View Diary: A Heads Up on Won't Back Down (43 comments)

•  Low-grade propaganda (22+ / 0-)

Good news is, audiences don't seem eager to pay to see this poisonous concoction in theaters.

And let the record show, the two lead actresses have definitely failed to win my gratitude and appreciation for lending their reputations to the project.

•  I won't be gong to see them again. So, I (8+ / 0-)

hope they were handsomely paid for this.

Not everything that can be counted counts. Not everything that counts can be counted. Albert Einstein

by annie em on Mon Oct 01, 2012 at 07:50:39 PM PDT

•  I am so disappointed in Viola Davis and (9+ / 0-)

Maggie Gylllenhaal.

They probably thought they were getting involved in a really good, socially conscious project.  And why not? Why would they be any different than other average Americans who've been smothered in big money propaganda against teachers' unions and kept ignorant of the real issues going on with public education, as well as who's pushing for privatization, and why.

If "elitist" just means "not the dumbest motherfucker in the room", I'll be an elitist! - David Rees from "Get Your War On".

by Oaktown Girl on Mon Oct 01, 2012 at 11:29:33 PM PDT

•  Maggie Gyllenhaal mus be distraught (6+ / 0-)

If you check her politics in Wikipedia you get this;

Gyllenhaal is politically active. At the 18th Independent Spirit Awards, she spoke out against the Iraq war, stating the reason for the invasion was "oil and imperialism". Gyllenhaal took part in Artists United to Win Without War, a campaign started by Robert Greenwald with the aim of advancing progressive causes and voicing opposition to the Iraq War. She and her brother Jake filmed a commercial for Rock the Vote, and visited the University of Southern California (USC) campus to encourage students to vote in the 2004 U.S. presidential election, in which she supported John Kerry. Gyllenhaal supported Barack Obama in the 2008 presidential election. She has campaigned on behalf of the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU), an organization her family strongly supports.
        I think her agent screwed her.  She didn't need this role.

Daily Kos an oasis of truth. Truth that leads to action.

by Shockwave on Tue Oct 02, 2012 at 10:40:08 AM PDT

•  I don't see anything about labor or relating to (6+ / 0-)

the growing income inequality there. There are plenty of lifestyle liberals who are very happy to sell out their less fortunate friends and neighbors. Haven't we all been watching some people who call themselves liberal do that for over thirty years. I, for one, have lost patience with that.

I feel inclined to cut Davis a bit more slack only because too many times I've read articles about how there are so few roles for black women in major movies. Still, the people in this movie were not decieved like the people who were in the anti-Muslim movie trailer. There's nothing subtle about this movie. It's a long union busting diatribe and exactly as tedious as that sounds. It's all in the script. In fact, one of the things that makes it lousy as cinema is just about every named character stands up and makes a speech at some point.

Meteor Blades has a sig line that says, "Don't tell me what you believe. Show me what you do and I'll tell you what you believe." My mother used to tell me that values aren't something you talked about; they are something you act on everyday. Maggie Gyllenhaal cares about one thing, money. If she were one step away from a homeless shelter, I might feel more kindly.

I'm a practical person. If Gyllenhall finds it useful to her career to make another "Get Out the Vote" video, I'd be all for it. That's doesn't mean that I respect her.

•  You got that exactly right about what you call (5+ / 0-)

"lifestyle liberals". That's why in the early 80's we (me and many of my fellow activists) re-took up label of "Progressive" and stopped calling ourselves "liberal". Progressives were the people who were active and fighting for justice on both the home front and in foreign policy. The "liberals" might have voted for Carter and Mondale over Reagan, but they really didn't want to do anything to fight for the cause or that would get their hands dirty by leaving their upscale schools and neighborhoods.

Not that I'm attached to labels, I'm just saying what happened. And it's why I get so made when people assume activists went from "liberal" to "Progressive" because the Right had successfully demonized the word "liberal", and so we just gave us the ghost and ran from that label. Nothing could be further from the truth.

by Oaktown Girl on Tue Oct 02, 2012 at 01:57:28 PM PDT

•  Many of my friends went from calling themselves (3+ / 0-)
              Kombema, radical simplicity, caul

liberal to calling themselves progressives for exactly the reason you describe. Your memory of that time matches mine. I still call myself a liberal and I have reasons why I do so. It's too long an explanation for a comment. It's one of those "diaries I might write one day" that jostles around in the back of my head. But I don't really care to split hairs about it. I understand why some people prefer progressive.

•  Make no mistake (0+ / 0-)

I have absolutely no problem with the word or label "liberal", or people that choose to claim it. Hell, I do! I freely refer to myself as either liberal or progressive. My major beef is with people who make ignorant, uninformed, and highly judgmental assumptions and declarations that people only call themselves "Progressive" because the Right wingers "demonized" "liberal".  That's total bullshit.

by Oaktown Girl on Mon Oct 08, 2012 at 09:07:43 PM PDT

•  Well, let's hope she learns something (3+ / 0-)

from this. Hopefully she will hear it from her more politically astute fans, and people everywhere who are aware of what's going on in this matter.

by Oaktown Girl on Tue Oct 02, 2012 at 01:47:22 PM PDT

•  Viola Davis to Play Barbara Jordan in Biopic (0+ / 0-)

“I believe all Southern liberals come from the same starting point--race. Once you figure out they are lying to you about race, you start to question everything.” ― Molly Ivins

by RoIn on Tue Oct 02, 2012 at 02:22:38 PM PDT