View Diary: Thank God For Italians: Submarines, Grinders and Hoagies...is there a difference? Yeah (175 comments)

•  I'm from Philly so it'll (12+ / 0-)

always be a hoagie, an Italian or ham n cheese or turkey hoagie. Hero's and subs were a NY thing and grinders were those toasted sandwiches like a tuna grinder with melted cheese.A sandwich used packaged sandwich bread. Shrimp or roast beef Po' boys In the South can be fantastic too.

It's all about the bread. Crusty and chewy but not stale. Not an oversized hot dog bun. Oregano and basil flavored oil but mayo was not verboten, lettuce, tomato and onion. Cherry peppers for me but not looked down upon if you'd prefer without.

When I lived near Detroit I never found a decent sandwich shop. That made me very sad.

Now that I'm near Tol., OH there is a place in Bolling Green, OH that imports rolls from Philly and makes a decent hoagie and cheesesteak.

I think next week I'll make it a three fer' in Bolling Green
    1. vote for Obama@ Wood County Courthouse
    2. get an Obama bumper sticker or sign at BG dem campaign office
    3. get an Italian hoagie.
    The campaign office is next door to the sandwich shop and both are 250 yards from the courthouse.

That sounds like a plan!

"We thought about it for a long time, "Endeavor to persevere." And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union."

by voodoochild62 on Fri Oct 05, 2012 at 10:04:04 PM PDT

•  it doesn't necessarily need to be in that order (1+ / 0-)
      Creosote

Oregon: Sure...it's cold. But it's a damp cold.

by Keith930 on Fri Oct 05, 2012 at 10:09:17 PM PDT

•  do you mean the (2+ / 0-)
        mkor7, Creosote

ingredients list or my trip to BG.  I'm afraid if I show up to the campaign office last I'll have to bring enough for everyone. hmm, maybe that's not a bad idea. ;)

by voodoochild62 on Fri Oct 05, 2012 at 10:18:27 PM PDT

•  I'm from south-central PA where, yes, (0+ / 0-)

they are called hoagies but also subs.  I think the term sub is probably more prevalent than hoagie these days.

To make the argument that the media has a left- or right-wing, or a liberal or a conservative bias, is like asking if the problem with Al-Qaeda is do they use too much oil in their hummus. Al Franken

by Youffraita on Fri Oct 05, 2012 at 10:10:22 PM PDT

•  sadly your right (0+ / 0-)

"south-central PA" one of the best pizzas I've ever had was on the banks of the Susquehanna in Harrisburg. My freinds and I drove out from Philly to see a Harrisburg Senators game and afterwards found a place to eat. We ordered two pies,one red and one white. The red was OK but the white was loaded with roasted garlic the size of your thumb. We ordered a second white pie because it was so good. Ah, Memories.

by voodoochild62 on Fri Oct 05, 2012 at 10:29:55 PM PDT

•  Pizza crust bread (1+ / 0-)
        voodoochild62

part of the problem is that most pizza shops use pizza crust as bread now a days. They can be good sandwiches but can't be a hoagie.

•  Oh and a T&R (2+ / 0-)
      grover, kayak58

for your appreciation of Italians. As someone whose name ends in a vowel with an apostrophe tossed in there as well, I thank you. My father's parents were from Abruzzo, Italy.

by voodoochild62 on Fri Oct 05, 2012 at 10:13:17 PM PDT

•  Ah! Paisan! (2+ / 0-)
        kayak58, voodoochild62

{Big Italian Hug}

Why don't we have a group here?

We should start one. I'm looking for a good struffoli recipe. Mine got lost in the move. I also had an amazing recipe for an Italian bread pudding that used a lot of rum (or brandy. I can't remember which) and  Italian bread.

With the holidays coming up, I'm scrambling to find good recipes for both.

© grover

Join Muppets Against Mitt! Go to www.barackobama.com to join now. This message brought to you by the number 2012 and the letters B and O.

by grover on Sat Oct 06, 2012 at 10:21:27 AM PDT

•  I've never been able to find a decent cheesesteak (1+ / 0-)
      kbman

outside of Philly. On the other hand, you have scrapple, so don't brag.

•  Don't be dissing scrapple (2+ / 0-)

As long as nobody tells you what's in it, it tastes great. Rapa is the best. (Though, as noted by Bill Cosby, you need to cook it right. That requires patience. If you try to flip it too soon it just falls apart and becomes mush. But you also need to be careful not to overcook it either.)

