View Diary: Obama's FIRED UP and AWESOME in Miami, FL (116 comments)

•  When the campaign is done (11+ / 0-)

I'm not sure it will be painted as a blunder at all.  I think it was a rope-a-dope.

When the truth is only a matter of opinion, advantage goes to the liars.

by Sun dog on Thu Oct 11, 2012 at 02:15:48 PM PDT

•  Giving up the lead (15+ / 0-)

is always a blunder

Never believe your own press, never drink your own KoolAid

by Mindful Nature on Thu Oct 11, 2012 at 02:27:51 PM PDT

•  I think they knew that they wouldn't be in the (10+ / 0-)

lead the entire campaign.  However, no one, not Obama, not you, not me, not anyone, could really know what Romney would say.  In a way, the first debate had to happen the way it did.  It was the only way to get Romney on the record, in front of millions, without the assistance of his campaign to quietly walk back his comments in the middle of the night.

Now that Romney has shared his views with 70 million people, he has to stand by them.

•  Seriously (2+ / 0-)
          rubyclaire, GAS

How do you predict and prepare for someone to come in and out and out lie about every single thing in manic succession?

He expected a couple of adults having a debate and instead it was the hyper middle school kid off his ADD meds.

Should he have turned on a dime, pivoted, and shot off something pithy?

Sure, and I should be cuddling with someone looking an awful lot like George Clooney right now.  It's thundering outside.

But the world isn't perfect (alas) and neither is Barack Obama.  I wasn't really mad at him for his debate performance.  I was mad at the fact that the electorate is so lame and clueless, and the media so lazy and lacking in integrity that it is actually possible to say someone "won" a PRESIDENTIAL debate when all he did was lie really assertively.  He just has to "seem" like he's not a dangerous sociopath, and his numbers shoot right up!

Don't we want more than theater to help us decide who to vote for?  I mean, how is it that I'm reading about how DEMS are liars, and some jackass in the WSJ is saying the dems use the word "liar" as a tactic (boo fucking hoo) and frucken Piers Morgan is attacking Stephanie Cutter because the $5t is offset by [magical math] so it's not really $5t, now is it Ms. Cutter, huh?  Huh?

Ahh.  I could go on.  I want to see Joe kick some ass tonight.

Why is it that a 3% tax increase for the wealthy is considered "socialism" and an 8% wage cut for the middle class is "doing your part"? MartyM

by delphine on Thu Oct 11, 2012 at 05:02:02 PM PDT

•  How do you predict? (0+ / 0-)

Easy. I predicted it, past tense, because it is what Romney has been doing for a year now.  Where have you been?   Expecting an adult conversation for a Republican?  Who do you think he's running against, Bob Dole?   Seriously if the campaign didn't see this from a million miles away someone needs to be fired

Never believe your own press, never drink your own KoolAid

by Mindful Nature on Thu Oct 11, 2012 at 06:34:40 PM PDT

•  Not necessarily (8+ / 0-)

Giving up the lead on election day would certainly be a blunder.  But we all know the press was dying for something, ANYTHING positive to spin out a Romney Surge.  It was obvious that CNN and the rest of the supposedly 'mainstream' press was annoyed at Obama taking a commanding lead early on and just building on it.  Balance is their god, not objectivity.  And I think that's a reflection of a basic American personality trait.  I remember New Hampshire Obama supporters saying they switched to Clinton in the primaries after Iowa because they didn't think he should just cruise to victory.  This tendency is seen over and over and they were going to find some way to help Romney at least appear to take charge in the race for a time.  Why not the first of three debates?  It's a lot better than the last one.

When the truth is only a matter of opinion, advantage goes to the liars.

by Sun dog on Thu Oct 11, 2012 at 02:56:53 PM PDT

•  not for Seabiscuit! (3+ / 0-)
        Cedwyn, TravnTexas, Larsstephens

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see. ~ Thoreau

by newpioneer on Thu Oct 11, 2012 at 04:08:24 PM PDT

•  Just like the tortoise and the hare? n/t (0+ / 0-)
    •  I think it was a bad night. (0+ / 0-)

I think it was a tired President.
      I think it was a man who'd much rather be enjoying his 20th. wedding anniversary with his wife than dealing with this bozo.

I think I'm with him.