View Diary: Late Night Wacky Test Diary (120 comments)

•  I have a bag of cat treats on my desk... (7+ / 0-)

Actually, there are three bags, because I was trying to find the one cats like best. And apparently I was desperate for some kitty affection. Desperate enough to buy cat treats. Three times.

Fry, don't be a hero! It's not covered by our health plan!

by elfling on Thu Oct 11, 2012 at 12:08:59 AM PDT

•  I have most of a baker's dozen of cats in (8+ / 0-)

my house today, because I am a sucker for my kids and their pleas.

First we had 3 adults.

Then a pregnant stray took up behind the old shed, and they said, "Can we keep her?" Oh sure, they would find homes for the baby(s). And they did, except for the black one with siamese features (and personality).

Then I got "look, it was under my friend's apartment and rats were trying to eat it" and there was a teacup-sized, scrawny furball that didn't even have the eyes open yet. What could I say?

Seven months later.... and there were three new babies. At this point, I stomped my feet and sworn "no more".

You can guess how well that went.

So I (and my local JAWS) are spaying the females (two down, four to go) this year - and I'll be getting the boys done in the spring.

And if anyone ever asks me to take in another stray cat? I can't be held responsible for the carnage that will ensue.

"Taxes are what we pay for civilized society.''
        -- SCOTUS Justice O.W. Holmes Jr
        "I like paying taxes...with them, I buy Civilization"
        -- Angie in WA State

by Angie in WA State on Thu Oct 11, 2012 at 12:33:27 AM PDT

•  You may remember me talking about orange kittens (8+ / 0-)

I still have them. This it be a problem, with half the household allergic to cats.

Fry, don't be a hero! It's not covered by our health plan!

by elfling on Thu Oct 11, 2012 at 12:35:48 AM PDT

•  On the good side, (6+ / 0-)

No one would ever mistake them for feral now.

Fry, don't be a hero! It's not covered by our health plan!

by elfling on Thu Oct 11, 2012 at 12:37:01 AM PDT

•  we are at eight, (0+ / 0-)

of which 6 live in the house and two want to.  Five of the eight are feral rescues from the neighborhood.  All come and go in and out freely through cat doors.

So what was the change in the new comments?  Seems the same to me.

don't always believe what you think

by claude on Thu Oct 11, 2012 at 05:53:04 AM PDT

•  That's excellent (0+ / 0-)

we want them to seem the same.

The change is that the (new) is being stored in your browser instead of in our server. The consequence is that if you use multiple devices, they'll all have a different new count, unlike before where it was tied to your login.

Fry, don't be a hero! It's not covered by our health plan!

by elfling on Thu Oct 11, 2012 at 06:25:45 AM PDT

•  And what is the benefit of this? (0+ / 0-)

Less memory usage in the server?

Please use small words in your reply, it took me a while to frame the question.

"I believe more women should carry guns. I believe armed women will make the world a better place. Women need to come to think of themselves not as victims but as dangerous." Anna Pigeon

by glorificus on Thu Oct 11, 2012 at 08:05:09 AM PDT

•  I'll try (2+ / 0-)
                  glorificus, claude

In order to know what comments you've seen (which actually is which comments we've shown to you on a full diary reload), we have to write a little bit of information to our database about who you are and which was the last comment you saw.

Under normal circumstances, this is spread through the day and is not a big burden.

Now, imagine if, say, 25,000 people all go into a new diary at the exact same time. Say, for example, if an editor told them to all go into a new liveblog thread.

It's the difference between your local fast food restaurant serving 1200 burgers a day by serving 100 an hour versus serving 1200 burgers between 12:00 pm and 12:05 pm. :-) It makes the customers grumpy and the staff flat. And the queue that results means that the last customers aren't served until after they've lost interest in the burger.

Fry, don't be a hero! It's not covered by our health plan!

by elfling on Thu Oct 11, 2012 at 08:36:25 AM PDT

•  Thank you. I've often wondered how (0+ / 0-)

everything gets accommodated.

• Science (19)
  • Labor (18)
  • Education (17)
  • Elections (16)
  • Marriage Equality (16)
  • Media (16)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (16)
  • Economy (15)
  • Republicans (14)
  • Ireland (14)
  • Josh Duggar (13)
  • Racism (13)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site