Skip to main content

View Diary: Not Just Self-Involvement, but Self-Devaluation: The Not-so-Obvious Problem in Our Society (17 comments)

Comment Preferences

  •  I Could Rant On This Topic For Hours (3+ / 0-)
    Recommended by:
    Troubadour, mamamorgaine, VClib

    I come from a family with some financial means. We could have gone to the most elite private schools from birth through college. We NEVER did. But my parents also looked long and hard at where we lived to ensure I had good public schools to attend.

    I currently live in a town of 5,500 folks. Rural. We are surround by corn fields for as far as the eye can see in every direction. I have the stats in front of me, my school district is one of the best not only in the state of IL but in the nation. We graduate 98.9% of all students.

    When you look at the end of the year where the Seniors are going to college it is like a "Whos Who." Harvard, Yale, Air Force Academy, MIT, you name it.

    Just the best. Somehow, and I don't think it was rocket science, we have figured out how to educate kids. Heck and we dominate in sports. Last year our football team got kicked out of the Conference cause we'd won it 20 years in a row.

    There is a story I like to tell. Again I live in IL. In 2008 we voted 57% for McCain. In the same election we voted 63% to raise our own property taxes to build a new, $60M high school.

    Ponder that for a few ....

    And you know the coolest thing about the school, with all its computer labs and stuff, the "shop classes." Kids in my town build their own cars at school. Wood working. You name it. Cause well we know not every kid will go to MIT, some might come to your house and fix your plumbing. And if the hourly wage I pay my plumber is any indication, that ain't a bad job :).

    When opportunity calls pick up the phone and give it directions to your house.

    by webranding on Fri Oct 05, 2012 at 01:06:25 PM PDT

    •  My experiences were kind of the reverse. (1+ / 0-)
      Recommended by:
      webranding

      My parents moved us to an affluent, planned community that had a reputation for having "great schools."  They were crap - the buildings were old, there wasn't much equipment, and they didn't care about the students at all unless you were one of the ones who made them look good.  For 95% of the student body, the schools were mediocre at best and often stifling, but they poured so much time and attention into the remaining 5% - AP students and athletes - that they fabricated a false reputation as good schools.  

      Since most of the kids came from rich families whose parents held the threat of military school over their heads, they could be ignored without much worry that they'd turn into discipline problems.  It was ludicrous - on one side of a wall were trailer classrooms with bad air conditioning and rusted playgrounds, and on the other were three-story houses worth over a million dollars.  The lawns next to the sidewalks that passed by the schools were better maintained than the schools.

      It was an object lesson in the psychological sickness of how conservatives think.

      Everything there is to know about the GOP: They're the Bad Guys.

      by Troubadour on Fri Oct 05, 2012 at 01:24:51 PM PDT

      [ Parent ]

      •  I Am Very Sorry To Hear That (3+ / 0-)
        Recommended by:
        Troubadour, mamamorgaine, VClib

        I now live in the town where I went to school. Moved back about 15 years after grad school. The schools were amazing when I was going to them, they seem to be even better now.

        As for sports, they are just a sidebar. Something else the school does. We dominate but I bet we could can all of them tomorrow and nobody would care that much. Sure a few parents would bitch, but I don't think that much.

        Almost every year he have a few students go to a huge DI school on a sports scholarship. Heck I went to college on one. They all soon figure out what I figured out, we are not as good as we thought and pro sports isn't in our life, maybe those classes we took will pay off cause I need to start studying :).

        When opportunity calls pick up the phone and give it directions to your house.

        by webranding on Fri Oct 05, 2012 at 01:41:10 PM PDT

        [ Parent ]

Subscribe or Donate to support Daily Kos.

Click here for the mobile view of the site