View Diary: Was He Distracted by This? (27 comments)

•  Remember 2008? (0+ / 0-)

Remember John McCain suspending his campaign to go back to Washington to 'deal with' the banking crisis? And wanting to postpone the debate?

Remember the Obama campaign's response? That the President needs to be able to do more than one thing at a time?

You do realise that making excuses for the President actually makes him look like he's not up to the job, don't you?

The real enemy of the good is not the perfect, but the mediocre.

by Orange County Liberal on Fri Oct 05, 2012 at 07:17:19 AM PDT

•  Priorities: (4+ / 0-)

Running the world takes priority over taking out the trash.

•  I disagree with this post... (6+ / 0-)

... the author is not saying this at all.  There was no discussion of postponing the debate, the President was there and he participated.

He IS "the leader of the free world" and one of our NATO allies is ready to escalate a tense standoff into a hot war.  There is no way for us to know for sure, but it is easy to assume that the situation was evolving while he was on the debate stage (don't forget that the Turkish Parliament authorized force against the Syrians Thursday morning).

The reason we pay him is to lead and protect the country and its' interests 24/7/365.  We trust him to prioritize.  If the President looks across the stage and his over-caffeinated opponent is talking about whacking Big Bird, lying about his tax cuts, and screeching about $716B in Medicare cuts - the President probably was thinking "I'll let the campaign deal with this, I have other things to think about".  So he probably was doing more than one thing at a time.

To the author, my guess is that there were no Blackberries on stage for the President to check.

I haven't been here long enough to be considered a Kossack, does that mean that I'm just a sack?

by Hey338Too on Fri Oct 05, 2012 at 07:49:05 AM PDT

•  Good Point (2+ / 0-)
        Wee Mama, Hey338Too
        I hadn't thought about that. I do wonder though does anyone know what the protocol that is in place for situations where they need to get the President immediately in case of a crisis?

"A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world." Oscar Wilde

by michelewln on Fri Oct 05, 2012 at 08:05:58 AM PDT

•  First, you're missing the point. (0+ / 0-)

The point is, the President said a president must be able to multi-task.

But riddle me this: on a Saturday night, the President yukked it up at the White House Correspondents Dinner while knowing that Seal Team Six was on its way to Pakistan in one of the highest-risk moves of his Presidency. Yet he managed to pull off a heavily publicized, live broadcast without once tipping the fact that the raid to kill OBL was in progress.

Seriously, you diminish the man by suggesting that he couldn't debate Mitt Romney and manage the affairs of state - and indeed, if that was in fact the case, then Americans have a serious problem on their hands.

The real enemy of the good is not the perfect, but the mediocre.

by Orange County Liberal on Fri Oct 05, 2012 at 08:16:26 AM PDT

•  One difference there is that even the failure (3+ / 0-)

of the raid would be at most a conflict with Pakistan. By contrast the Turkey-Syria conflict is one that is both out of our control and one with potential to spread across the Mideast.

There is a good diary up now with evidence that the situation with Turkey is winding down.

Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary? . . . and respect the dignity of every human being.

by Wee Mama on Fri Oct 05, 2012 at 08:29:06 AM PDT

•  As Usual You Missed the Point (4+ / 0-)

You totally missed the point of the diary and misrepresented what I said. You have done this before and it is getting irritating to put it mildly. I never said that he couldn't handle foreign affairs and the debate. That is your meme not mine. The whole reason for the diary was to address the point made in other comments and diaries on the fact the President looked distracted. I was talking about what may have been the reason he looked distracted. I never said that he was ineffective in the debate and if you had bothered to read my comments while live blogging the debate you would know I thought he did a good job. Other people have understood the point I'm trying to make. Why can't you?

by michelewln on Fri Oct 05, 2012 at 08:46:53 AM PDT

•  Actually your the one diminshing the President... (2+ / 0-)
          michelewln, CwV

... The issue with OBL was totally out of the President's hands when he attended that dinner.  He made his decision and he THEN proceeded to "manage the affairs of state" for the next 48 hours.

On Wednesday the situation was ONGOING.  Turkey and Syria could not care in the least that there was a Presidential debate Wednesday night.  The President knew that the Turks and Syrians weren't going to chill out for 1.5 hours while he was on stage with the Buffoon from Boston.  So if he was distracted by the prospect of war, good - I'd be much more concerned if he didn't care and felt that the debate was more important.

by Hey338Too on Fri Oct 05, 2012 at 04:09:39 PM PDT