headlines--with the result that the Gish Galloping lies filled up all the news and basically did Obama's work for him. And not mentioning the 47%? Ahh...now I understand this. Rmoney would have been brilliantly prepped for the perfect response to defuse the 47% problem in front of 60 million viewers, so why let him do it? It's still one of our most effective ways to show who Rmoney is and now it will go on working for us. Plus we got the Big Bird gift.

When playing chess (no matter in how many dimensions) you have to be willing to make some sacrifices. Not let your ego get in the way of your plan. Most of us wouldn't be able to restrain ourselves, we want to win every battle. This President is brilliant.

I love it that Obama's channeling Harry Truman: "I don't give 'em hell; I just tell the truth and they think it's hell!"

by sillia on Sat Oct 06, 2012 at 08:37:20 AM PDT

•  style, not intelligence (8+ / 0-)

We gravitate to sites like this one because we are activists, polijunkies, whatever. We relish a fight. So, like the stunned and offended MSNBC crew right after the debate, all we could see was that Our Guy Didn't Fight Back. Its the dynamic that has probably led to the untimely deaths of a few TVs among this crowd on dKos. Obama is not a brawler, and his style is to woo the few undecideds to put him over the top in the electoral college. He is trying to win 270 in that arena, while we want to see a rhetorical evisceration of a political dogma we find damaging and offensive.
      Different stylistic preferences, different goals in mind.
      I don't think it's that we're stupid. I've learned an awful lot from an awful lot of very intelligent people here.

R-Money/R-Ayn, the ENRON Ticket, is not a campaign; it's a hostile takeover bid.

by kamarvt on Sat Oct 06, 2012 at 09:56:46 AM PDT

•  I don't think it's just style (5+ / 0-)

although certainly he has his own style. I think what's going on here is strategy. All I'm saying is that those of us who relish a knock-down, call-em-a-bastard fight (myself included) have to learn that in winning the war you don't have to win every single battle. Sometimes it helps to draw the enemy out and (to mix a metaphor) give him some rope. It must be a scary maneouver to execute.

by sillia on Sat Oct 06, 2012 at 12:34:55 PM PDT

•  sillia - this is the point I'm trying to make... (5+ / 0-)

...with my "Rope-A-Dope" posting above. I should have put that posting below your post!

•  aha, found your comment (7+ / 0-)

Yes, I agree there was some strategy going on. I called it "patience," some have called it staying true to his persona, the rope-a-dope may have also been going on. Certainly only a "dope" would attack Big Bird in front of the whole nation, lol!

by sillia on Sat Oct 06, 2012 at 12:29:37 PM PDT

•  I agree with both of you (2+ / 0-)
          delillo2000, sillia

Obama gave Mitt all the rope he needed to hang himself on a pack of lies and flip flops.

Now that the debate has been fact checked, I ask anyone who thinks Mitt won.  How can a Liar be a winner?

Mitt was smarmy used car salesman.  All he accomplished with me was to get me to walk off the lot.

Congressional elections have consequences!

by Cordyc on Sun Oct 07, 2012 at 12:40:17 AM PDT

•  I think Obama stratigized the '47%' just as you (3+ / 0-)
      sillia, ladybug53, delillo2000

described it. In not bringing it up he took away the wide viewing audience for Romney's retraction.

•  Rmoney's advisors would have prepped a number (2+ / 0-)
        sillia, indres

of responses to the 47% speech and they would have repudiated his earlier comments. I could easily image him saying this when asked about his speech:

I'm running to be the President of the United States of America and I care deeply about 100% of Americans. Anyone who would claim otherwise is simply wrong and I am personally offended that anyone would suggest otherwise. I love my country and I love our people and I will work tirelessly from Day 1 of my presidency to build a brighter and more prosperous nation for all Americans.
        A caring and compassionate President for all Americans! You heard it here first!

It takes time to practice generosity, but being generous is the best use of our time. - Thich Nhat Hanh.

by Frank In WA on Sat Oct 06, 2012 at 10:27:34 PM PDT

•  I think you are definitely right about (1+ / 0-)
      sillia

why Obama didn't bring up the 47%.  No way Romney wouldn't have had a well-rehearsed comeback for that.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." -Thomas Jefferson

by delillo2000 on Sun Oct 07, 2012 at 01:10:01 AM PDT