View Diary: Open thread for night owls: Government should always provide directly funded jobs to speed recovery (134 comments)

•  Excellent diary, (12+ / 0-)
    the more direct the policy measure—i.e., the fewer links in the chain between the policy and the job—the better it will work.

"Lets show the rascals what Citizens United really means."

by smiley7 on Thu Oct 04, 2012 at 08:39:14 PM PDT

•  My 98-year-old mother (19+ / 0-)

and all her over-80-year-old friends agreed two years ago that the president needed to institute a WPA-type program right then.  Three of the five ladies and one of the men in her group had been employed through WPA or CCC jobs during the depression and knew what life savers those programs were.

I had to remind them that there was no way the current congress would have agreed to the restoration of those programs or even their modern equivalents, and that just made them angry.  I was honored to sit there for the next hour and listen to their stories of being employed in FDR's programs and how those programs, literally, saved their lives and kept their families together.

"In this world of sin and sorrow there is always something to be thankful for; as for me, I rejoice that I am not a Republican." - H. L. Mencken

by SueDe on Thu Oct 04, 2012 at 08:56:42 PM PDT

•  You truly are honored (9+ / 0-)

to listen to their memories -- and I hope you see the many WPA sites which still exist in most everyone's nearby environments.

One of the primary reasons a WPA or CCC program couldn't be enacted today is because of regulations -- and that's not a bad thing.  You can't just construct stuff without first determining if it will screw something else up.

Roosevelt didn't have those restrictions.

Bless our Mom and her friends.  I just celebrated my Mom's 86th with 100 plus of her friends (in 104 frigging degrees).

" My faith in the Constitution is whole; it is complete; it is total." Barbara Jordan, 1974

by gchaucer2 on Thu Oct 04, 2012 at 09:01:30 PM PDT

•  I live in San Antonio. (6+ / 0-)

Our Riverwalk was a WPA project, and there is WPA-sponsored artwork all over downtown as well.

I had been feeling sorry for myself over the problems I was having during this recession/depression until I listed to those seniors recount their time during the 30's and 40's.  Holy crap.

by SueDe on Thu Oct 04, 2012 at 09:24:44 PM PDT

•  Honestly, my Mom gives me (5+ / 0-)

a whole different perspective.  Her mother's family had a dairy farm so that helped.  But she talked about all the sacrifice that generation made during the depression and then during WWII!!!!

We are very blessed to still have our Mothers and some of us (not me) our Fathers who can remind us of real sacrifice.

There are so many WPA projects that are being wrecked by bullshite development or stupid decisions re: value of the art.  My little post office has two great WPA paintings with John Brown -- I live in his hometown.

Cheers to your Mom and her friends.  Cheers to you for being a great daughter and listener and sponge for the next generations.

by gchaucer2 on Thu Oct 04, 2012 at 09:48:16 PM PDT

•  Maybe not "this Congress," but the Congress in (3+ / 0-)
        high uintas, tardis10, smiley7

2009 and 2010 might have done so with a good solid push.

How is it that Bush got his bills pushed through the Senate on reconciliation (including his tax cuts) and the Dems cannot when they've got a better position?  Strange.

by YucatanMan on Thu Oct 04, 2012 at 09:01:51 PM PDT

•  This conversation happened (6+ / 0-)

in early 2010, when it had become obvious that this wasn't your regular old recession and something was going to have to be done about jobs.  They all agreed that jobs were only going to be created by the federal government - or not at all.

And of course what we got was "not at all."

by SueDe on Thu Oct 04, 2012 at 09:28:06 PM PDT

•  in those days, the boys left the farm to work (4+ / 0-)
        blueoasis, smiley7, JeffW, SueDe

public works so they could earn hard money to pay the taxes on the farm while the girls pitched in and covered the chores and jobs the guys  used to do.

Supposedly Mortgage Lifter tomatoes also saved many farms from foreclosure during those dark days

•  Lewis Black explains public works programs (3+ / 0-)
      Pam from Calif, aarrgghh, smiley7

with comedy. Uhhhh, needless to say it's not safe for work.

But the angle said to them, "Do not be Alfred. A sailor has been born to you"

by Dbug on Thu Oct 04, 2012 at 10:57:15 PM PDT