View Diary: Another Scott Walker Associate GUILTY (56 comments)

•  C'mon. (15+ / 0-)

All we need is one to rat him out.  The mere thought of spending years in lock up has to have them thinking.

Demagogue: one who preaches doctrines he knows to be untrue to men he knows to be idiots.--H. L. Mencken

by Ice Blue on Fri Oct 12, 2012 at 04:46:35 PM PDT

•  Eventually (25+ / 0-)

someone's going to break under pressure and throw him under the bus. [here's to optimism] I am sooo looking forward to hearing about this when Puddy's bat-phone rings at 3am with the news!

•  Nobody calls (30+ / 0-)

I get the news the old fashioned way - digging through the local and state online press so you don't have to.

There already is class warfare in America. Unfortunately, the rich are winning. Obama-Biden-Big Bird 2012

by Puddytat on Fri Oct 12, 2012 at 04:57:09 PM PDT

•  And we thank you for it n/t (17+ / 0-)

Fake candidates nominated by the GOP for the recalls: 6 out of 7. Fake signatures on the recall petitions: 4 out of 1,860,283.

by GeoffT on Fri Oct 12, 2012 at 05:26:10 PM PDT

•  Apparently, it's a Dell Batphone (4+ / 0-)
          3goldens, Woody, Puddytat, Creosote

says I who types this comment on an old Dell laptop that I rescued from the trash a few years ago.

It's working just fine. The battery pack went past it's planned failure date, but that's no big deal.

Seriously, your list of problems and the attempted repairs seem to indicate that whoever is providing support for the thing is not, shall we say, competent. It's not so much a problem with Dell itself, it's the low paid self-proclaimed experts who aren't.

Has the thing settled down yet?

"Never wrestle with a pig: you get dirty and the pig enjoys it"

by GrumpyOldGeek on Fri Oct 12, 2012 at 06:02:18 PM PDT

•  It's working, but to do it they had (2+ / 0-)
            RJDixon74135, GrumpyOldGeek

to strip it of almost all the important software like the 1 year of System Mechanic that came with it and the 4 years of McAffee antivirus that was also included.  They have me using some free stuff instead - some free program called CCleaner and Microsoft Security Essentials.  They also stripped out most of Dell State programs.

I'm not so sure about the stuff they downloaded and installed and if they'll protect me from the threats of the internet, but it has been fairly reliable since.  It's just not the computer I saved for 2 years to be able to buy to repace my 7 year old Tower of Misery.

by Puddytat on Fri Oct 12, 2012 at 09:10:47 PM PDT

•  My husband got a virus on his Dell a few months (3+ / 0-)
              Puddytat, Creosote, JVolvo

ago. It was a two week nightmare working with Dell to clean it up after he threw up his hands and turned the whole mess over to me. First, I had to agree to buy a "3 incident service plan" even though his computer was still under warantee. Dell's warantee doesn't cover any problems with Windows including viruses. By the second day, I'd already googled the problem and located the best FREE program to fix it, the same one Dell ultimately used. BUT, what took up the most time was trying to get the computer to work with System Mechanic which they put the hard sell on me to buy AND McAfee which came on the machine from the factory. They finally gave up on it and convinced me I needed to buy from them a new version of McAffee I later saw for half the price at Target.

Bottom line: Dell is NOT the service-oriented company it used to be.  I don't see how it's worth te extra $ it costs to buy their products.

Eliminate tax breaks that stimulate the offshoring of jobs.

by RJDixon74135 on Fri Oct 12, 2012 at 09:29:56 PM PDT

•  I don't run any paranoia software anywhere (1+ / 0-)
              Puddytat

But I know how this stuff works, inside and out.

And I have a bad attitude for those who gin up fear in their customers in order to extort money from them.

The only thing I use is a simple firewall/router that implements Network Address Translation (NAT) and blocks a few port numbers that I only use inside my own little network. Odds are good, if you have a cable, DSL, or wireless connection to the Internet, you already have this stuff. You can safely shut off everything else. More than one pair of suspenders is a waste.

I have about a dozen computers in-house, all connected to the Internet. I've never gotten a so-called virus, experienced a crash of any kind, and have never lost any information on any computer. I still have everything that's still useful that was on my original IBM PC from 1981.

My in-laws, in their mid-80's, don't know a computer from a toaster. They have an old Dell I salvaged from the trash bin. I installed only the base Windows and a few necessaries. And AOL. Yes, AOL

The only instruction I made sure they understood was to never, ever, double-click on any email attachment that anyone sends to them. Even from me.

No firewall, no router, no anti-virus stuff.

They've never had a problem.

My Bil, OTOH, is hopeless. He knows everything. He believes everything that hints of scary. He has layers of paranoia-ware. His laptop take about an hour to start up. Really.

I'm glad you've gotten past the worst of it.

"Never wrestle with a pig: you get dirty and the pig enjoys it"

by GrumpyOldGeek on Sat Oct 13, 2012 at 07:53:49 AM PDT

•  Thanks for the reassurance (0+ / 0-)

I got a virus a couple of times - the last one - really nasty - came from going to Facebook, which is why I don't go there anymore and don't have an account.

I worry because I'm all over the internet looking at stuff as you can see from my diaries.  I stay with Earthlink as my ISP because they allow me to set my email inbox to only those in my address book.  Everything else goes in a separate folder which I check daily and very carefully before opening anything.

I did want something to prevent malware and spyware because I've had that, too, and it slowed my puters to a crawl.  And somethng to clean out my puter - all those temp files and stuff that even deleting browsing history doesn't eliminate.

I love the word you used - paranoia-ware - and, for the most part, it's true.  But it's not really paranoia if the bad guys really are after us.

Thanks again.

by Puddytat on Sat Oct 13, 2012 at 10:32:47 AM PDT

•  Didn't Batman have a Bat Computer.... (4+ / 0-)
          3goldens, sethtriggs, Woody, Puddytat

a big old water cooled thing that used punchcards???

The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy;the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness

by CTMET on Fri Oct 12, 2012 at 06:12:17 PM PDT