View Diary: Thank God For Italians: Submarines, Grinders and Hoagies...is there a difference? Yeah (175 comments)

•  Worst Mexican food I've had.... (6+ / 0-)

....was at a hole-in-the-wall Mexican restaurant in Kearney, Nebraska, run by an actual Mexican.

Every culture has bad cooks......

9-11 changed everything? Well, Katrina changed it back.

by varro on Sat Oct 06, 2012 at 11:06:08 AM PDT

•  Amen (3+ / 0-)
      varro, happynz, grover

It's a shame some truly bad cooks take it upon themselves to go into the restaurant business.

Still...I'd bet it's easier to find decent Mexican food in Nebraska than it is in Ohio.  Ohioans are born with a genetic disorder that makes them break into hives at the mere sight of any pepper with a scoville rating over 150.

Oregon: Sure...it's cold. But it's a damp cold.

by Keith930 on Sat Oct 06, 2012 at 12:28:30 PM PDT

•  Probably because Ohio and W Pa.... (0+ / 0-)

....for all their ethnic diversity, have few Mexican-Americans.  Then again, there's hot sausage....

9-11 changed everything? Well, Katrina changed it back.

by varro on Sat Oct 06, 2012 at 01:36:10 PM PDT

•  Not all Ohioans! (5+ / 0-)

I used to frequent a Mexican restaurant in Leipsic, Ohio, which used to have a large summer influx of migrant workers to handpick the tomatoes, back when this part of Ohio was a tomato capitol. Luckily, some of them settled here and have been longtime residents since those days.

And I ate frequently at this nondescript place (part grocery store, with about 8 tables to dine at in the back).

The owner, Jesse, made the most awesome Mexican food from scratch till he died about two years ago. I still miss his hueveo con papa en chorizo which was the greatest breakfast to go cycling on.

Jesse would beam when I walked in with my cycling helmet under my arm and tell everyone, "He rode eight miles on his bike just to eat here!" and everyone would grin.

Often, when I dined, he'd come out with a small bowl of some soup or a plate with something he was cooking and have me taste it so he could get my opinion.

I'd laugh and say "I was his test gringo" and he'd laugh and wait for my verdict.

God I miss that man and his sweet smile and of course his oh-so-fine cooking!

henlesloop

"Upward, not Northward" - Flatland, by EA Abbott

by linkage on Sat Oct 06, 2012 at 09:20:49 PM PDT

•  Makes me chuckle (1+ / 0-)
          Buckeye54

to see Leipsic and good Mexican food together. I went to a co-workers wedding there 35 years ago, and while it was lovely countryside and farmland, it was not what one would consider cosmopolitan.  That being said, right across the state line into far southeastern MI, we do have a couple of small Mexican store/restaurant combos that are better than the usual suspects, and run by former migrant workers and their families. Still can't compare to the manna from heaven I found at hole-in-the-wall places in New Mexico.

F--- Scott & Fitzgerald

by henlesloop on Sun Oct 07, 2012 at 05:28:46 AM PDT

•  Including Italians n/t (2+ / 0-)
      varro, grover

You get what you deserve, even if you don't deserve it (Issan Dorsey, Zen teacher)

by kayak58 on Sat Oct 06, 2012 at 12:43:20 PM PDT

•  Tippi's Taco House in Philadelphia (0+ / 0-)

I guess I should have known, but I was jonesing for some Mexican, and it was the ONLY Mexican Restaurant in the whole area in 1977.  My combination plate came in an aluminum TV dinner type tray.