View Diary: Can you help me help this Kitty? (88 comments)

•  Yes, I did... (9+ / 0-)
    At first I thought she was a stray and I made up some fliers and posted them around the neighborhood. I didn't even get a crank call.
    That included asking around. I went to the neighborhood community center for help as well.

She looks good now, but was fur and bones when she found me a month ago.

Thanks for the tweet! :-)

"The most American thing you can do is to stand up for the dignity of someone else."

by marabout40 on Mon Oct 08, 2012 at 06:07:41 AM PDT

•  Have you had her checked for a microchip? It (3+ / 0-)
      Horace Boothroyd III, 4Freedom, weck

reads like you haven't. if you haven't, that is irresponsible. have her checked. Make sure they check much more than the usual small place. Microchips MIGRATE, they don't tell people that. Every time a pet goes to a vet, the pet needs to be checked, so the pet can be microchipped again.

If the cat has been THROUGHLY checked for a microchip, I apologize. If it hasn't, get the cat checked as soon as you can.

That cat is NOT feral, no feral cat would stay still long enough for a picture unless confined. That cat belongs to someone. It is your responsibility to get that cat checked. You may find a picture of the cat at the ASPCA. If I lost a cat, that is the first place I would put a picture.

Did you take the cat to the nearest three vets, asking if they knew her? Or would be willing to check for a microchip?

My personal computer is limited, can't post without tagging on. Community computer better. Pardon tagging to comments, spelling, please.

by CuriousBoston on Mon Oct 08, 2012 at 06:30:23 AM PDT

•  hmm... (10+ / 0-)

this is a feral cat.  Totally and absolutely feral:

I've been feeding him for 3 years now... he showed up with his brother (who has long since disappeared) when they were young, less than a year old.

I can actually get quite close to him.  And he keeps me company in the garden.  He sits under the bird feeders and lets seed spray on top of him since he's fairly well-fed (by me).

while he allows me to come quite near, and will also roll on his back to scratch it as all cats will behave in the sun and on nice rough concrete, I've simply never been able to touch him.  He runs up the back stoop for food.  He waits in the rain for his dinner.  He waits for my car to pull in after work.

He is not a stray. He doesn't belong to anyone.

All the suffering of this world arises from a wrong attitude.The world is neither good or bad. It is only the relation to our ego that makes it seem the one or the other - Lama Anagorika Govinda

by kishik on Mon Oct 08, 2012 at 06:43:03 AM PDT

•  I posted to marabout. You may want to try a (1+ / 0-)
          4Freedom

Haveaheart trap to get the cat chipped, or read, spayed, or neutered. Of course, that is your decision. Marabout has a cat that a family may still be looking for.

Our definitions of feral are different, :). I helped capture a batch of ferals wearing work gloves and cardboard boxes. We couldn't get traps. Straight to the ASPCA. Winter was coming, the person who owned the store they were in back of wanted them gone, gave us a week. HE wasn't going to call the ASPCA, that we knew.

by CuriousBoston on Mon Oct 08, 2012 at 06:56:36 AM PDT

•  Feral cats - a definition & a plea (8+ / 0-)

I have to disagree with your definition of feral.  I've been caring for a colony of 7 here, and I can certainly take pictures of them, especially at feeding time.  Most of them like me, and some of them can be petted along their backs.  A few rub their heads on me, and there's one that comes and asks to be petted when he's lost a fight or isn't feeling well.  But they're definitely feral, most of them were born in the hundreds of acres of woods that surround my property.

A few of them have a strong interest in my house, and what's in there, and have actually run in the door when it's open.  Their bravery fails if the door gets closed behind them, and they lose their minds, flinging themselves against the windows.

I think ultimately, maybe 3 out of the 7 could be tameable pets someday, in a home with no children.

Here's the plea -  Everyone please keep this feral colony in the backs of your minds, and if you hear of any possible relocation sites on the east coast (say, from Va. south...), please let me know.  I have to move in the spring of 2013, and I have to relocate this colony.  Someplace with a barn and a rodent problem would be ideal, and I'm offering to buy/build an enclosure and pay a stipend for food.  Tell your friends and please help spread the word!  Thanks.

•  I know of... (5+ / 0-)

one rescue org that actually fosters barn cats... cats that are from feral colonies, for the use of those with barns and have no expectation that these cats will ever be pets (in the sense that they will be housecats).  It's an org that i adopted my second FIV+ cat from - she was found living in a feral colony, but they suspected she was either lost, dumped or simply a stray that found her way to a place where there was a food supply.

Good luck with that.  I'm much further north than your location.

by kishik on Mon Oct 08, 2012 at 08:51:34 AM PDT

•  Clues...when it seems like the (2+ / 0-)
          Clues, kishik

and it is still necessary...please consider posting this in the Pootie diaries.  People there are very kind and it should help spread the word...and perhaps also you could ask some of the Kos groups close to you.

Good luck and thx for being so kind/sh

•  Thanks (2+ / 0-)
            kishik, ShoshannaD

I've posted in one pootie diary, and will return every couple weeks or so to do it again.  I don't want to overpost and wear out my welcome, or have my plea become so commonplace that people skip over it.  I do plan to put up an occasional diary as well asking for help, but with the elections so close, I figured it wouldn't get much attention until afterward.

•  I would say... (2+ / 0-)
              ShoshannaD, Clues

keep putting it up in the pootie diaries - it won't be an annoyance, but more that your plight will be easily recognized as time grows nearer because people ARE aware.

There are orgs that work primarily with matching up feral colonies with barn owners that need their services as rodent control.

I can see if the one that I adopted one of my cats from has any connections or have networked with similar orgs down south?  Will get back to you if I get a positive response.

by kishik on Tue Oct 09, 2012 at 06:09:30 AM PDT

•  Thanks so much (1+ / 0-)
                kishik

I've been doing searches for feral cat organizations and contacting them, but so many only have links for donating money and supplies on their websites, and n way to contact them to ask for help.  They're probably overrun, I know, but the one organization I was able to get in touch with thought my offer was very generous, so maybe that will help.