View Diary: Anti-teachers union movie sets near-record as box office bomb (182 comments)

•  Most likely it'll become a cable TV staple (3+ / 0-)

like Dirty Dancing or Titanic and will get broad exposure that way. Obviously, though, its backers have done a terrible job of producing and promoting it as it doesn't appear to have made the talk and morning show rounds or generated any buzz. We'll see how it does in its second life.

"Liberty without virtue would be no blessing to us" - Benjamin Rush, 1777

by kovie on Mon Oct 01, 2012 at 05:20:12 AM PDT

•  Just reading about it, (3+ / 0-)

it does seem like a Lifetime made for tv movie.  That could be why it doesn't have any appeal to the theater going audience.  Why bother with a movie like that when you can just turn on the tv and see one just like it?

A learning experience is one of those things that says, 'You know that thing you just did? Don't do that.' Douglas Adams

by dougymi on Mon Oct 01, 2012 at 08:54:12 AM PDT

•  It's a LIFETIME movie (1+ / 0-)
        dougymi

with a feature film cast.

I wonder about the cast in this film.

I wonder if they were fooled into thinking it was "one woman's story" or some such bullshit.

"When a man tells you that he got rich through hard work, ask him: 'Whose?' Don Marquis

by hopesprings on Mon Oct 01, 2012 at 12:08:53 PM PDT

•  Interview with several here: (1+ / 0-)
          hopesprings
          Maggie Gyllenhaal: Most of the time that I was working on the movie I was mostly interested in following it emotionally.  After I made the movie and particularly now after the movie has caused a bit of a controversy, which really surprised me, I have now gotten much much more informed about policy reform and what's going on in the educational system.
          Rosie Perez: Well the subject matter about public education and that there's a lot of problems with it. I like the fact that they didn't just focus on the problems with the teachers and the teacher unions; they also focus on the problems with the bureaucracy that is involved, and they also focused on the other unions involved and  although I believe in unions, I'm an actor hello and we support unions there are problems with it and they all need to be addressed.

"...you can’t find any oxygen from outside the aircraft to get in the aircraft, because the windows don’t open. I don’t know why they don’t do that. It’s a real problem." Mitt Romney

by Catte Nappe on Mon Oct 01, 2012 at 01:08:39 PM PDT

•  I hate to say it (1+ / 0-)
            Catte Nappe

....but it sounds to me these actors were reading for the character arcs and the story and not the underlying message of the film.

Which - and again I hate to say it - can be pretty typical, though not usually of actors at this level.  I would be squirming a bit if I were their reps who pushed them to take the project.

by hopesprings on Mon Oct 01, 2012 at 01:43:02 PM PDT

•  You can see Maggie G's comment (0+ / 0-)

She's now made an effort to get more informed. But I imagine you are correct, at first reading they saw a story about a couple of underdogs and pictured being the next Norma Rae or Erin Brockovich.

by Catte Nappe on Mon Oct 01, 2012 at 02:06:47 PM PDT