View Diary: Progressive People Should Give $ to Warren's Campaign (Despite Her Disrespect of Native People) (114 comments)

•  All that means is, there's no documentation (1+ / 0-)
    raincrow

and absence of evidence isn't necessarily evidence of absence.

The point here is that Scott Brown has been claiming that absence of evidence IS evidence of absence, calling Ms. Warren a liar and a cheat and a thief, and blackening her name in every way he possibly can. And we know why he's doing it: he wants to be re-elected and he's got nothing else to run on.

And the diarist is aiding and abetting Scott Brown in doing that, based on his own preconceptions as to who "deserves" to be counted as what.

This is not good and not fitting for a site that is supposed to be dedicated to electing more and better Democrats.

If it's
    Not your body,
    Then it's
    Not your choice
    And it's
    None of your damn business!

by TheOtherMaven on Sat Oct 06, 2012 at 10:03:31 PM PDT

•  I'm no friend of the diarist. But let's face it... (4+ / 0-)
      navajo, Glen The Plumber, Aji, raincrow

...Warren indicated in several venues that she is Indian based solely on the oral history of her family. It appears that there was talk about this, and it may well be true. However...

She never made an effort to find out about her heritage, she never did the genealogical work.

And despite what she said about putting herself into the American Association of Law Schools directory so she connect with people like herself, she did not make any real attempts to make such connections despite there being ample opportunity with say, the National Native American Bar Association (founded 1973) or the Native American Rights Fund (founded 1970). She never attended the Annual Indian Law Conference (begun in 1975).

There is no evidence that she has ever visited a reservation or taken any interest in Indian affairs whatsoever.

I support Warren's candidacy and have contributed money to her campaign despite feeling, as do most Indians I know, unhappy with the "check-box" aspects of her Indianness. Scott Brown is no ally for the tribes. Nor for urban Indians. And he is using Warren's choice to call herself Indian as a cudgel to get himself reelected where much of what he supports damages Indians.

But it is still my view that what Warren did was wrong. And, I firmly believe we would have beaten Scott Brown over the head  if he had been the one who had made a claim of being Indian without ever having associated with or made Indian connections or issues a priority in his life.

by Meteor Blades on Sun Oct 07, 2012 at 12:14:57 AM PDT

•  You do realize Scott Brown STARTED this brouhaha? (0+ / 0-)

That's the REAL point - he stumbled across or was handed this information and realized he could make political hay by making a very public stink about it and forcing Ms. Warren into a lose-lose position.

Genealogy is not everyone's idea of a fun hobby. Genealogical research takes a lot of time. Reliable genealogists cost a lot of money. And not everyone CAN connect all the dots. Sometimes you just hit a brick wall.

Unless somebody bothers to ask her point-blank, we'll probably never know if she made the attempt, hit the brick wall, and decided it wasn't worth throwing away more time (and maybe money) on something that had become unprovable.

Her "Native American ancestry" claim was old, OLD news and mostly forgotten until the GOP bloodhounds dug it up again and started baying about it. There is no evidence that she ever gained any advantage by it. There is no evidence that she even publicly made the claim after about 1996. (Is that when she hit the brick wall?)

I know about the brick wall. I've got one, three generations back - a great-grandfather in the direct male line about whom very little is known, and it's not clear that any more can be learned. What's especially annoying is that he shared a last name with a couple of people I consider thoroughly unsavory. I'd like to know I was not related to them - but you know how hard it is to prove a negative.

If it's
        Not your body,
        Then it's
        Not your choice
        And it's
        None of your damn business!

by TheOtherMaven on Sun Oct 07, 2012 at 09:01:39 PM PDT

•  I am not persuaded by this excuse... (3+ / 0-)
          Aji, navajo, Glen The Plumber

...am you failed to respond to a key claim of hers—she signed up as an Indian in the directory in hopes an Indian or two would see that reference and ring her up? I have never seen Warren as a shrinking violet in going after something she wants, which is one reason I support her candidacy. Someone who wants to connect with others of an ethnicity that the someone claims repeatedly to be in professional lists and applications and résumés should have no difficulty doing so. A couple of phone calls will do it.

As for who started it, of course I'm aware. It's a campaign for U.S. Senate. Such campaigns are brutal affairs powered by money and motivation to dig out anything that can be used against a candidate, no matter how old. If it had been Brown who did this, and the Democrats had a weak candidate instead of the strong one they have, he would be targeted on this.

by Meteor Blades on Mon Oct 08, 2012 at 03:47:02 AM PDT

•  I asked myself how I would feel if (0+ / 0-)

she passed herself off as Calitrian, signed up for the Calitri newsgroup and so forth, and she not only had no ancestors from Calitri, but no Italian ancestors at all. I'd be mildly annoyed and mildly amused, and I'd wonder what she was playing at. But that would be pretty much the extent of it, I'm afraid.

If it's
            Not your body,
            Then it's
            Not your choice
            And it's
            None of your damn business!

by TheOtherMaven on Mon Oct 08, 2012 at 10:01:36 PM PDT

•  I should add that I'm not active at all on that NG (0+ / 0-)

so you might well ask me why I bother.

I got no answer for ya.

If it's
              Not your body,
              Then it's
              Not your choice
              And it's
              None of your damn business!

by TheOtherMaven on Mon Oct 08, 2012 at 10:42:52 PM PDT