Free: The Authoritarians - all about those who follow strong leaders.

by kbman on Sat Oct 06, 2012 at 12:12:57 AM PDT

•  love scrapple (1+ / 0-)
          kbman

and changed supermarkets just cause the kroger stopped stocking it along with Taylor Pork Roll. Can't find Taylor pork roll anywhere else but with the Ohio Amish, scrapple is still available. I almost invariably have to try to describe it to each and every cashier though.
          My doctor and cholesterol don't like it though.

by voodoochild62 on Sat Oct 06, 2012 at 12:52:46 AM PDT

•  Is it heresy? I like ketchup on scrapple? (3+ / 0-)
            kbman, voodoochild62, 42

"A young man who wishes to remain a sound Atheist cannot be too careful of his reading. There are traps everywhere ". C. S. Lewis

by TofG on Sat Oct 06, 2012 at 07:19:47 AM PDT

•  Where in Ohio are you at? You can get Taylor (2+ / 0-)

Pork Roll (or Taylor Ham, if you're keeping it straight Jersey) at Carfagna's in Columbus.  I think they may also have scrapple as well, but I've never checked.

•  My mom's from Jersey/Philly suburbs (1+ / 0-)
            voodoochild62

I never saw her so pleased during my entire childhood as the day she found a specialty meat market in SoCal that sold pork roll and scrapple. She bragged on this food to such an extent that everyone in the family was ready for the Greatest Culinary Treat Ever!!!!

Pork roll is at best okay and scrapple is a vile abomination. We were appalled that she not only liked that stuff but BRAGGED about it. It got to the point that she'd have her parents, the other East Coasters, over and they would have pork roll while the rest of us had burgers or something.

No one would eat scrapple with her. I had her over for Mother's Day Brunch as an adult and made her scrapple. Crusty brown and still just awful. My husband ate it with her and the rest of us had bacon.

•  they have something like scrapple (2+ / 0-)
              voodoochild62, SeekCa

in several places around the country.  In Cincinnati, they have Goetta while Eastern NC has liver pudding and Western NC (where I'm originally from) has livermush.  Damned shame I'm on the other side of the planet from any of 'em right now...

•  you must understand, my definition of (1+ / 0-)
        FourthOfJulyAsburyPark

decent has been dumbed down. But Philly has roast pork sandwiches which I could brag about endlessly and is also close enough to Trenton, NJ. to include their delicious tomato pie pizzas as a Philly import.
        When in New Orleans a friend asked for scrapple at breakfast...waiter said "excuse me"  I had to tell my friend the sad truth.

by voodoochild62 on Sat Oct 06, 2012 at 01:08:39 AM PDT

•  Let me tell you a story about NC "cheesesteaks" (4+ / 0-)

In January, 1977, I went to Raleigh, NC to attend NC State U. The first day in town I went into a restaurant and ordered a “cheesesteak,” to which the waiter told me that they did not serve them, but told me that a sub shop around the corner called Sadlack’s did.

So I walked into Sadlack’s and ordered a “cheesesteak, with mushrooms, but no red sauce” a few minutes after I ordered, the waiter came back and asked me if I really wanted mushrooms on it, and I yes, but no red sauce. Within a minute he delivered a plate with a slice of cheesecake, topped with, of course mushrooms, as the cook came out of the kitchen to watch me it. That was when I realized I was a stranger in a strange land.

"There are many truths of which the full meaning cannot be realized until personal experience has brought it home." John Stuart Mill

by kuvasz on Sat Oct 06, 2012 at 01:33:44 PM PDT

•  Funny. That reminds me of a story a student once (2+ / 0-)
          voodoochild62, Khun David

told me about how she was working in Cambodia and living in a small village. Before she left, they wanted to have a dinner in her honor. They proudly presented her with a plate of rice topped with mayonaise. She was French and apparently her hosts had gotten the notion that mayonaise was a sauce that the French put on everything. She said they were very proud of serving their guest real French food. "What could I do? I ate it."

•  this is why I don't eat sushi in Oklahoma (0+ / 0-)

or order cornbread in Los Angeles, or biscuits and gravy in the Pacific Northwest.  Some places just don't get it, and never will.

Oregon: Sure...it's cold. But it's a damp cold.

by Keith930 on Sat Oct 06, 2012 at 04:38:12 PM PDT

•  Two suggestions for you, (0+ / 0-)

for cheesesteak, Joeys on Northline Road in Southgate, MI. he imports his bread from Philly, has Herr's chips and Tastykakes.  For a straight-up sandwich, go to Zingermans in Ann Arbor. They bake their own bread, use high end quality meats and cheeses, and are sublime. Toledo is a little trickier, not a big. fan of Tony Packo's, Rudy's or Nettie's for hot dogs, and haven't found that one place for sublime sandwiches. sorry for my typos, I-pads suck to type on.

F--- Scott & Fitzgerald