View Diary: "We broke the Arctic." Bill on Bill: McKibben on Maher (49 comments)

•  See That Is Not True (1+ / 0-)
    mightymouse

my parents in a few weeks with vote for Mitt. I know many others that will join them. Almost everybody I mentioned here thinks global warming, man made, is a reality. This should not be a problem.

When opportunity calls pick up the phone and give it directions to your house.

by webranding on Wed Oct 10, 2012 at 01:20:34 PM PDT

•  I'm not sure what to make of your comment. It (7+ / 0-)

sounds like you are saying that your republican voting parents understand that global warming is real and that we humans have caused it and at the same time you are saying that they are voting republican anyway.....Doesn't that kind of make my point?

The other alternative is that they just don't give a damn if we destroy the planet. I mean, according to you, they are intelligent enough to understand the problem. If that's true then they should also be intelligent enough to understand that the repubs aren't going to do a damn thing to save the planet, in fact they want to increase oil production and keep burning coal until the planet is so fucked that nothing but cockroaches can survive. So, I don't get it.  I truly don't understand what you are trying to say.

Just give me some truth. John Lennon--- OWS------Too Big To Fail

by burnt out on Wed Oct 10, 2012 at 01:36:02 PM PDT

•  See And Your Comment Is Why We Lose Elections (2+ / 0-)
        mightymouse, Kombema

my parents totally understand global warming. Heck I talk to them 24/7 and I am still confused. They are pro teacher and public schools. For unions. Heck they are worth millions and millions and don't mind if they pay more in taxes.

Heck my parents are even for gay rights....

But they will vote for Mitt. My gut, is they just do this and have for 40 or so years and it is just what they do.

When opportunity calls pick up the phone and give it directions to your house.

by webranding on Wed Oct 10, 2012 at 01:43:40 PM PDT

•  Oh I see, damn, I never realized I was causing us (3+ / 0-)

to lose elections. Maybe you could elaborate on that and explain how I am doing that. And then explain to me why you  believe that someone who is

pro teacher and public schools. For unions and don't mind if they pay more in taxes and are even for gay rights
          , and are intelligent thinking people could even consider voting republican. I'm trying to make some sense of what you are saying but it isn't adding up.

Just give me some truth. John Lennon--- OWS------Too Big To Fail

by burnt out on Wed Oct 10, 2012 at 01:55:13 PM PDT

•  Pretty Sure I Was Clear (1+ / 0-)
            Kombema

IMHO the problem you have, and it is a problem, is if folks hold the same ideas you have then they must vote in the same way. If they don't then you belittle them. Then are stunned, stunned they might not vote for your party.

When opportunity calls pick up the phone and give it directions to your house.

by webranding on Wed Oct 10, 2012 at 02:05:11 PM PDT

•  Ok, time for me to get off this merry go round (0+ / 0-)

since it obviously isn't going anywhere. Sorry that it has upset you but I stand by my original comment, and I do so for all the reasons that I've just laid out. But you aren't getting it and I don't know how I can explain it better so time for me and my

problem
              to move on.

Just give me some truth. John Lennon--- OWS------Too Big To Fail

by burnt out on Wed Oct 10, 2012 at 02:13:19 PM PDT

•  problem? no. (2+ / 0-)
              ladybug53, A Siegel
              if folks hold the same ideas you have then they must vote in the same way
              It seems reasonable to expect people to vote according to the ideas they have.  If folks hold the same ideas you have and don't vote to support them, when those specific ideas are ones that are clearly and openly supported by one party and just as clearly and openly not supported by the other, that's ... well, that's kind of bewildering.

Which is not to say no one of intelligence could ever decide to do that.  All it requires is that there is some other issue that they consider more important, on which the other party is more in line with what they want.

If that other issue is nothing but party loyalty, though, then I'm sorry but that is incredibly stupid.  There really isn't any politer way to describe it.

•  so ... (3+ / 0-)

... if I read this right, what you're saying is that your parents don't vote based on those issues?

What are they basing their votes on?  And why?

•  so we lose elections (2+ / 0-)
          too many people, A Siegel

Because we have a problem with people who vote against their own interests?

I don't understand, and in reference to further comments on this topic, no you aren't clear.

It's obvious that with Republicans in charge, global warming will accelerate until it destroys us.

That is upsetting to say to some people, I guess.

It's even more upsetting to pull them to one side and say "hey, this world you're leaving to me, it's going to be fucking shit if you keep voting oil barons into power.  How about considering that over your hate for the Negro for once?"

Sorry, just not getting it.  At some point, it stops being polite and starts being a fucking emergency and that is where we are NOW.