View Diary: Who is a Greater Threat to the United States? The "Obama Phone" Lady or Angry White Men with Guns? (161 comments)

•  but the way the right wing media has been ginning (7+ / 0-)

this up, there was a great story about not being able to meet demand because of fears about obama. and that doesn't even include the right-wing fringe types.

•  A story fit for Pravda. (12+ / 0-)

They're also going on about skewed polls.  You might be able to find a few survivalists who stockpile with the expectation that Obama's leading the country into the Second American Civil War, but let's face it.  The way the typical gun owner goes through ammunition, there's no way he seriously believes in any of that nonsense.

•  Not to mention that even completely rational (5+ / 0-)

gun owners who know that Obama isn't going to do anything will start stocking up in order to try to beat the price increase.  Let's put it this way, suppose you are a competitive sport shooter who goes through a thousand rounds a month training at the gun range.  If you knew that a price increase and possible shortage was coming due to the right wingers and other low information types stocking up would it not be rational to try to keep 4 to 5 thousand rounds (assuming ammo stays good for 6 months) on hand to avoid any availability issues?  The same thing would apply to recreational shooters and hunters though to a lesser degree (i.e. keep enough ammo to last either several months or the full hunting season as a buffer against sudden price increases).

There is no saving throw against stupid.

by Throw The Bums Out on Mon Oct 01, 2012 at 07:47:44 PM PDT

•  Big game hunters go through much less amo than (7+ / 0-)

one might think. I still have 17 cartridges left of the box of 20 I bought last year and will only use one or possibly two this year. At the range I shoot 30 per session, but those aren't premium hunting bullets. One shot one kill is probably normal.

I probably shoot more at the range than most and I shoot less than 300 center fires per year.

How big is your personal carbon footprint?

by ban nock on Tue Oct 02, 2012 at 04:53:46 AM PDT

•  That makes sense. However even a small town (7+ / 0-)

competitive shooter can go through 500 to 3000 rounds a month in practice.  I assume it would be even more at higher levels.

There is no saving throw against stupid.

by Throw The Bums Out on Tue Oct 02, 2012 at 05:06:46 AM PDT

•  When the weather's nice (5+ / 0-)

I go through 1000 rounds of .22 a month at LEAST.

"That the people have a right to bear arms for the defence of themselves and the State ..."- Vermont Constitution Chapter 1, Article 16

by kestrel9000 on Tue Oct 02, 2012 at 06:03:43 AM PDT

•  The idiot with the shooting gallery (2+ / 0-)
              caul, radabush

in the woods across the street from me must go through 1000 rounds in a weekend. All different calibers including a .50 cal automatic!
              Sounds like a war here every Sunday. And they can't be shooting at targets, they're just randomly firing as far as I can tell. When that .50 opens up, it's clearly NOT a target rifle.
              Someone told me that it's ammunition costs $7/shot! He's got to be burning a couple thousand dollars/weekend at that rate.
              I'm betting (though I'll never confirm it) that he's got a vienna sausage and the machine gun is his compensatory device.

•  Don't (10+ / 0-)
                do that. That's every bit as bigoted as saying gay men have lisps and limp wrists. Not cool at all.

by kestrel9000 on Tue Oct 02, 2012 at 07:52:55 AM PDT

•  Why can't they (4+ / 0-)

be shooting at targets? Few people just fire at random. And exactly what is a "target rifle"?

"A lie is not the other side of a story; it's just a lie."

by happy camper on Tue Oct 02, 2012 at 09:10:38 AM PDT

•  I believe they are shooting up a car (2+ / 0-)
                  caul, YucatanMan

I find shooting galleries in the woods all over this area, in one I found the remains of a dishwasher that had been shot so many times it was steel lace. I put it on a mahogany board and named it "When Suzy Homemaker met Eli Whitney".
                  But I also find among the thousands of shells ankle deep all over the "fire line", beer and liquor bottles. These are not hunters, they are not responsible sportsmen, they are the local macho party-animals, many of them fading into AngryOldWhiteMen, out drinking and playing with guns with the guys.
                  As for, what's a Target Rifle? http://www.2158atc.co.uk/...

•  a target rifle (1+ / 0-)
                  caul

A target rifle is a rifle optimized for shooting at targets at a range (circular definition but stay with me).  Since the aim of target shooting is to put all of the bullets through the smallest hole in the target possible (for example a dime-sized hole at 50 yards), there are a number of specialized things found in target rifles that aren't present in a hunting rifle or other firearm.

Typically it is a bolt action, single shot or limited magazine, with a relatively big barrel, heavy stock and either fairly fancy "open sights" - such as a micrometer peep site - or a fairly large and fragile telescopic sight.  They are big and heavy so they tend to stay in the same place between shots, the barrel is large so that it doesn't deflect much from heat. There is often a sling system that is used to hold the shooter and rifle into a rigid position.  My 0.22 target rifle weighs about 10-15 lbs (heavy for a 22 rifle) has a barrel that is over an inch wide at the narrow end, and uses a lyman micrometer sight and a hooded front site. It's great for the zen sport of putting one hole in a sheet of paper and rather awkward for other uses.  For comparision a common "plinking rifle" - a ruger 10/22 weighs about 5 pounds, is semi-automatic (fires every time you pull the trigger), has a detachable magazine with 10 rounds (there are ones that go to as many as 50 rounds), has a barrel that is much lighter, primitive open sights, and is no where near as accurate.

The idiots who fire just for the heck of it (most of the time the bullet won't hit anything important, but not always), are well, idiots who ought not to be shooting.  There are also people who fire at targets that aren't paper - it gives them a thrill - especially if it's a "reactive target" like a full soft drink, an spray can, or "tannerite".  I leave the range when I see them coming as I'm not too keen on practicing my first aid.

•  50 Cal Automatic. (2+ / 0-)
                kestrel9000, caul

Unusual for anyone to have a fully automatic 50 caliber M2 Browning.

And if he did, would he live in your neck of the woods and fire hundreds of rounds per weekend? Present price is between $3 and $4 per round.

4π^3 + π^2 + π

by Boris49 on Tue Oct 02, 2012 at 09:27:57 AM PDT

•  Unusual, yes (1+ / 0-)
                  caul

I thought it was illegal, but I'm assured by a mutual friend that it's legal. I don't know if it's a Browning. He said it was about $10K.
                  There is absolutely no reason that anyone should have one of these guns. That my neighbor across the street has one does not make me sleep well at night. What's next? A Gattling gun?

•  There was a real shortage of ammo for a while (7+ / 0-)

Right up front when President Obama ramped up the activity in Afghanistan while continuing the surge in Iraq.

That created a very large short-term demand for ammunition for use by our military members and all those government mercenaries contractors that Bush/Cheney bought.

So there really was a temporary shortage of ammo delivered to the civilian channels. Most of the production was focused on military orders and contracts.

The NRA never let up on this. Obama took office and there was a real, but temporary, slowdown in civilian ammo production.

Obama gonna takes yer gunns aweigh! It's a secret plot run by space aliens and the Illuminati. Or was it the Masons? Or Mormons. Or the Jooze. Or the Muzlimbs. Or flouridated water.

Somehow, it's never about the ones spending boatloads of money.That'd be too easy. It HAS to be a conspiracy. It's the ONLY possible explanation.

(The biggest threat to the US is complacency by those on our side of the fence).

"Never wrestle with a pig: you get dirty and the pig enjoys it"

by GrumpyOldGeek on Tue Oct 02, 2012 at 02:52:19 AM PDT