View Diary: The Evening Blues - 10-5-12 (37 comments)

•  hey joe (9+ / 0-)
    “It’s like someone stealing my car and I have to pay to get it back,” said Tom Poor Bear, the vice president of the Oglala Lakota Tribe in South Dakota.
    It is exactly like that only 9,000,000,000 times worse.

I have OPOL on my mind. Hoping he's doing well and hanging in there.

•  evening burned... (7+ / 0-)

i told somebody else that every now and then i see a story that makes me ashamed of my country.  the story about how our country president has taken it upon himself to terrorize pakistan with drones was one, and this story is another.   it is just abominable the way that our country refuses to honor the treaties it has made with native americans.

i've been thinking about opol today, too.  i hope that there's good news soon.

i'm part of the 99% - america's largest minority

by joe shikspack on Fri Oct 05, 2012 at 05:23:42 PM PDT

•  There is a whole lot of giving back (7+ / 0-)

that this country should do. I think if we took that on and felt the relief that everyone would feel in not only admitting our wrongs but righting them as best we can after wrecking so many people and so much land, we'd learn a big lesson about how to get on with the rest of the world.

But that's just a moral in some fairy tale. An impossible dream of militants and rebels in reality. I was told that just today.
        I was told to get serious and stop talking impossibilities.

I'd rather die. :)

•  i hope that we can make it happen... (6+ / 0-)

as the generations pass, it seems like the dearly held "morality" of previous generations withers, witness the change in social attitudes towards mixed race couples or homosexuality.

perhaps we wil gradually evolve to become a better people.  hopefully we can do it before we destroy the earth.

i'm part of the 99% - america's largest minority

by joe shikspack on Fri Oct 05, 2012 at 05:44:37 PM PDT

•  I recently heard this local Iraqi-American (4+ / 0-)

activist speak after his return from Iraq where he spent a couple of years and witnessed the horrors of terrorist attacks by the US. Someone in the audience asked him how we could pay reparations to the Iraqis even as we are occupying Native American lands. His answer was too good - he said countries seeking reparations from US need to pick a number/token and get in line in the long queue. So funny if only it is not tragic. Dark comedy.

"The word bipartisan means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out”. - George Carlin

by Funkygal on Fri Oct 05, 2012 at 06:48:47 PM PDT

•  Joe My Father Isn't A Liberal (5+ / 0-)

He might have wrote the text book, I mean the literal text book, on the use of air power. That was before drones. He HATES them. Hates them. On most issues of war I differ to my dad. I mean he taught at the Army War College.

I will never forget, going to his retirement thing, I had a background check run on me and frisked. This was pre-9/11. His security clearance was off the chart.

He in retirement is livid against everything we're doing. The wars. How we conduct them. My dad is a bad ass mother fucker but I'd love to see on TV him against so many of those that propose war.

I swear that would be very fun to watch. They know not what they speak of .....

When opportunity calls pick up the phone and give it directions to your house.

by webranding on Fri Oct 05, 2012 at 05:42:44 PM PDT

•  heh... (5+ / 0-)

my dad was a hawk, too.  he served in wwii and was proud to do so.  he believed in the military and the rightness of our cold war against communism.  we had many a heated discussion about vietnam in my house, but over time my dad came to see that the kind of wars that we were fighting post-wwii did not meet the same standard of necessity and were not fought with the same honorable intentions.  i think that my dad, were he still alive would be appalled by the drone war that we are carrying on, it would offend all of his notions of honor and justice.

i'm part of the 99% - america's largest minority

by joe shikspack on Fri Oct 05, 2012 at 05:52:33 PM PDT

•  We Might Be Off A Few Years (4+ / 0-)

My dad couldn't get to Vietnam, and he tried to, cause he broke both legs jumping out of a plane in military high school.

My grandparents and WWII, well I won't talk to that.

I will never forget my father's teaching at the Army War College. A lot of folks we see on TV these days, my dad likes to joke they were in his classes.

The first book if you took his class was Sun Tzu's Art Of War. Now I will paraphrase a little, but:

if you have to fight you have already lost.
            His take you don't fight a war. Nothing wrong with having the brightest and the best military around, but doesn't mean you have to use it.

When opportunity calls pick up the phone and give it directions to your house.

by webranding on Fri Oct 05, 2012 at 06:02:36 PM PDT

•  I'd love to do (3+ / 0-)
          joe shikspack, Funkygal, ek hornbeck

an email or phone interview with him and publish it on our new site.  Think there's any chance that he'd be interested?  You could keep it as anonymous as is comfortable for you.

"Justice is a commodity"