View Diary: Alternet thinks it may know Romney's "October Surprise" (125 comments)

•  Jimmy Carter (24+ / 0-)

They keep thinking that the Jimmy Carter association will be a big winner.  But
    1. The election they have in mind was 32 years ago.  Much of the electorate has no memory of it at all.
    2. Much of the electorate's only knowledge of Jimmy Carter is as a peace-loving guy who builds houses for people all over the country, and tries to guarantee fair elections in other parts of the world.  That is, they know him as a great post-President and humanitarian, not as an (allegedly) not-so-great president (as the R's see him).

Somehow the "Jimmy Carter" angle is like a bunch of old folks reminiscing about football games they won in their youth...

•  I love the irony (15+ / 0-)

that Carter's grandson was involved in the outing of the 47% video.  The grandson of the GOPs favorite punching bag lands a haymaker square into the jaw.

•  i'm 44 and even i don't remember Jimmy (2+ / 0-)
      raster44, artmartin

Carter, for fuck's sake.

For the record, I am not a member of Courtesy Kos. Just so you know. Don't be stupid. It's election season. My patience is short.

by mdmslle on Mon Oct 01, 2012 at 01:27:23 PM PDT

•  this is an excellent point. They keep going all (4+ / 0-)

the way back to Carter for a foreign failure event because all the more recent events happened during Republican administrations.
      But you're exactly right -- most people other than the 60&up crowd (like me) -- really don't associate Carter with foreign failure. And even oldies like me don't make that connection any more. He's done so many admirable and noteworthy things since his presidency, that we view him in that light. I was not a big fan of his presidency (various reasons), but I'm a big fan of his now.

We're not perfect, but they're nuts! -- Barney Frank

by Tamar on Mon Oct 01, 2012 at 01:30:17 PM PDT

•  Plus it was Reagan who was responsible (3+ / 0-)
        anninla, raster44, artmartin

for not releasing the hostages (Iran - Contra) which the press seems to ignore and the dems don't seem to mention.

Government isn't the answer to all our problems, but tax cuts, deregulation and greed are the source of many of them.

by coffejoe on Mon Oct 01, 2012 at 03:11:07 PM PDT

•  not sure what you mean since Reagan came in after (0+ / 0-)

the hostage taking. There was always some speculation that there were shenanigans going on that kept the Americans hostage until Carter lost the election, but I don't think it was ever proven.

We're not perfect, but they're nuts! -- Barney Frank

by Tamar on Mon Oct 01, 2012 at 03:20:13 PM PDT

•  Clearly you have not read up on the original (3+ / 0-)
            raster44, artmartin, CoyoteMarti

October surprises, going back to Nixon's announcement of the end of the Vietnam War in Oct. 1972. Are you too young to remember Carter-Reagan?

During the Iran hostage crisis, the Republican challenger Ronald Reagan feared a last-minute deal to release the hostages, which might earn incumbent Jimmy Carter enough votes to win re-election in the 1980 presidential election. As it happened, in the days prior to the election, press coverage was consumed with the Iranian government's decision—and Carter's simultaneous announcement—that the hostages would not be released until after the election.
            It was widely supposed that the Republicans had gotten the Iranians to delay their release, and that the Ayatollahs went along because detested Jimmy Carter so much.
            Little did they know how little they knew of the little they did know. If only I knew how little they knew, I'd know a little.

(Spike Milligan, Goon Show, BBC Radio, approximately ^_^)

America—We built that!

by Mokurai on Mon Oct 01, 2012 at 03:53:22 PM PDT

•  that's exactly what I meant -- that it was never (0+ / 0-)

proven but only guessed at that Reagan had something to do with the delay.
              And no -- I'm not too young and I remember it all, unfortunately (wouldn't mind being too young!).

We're not perfect, but they're nuts! -- Barney Frank

by Tamar on Mon Oct 01, 2012 at 04:50:44 PM PDT

•  Exactly. (4+ / 0-)
      Tamar, raster44, artmartin, zesty grapher

Few people under the age of 50 will have any meaningful recollection of the Carter years.  Those over 50 have already made up their mind if they hate Obama or not.

And Carter had gasoline rationing, high inflation, and a botched raid to free the hostages in Iran that he had to contend with.  On the other hand, Obama gave the order that got bin Laden, the auto companies are thriving, and while job numbers aren't outstanding they're at least headed in the right direction.

I think this late in the game, making a Carter comparison is coming off more as a Hail Mary.

•  These are the people stupid enough to ask (0+ / 0-)
        Are you better off than you were four years ago?
        Even the 1% are far, far better off than they were four years ago, the ungrateful, mooching, entitled wretches. Oh, and who was it who drove the economy into the ditch? Remind me. And who was it whose whole electoral strategy for the last four years has been to keep it there and blame us and our President for their actions? It is the classic line of the violent and abusive husband:
        Now look what you made me do!
        Their only delusory, even hallucinatory hope is that we are weak-willed women/girly-men who can never get up the gumption and personal responsibility to say, "No means no," not even in the face of legitimate rape.

"No! No!! Anything but that!!!" they expect us to cry.

Do it to Julia!
        George Orwell, 1984

America—We built that!

by Mokurai on Mon Oct 01, 2012 at 04:04:41 PM PDT

•  As Jon Stewart said: (6+ / 0-)

"Oh, the Habitat for Humanity!"

It still distresses me that they have elevated the hostage crisis in Iran (and the Carter pre-election bait and switch) to a moment of greatness for their party.

It is the most craven kind of medieval political shit ever.

"When a man tells you that he got rich through hard work, ask him: 'Whose?' Don Marquis

by hopesprings on Mon Oct 01, 2012 at 01:33:08 PM PDT

•  Thanks for reminding me how frigging old I am! (2+ / 0-)
      SoCaliana, raster44

Cats are better than therapy, and I'm a therapist.

by Smoh on Mon Oct 01, 2012 at 01:36:51 PM PDT

•  Jane Fonda (6+ / 0-)

I'm 47 now.  I remember at some point in my late 20s , which would have been the early 90s, some old conservative guy was trying to make some point in a debate by comparing the Democrat to "that traitor Jane Fonda."

I now know a bit more about the history of the anti-Vietnam War movement, but at the time I was just like "what?"

I seriously thought he was senile.

•  Now THAT's funny! (5+ / 0-)

Totally off topic:  took 15 year old granddaughter to DC for vaca this summer.  Saw some great displays in Lib of Congress on  modern culture. She did not know who Robert Redford, Paul Newman and Audrey Hepburn were...altho Audrey Hepburn looked kinda familiar, lol. Needless to say, I sent oodles of DVDs to her after we arrived home.

This whole world's wild at heart and weird on top....Lula

by anninla on Mon Oct 01, 2012 at 02:37:44 PM PDT