View Diary: Pillow Talk With The GOP (31 comments)

•  And there is little they can do (5+ / 0-)

to stop it.

So, what are they so worried about?

Might it be that minorities are not well treated, and they damn well know it?

I hope that the quality of debate will improve,
    but I fear we will remain Democrats.

by twigg on Fri Oct 12, 2012 at 07:04:20 PM PDT

•  I think it's the (6+ / 0-)

scary idea of The Other, The Colored People, the whatever who are not the same as, different, other than.

Remember, those are mostly the people who think that only the US of A matters in the world and that the rest of the planet is our doormat. I find that mindset tends to go with people who have never traveled to other countries.

Not even "overseas," as Ryan would put it, to Canada.

"There are no Americans at the airport!" -- Baghdad Bob
      "I’ve got a very effective campaign." -- Mitt Romney

by Mnemosyne on Fri Oct 12, 2012 at 09:43:45 PM PDT

•  Or worse: traveled (8+ / 0-)

even a tiny bit outside their comfort zone.

I am reminded of someone who said, when we were both high school students, that she'd never been anywhere (I think I remember she'd been to Virginia once) and never wanted to go anywhere b/c this place (south-central PA) is the greatest place to live.

Mumbledy years later, she has perhaps changed her mind -- or had it changed for her by circumstance -- but her comment does seem like a parochial white sort of attitude.  "Where I Am is The Best Place On Earth To Be."

Ran into that attitude again, many years later, when some high school kids from small-town Flyoverville were in NYC for a competition & happened to be staying at the same hotel where the SFWA was having its annual awards banquet/conference.

One writer asked a girl how she liked NYC.  (They had just gotten off the bus from the airport and were checking into the hotel.)

She said she hated it.  And all she'd seen of NYC was the ride from the airport to Midtown!

So, you're right, Mnemosyne, but I think some of them are even too parochial to accept travel within the U.S.

Heaven forfend they go to Montreal!  Or -- gasp -- Paris!

To make the argument that the media has a left- or right-wing, or a liberal or a conservative bias, is like asking if the problem with Al-Qaeda is do they use too much oil in their hummus. Al Franken

by Youffraita on Fri Oct 12, 2012 at 11:27:55 PM PDT

•  Sitting on the Left Bank (5+ / 0-)

in the Jardin de Luxembourg, with a bottle of wine, some cheese and bread you just bought at a local store is one of the finest pleasures this life can offer :)

I hope that the quality of debate will improve,
          but I fear we will remain Democrats.

by twigg on Fri Oct 12, 2012 at 11:33:16 PM PDT

•  Agreed. (4+ / 0-)
            twigg, Dirtandiron, Mnemosyne, annan

Although beyond the museums & the cafes, I think my favorite bit of Paris was visiting the catacombs.  Delightfully creepy.

The Dordogne is extraordinary, btw.  Pate de fois gras and Lascaux Cavern.  Fields of sunflowers.  Canoeing down the Vezere river:  It's where Parisians go on holiday, although I imagine there are lots more English-speakers visiting now than when I was there.

by Youffraita on Fri Oct 12, 2012 at 11:42:45 PM PDT

•  My parents live in the Dordogne (3+ / 0-)
              Youffraita, Dirtandiron, Mnemosyne

It is indeed a very popular area.

I hope that the quality of debate will improve,
              but I fear we will remain Democrats.

by twigg on Fri Oct 12, 2012 at 11:47:31 PM PDT

•  Oh, lucky you! (4+ / 0-)

I hope you get to go visit them often -- that trip was one of the best I've ever had.

We were going to spend two weeks in Paris...but I'd already been to Paris once & wanted to see a bit more of the country, so we did a four-day tour of part of the Dordogne.

Wow -- lucky you.  (And lucky parents: I never wanted to leave there.)

by Youffraita on Fri Oct 12, 2012 at 11:56:14 PM PDT

•  I've known people in their fifties who never left (6+ / 0-)

the county they were born in, and they all claimed there was nothing to see in the rest of the world.

I guess parochialism is its own reward, in that it prevents one from having to deal with anything different. I just can't fathom it.

•  NYC (3+ / 0-)
          twigg, Mnemosyne, peregrine kate

I live in New Jersey. Most people get off of a plane at Newark Airport, they drive for about 20 minutes to go to New York City, and they are so certain the whole state is like that 25 or so minute ride.

Where are all the jobs, Boehner?

by Dirtandiron on Sat Oct 13, 2012 at 06:03:18 AM PDT

•  yes (4+ / 0-)
      Dirtandiron, twigg, OldDragon, Mnemosyne

I would agree the people most afraid of being the minority are afraid of being treated like less than a person. They fear their own behavior and attitude being turned upon them. More than anything else it seems an indictment of their own bad attitudes. It never occurs to them that the people who have been oppressed just might not want to continue in that unenlightened manner.

you get what you give

by chicagobleu on Sat Oct 13, 2012 at 05:23:14 AM PDT

•  Perhaps. But it's human nature to be uncomfor- (0+ / 0-)

table when surrounded by those not like us, especially if there's a language difference.

I do hope you (general) will report to us how WONDERFUL you find it when no one around you speaks English (or, worse, does, but pretends not to). If you walk into a shop/bodega and get ignored because you're the wrong color or speak the wrong language, go ahead and REJOICE! in the DIVERSITY...but be honest enough to admit that it's irritating enough when in Wally World or some such and you just can't get the clerk to understand what you're asking. Multiply that a zillionfold and we're talking serious irritation. It bugs me no end when native speakers of English stare at me with tarponlike expressions when I dare to use polysyllabic words.

As for ill treatment of minorities, again, I'm not denying it...but do YOU want to live next door to a house with 9 people in it, 4 of them babies? If some family from another culture wants to be accepted, they should think long and hard about a) leaning English, b) obeying our laws, and c) foregoing unsanitary or obnoxious practices. I'm a programmer and must have a good night's sleep, or I can't do my job. So I don't want neighbors (of any culture or color) who whoop it up all night, leave garbage all over the lawn, etc.

•  You are talking about (1+ / 0-)
        OldDragon

bad neighbors, and that has nothing to do with race or color.

I hope that the quality of debate will improve,
        but I fear we will remain Democrats.

by twigg on Sat Oct 13, 2012 at 09:27:40 AM PDT

•  Are you honestly denying the cultural angle? (0+ / 0-)

I've had to deal with people who found nothing wrong in shouting to each other across the apartment complex at any hour of the night. Wherever they were from, it was obviously OK to do so. I'd like to hear from folks who live next door to a santero how chicken guts all over the lawn is a good thing.