View Diary: Bill Maher rips Focus on the Family for being so, so wrong all the time (82 comments)

•  Or prophets in the bible (11+ / 0-)

Who were often poor, ragged and seemingly crazy, and thus marginalized and ignored when they dared speak out against corruption and injustice.

The most famous of which, of course, was Jesus (technically not a prophet but in the same tradition of being a poor and simple man on the outskirts of "proper" society speaking inconvenient truth to power).

So naturally, after he was killed for being so inconvenient, he was made a god and, for some at least, turned into a symbol behind whom oppressors could hide.

Oh, the irony is so thick you could make a religion out of it!

"Liberty without virtue would be no blessing to us" - Benjamin Rush, 1777

by kovie on Sat Oct 13, 2012 at 08:34:04 AM PDT

•  Your comment reminds me of (13+ / 0-)

Joseph Smith, who wasn't a Prophet, but a Con Man. He looked in to a hat, spoke garbage, said God talked to him and then formed a Religion.
      Then when his wife caught him having a pedophilic relationship with a 14 yo, he said he had a Revelation from God and Polygamy was formed.
      Now there are 14 billion people that think THAT guy WAS a Prophet.
      There is the other irony.

If the Fetus you Saved was GAY, would you still fight for it's RIGHT'S?

by snoopydawg on Sat Oct 13, 2012 at 10:01:37 AM PDT

•  I apply a very simple test to separate (7+ / 0-)

the cranks, crazies and crooks from genuine social critics. Are their contentions backed up by provable facts and the known laws of physics? If not, then they're probably the former, and if so, then they're probably the latter.

Note that this leads me to reject 100% of all paranormal phenomena, be they miracles, angels, divine action or intervention, or divinity itself, ALL of which I consider to be complete and utter bullshit be it intentional or not.

I find it infinitely easier to be an agnostic than a person of faith. I don't need a god to know what's right and wrong, both physically and morally. The concept of god just mucks everything up because it allows people to make counterfactual and contradictory statements, like it's ok to kill gay people merely for being gay.

"Liberty without virtue would be no blessing to us" - Benjamin Rush, 1777

by kovie on Sat Oct 13, 2012 at 10:14:36 AM PDT

•  Easier for me as well. (6+ / 0-)

What makes my life hard is trying to find friends and boyfriends that I can actually have a meaningful relationship with. I'm not marrying a misogynist or a believer and when you're poor, that's all you're surrounded by.

It's hard out here for a feminist, atheist, sapiosexual college dropout. My religion is looking for a job that pays a double-digit wage so I don't have to marry somebody that shrinks my "boner". lol

The intersection of religion and misogyny is a busy one. Not every religious person is a misogynist but most misogynists are religious people. I don't have time for the shit. Keeping the wages of women lower is how they "stone" women that won't be ruled by men. It's either that or marry somebody that abuses me because he's ignorant. I'd rather live with my brother and be single.

"It's not enough to acknowledge privilege. You have to resist." -soothsayer

by GenXangster on Sat Oct 13, 2012 at 12:17:33 PM PDT

•  Love your reply (2+ / 0-)
            Hatrax, KathleenM1

especially this part: Not every religious person is a misogynist but most misogynists are religious people
            I too am leaning more toward agnostic or out right atheist. I just can't imagine a Being that is supposed to be so kind and loving, well after he repented or something between the Old and New Testament, just sitting back and watching His kids rape and murder women and children. Or wage war for over 2000 years without stepping in and saying something.
            Like Judas asked in Jesus Christ Superstar, 'why did you pick such a backward time and place when today you could reach the whole Nation?
            I read the Pillars of the Earth and watch the miniseries. All through history, Religions have been the cruelest, nastiest piece of work in the name of God.
            Even today, so many anti abortion people have no problem with unending wars, or dropping bombs on innocent civilians.
            Pro life until birth, I guess.

If the Fetus you Saved was GAY, would you still fight for it's RIGHT'S?

by snoopydawg on Sat Oct 13, 2012 at 02:53:39 PM PDT

•  14 billion people? (2+ / 0-)
        snoopydawg, Angie in WA State

The thought of it gives me an eyegraine.

•  Yes and during their recent (2+ / 0-)

convention,they lowered the age of Missionaries. Too many kids had to wait til they were of age to go on their missions and woke up and realized it was BS.
          So now they can go younger.
          The most amazing thing about Missions, is the kids are away from home for 2 years. Can have little contact with their families and are bringing in converts, (money) in to the Church, yet the families have to foot the whole bill.
          great gig for the Church. Pretty dumb for the families.
          Just my opinion. But since I was raised in UT, I have been surrounded with them and have a very strong dislike.
          Especially the militant Missionaries that say I will not be saved unless I convert.
          I am usually polite, but one kid kept pushing me.
          I finally told him his Religion is a pos, Joseph Smith was a con man and that he was stupid to believe in it.
          the kid that was with him looked like he wanted to crawl in a hole.

If the Fetus you Saved was GAY, would you still fight for it's RIGHT'S?

by snoopydawg on Sat Oct 13, 2012 at 02:58:45 PM PDT

•  14 billion? Your number seems to be off- (2+ / 0-)
        Angie in WA State, snoopydawg

There are only about 7 billion people in the world.

"I'm not scared of anyone or anything, Angie. Isn't that the way life should be?" Jack Hawksmoor

by skyounkin on Sat Oct 13, 2012 at 03:44:02 PM PDT

•  Hmm, you are right. (1+ / 0-)
          skyounkin

I guess it must be 14 million then. Good catch. But still, lots of people converting to what I consider a cult.
          Like I wrote previously, watching or reading a lot of historical fiction, the cruelest acts were done to people in the name of God.
          As the commenter above wrote, a lot of it is misogyny. Or saving people in he name of God.
          Look at what Columbus did to the Natives.
          Or the slave owners that would rape their slaves before going to Church.
          And these are just the Christian Religions.
          Look at what the Jewish people are doing to the Islamic folks.
          Or the Islamic doing to their own people.
          Yep, really leaning toward Atheist.

If the Fetus you Saved was GAY, would you still fight for it's RIGHT'S?

by snoopydawg on Sat Oct 13, 2012 at 11:43:19 PM PDT

•  Oh, please.. (5+ / 0-)

...the minute you heard the word 'prophet', your brain should automatically replace it with 'deluded charlatan' because that's exactly the right  description for anyone who claims to have a crystal ball into the future because a fairy in the sky told hem so.

•  Well (1+ / 0-)
        Killer of Sacred Cows

One has to distinguish between the biblical version of these people which gave them the power of seeing into the future and talking to god, and the actual people that many of them were likely based on (including Jesus), who most likely were social critics a la Socrates, Spinoza or Paine, whom the people who wrote the bible imbued with these paranormal powers for purely PR reasons.

The people who wrote the bible and promoted the religions based on them used the actual historical Moses, Jeremiah and Jesus et al to promote their religions to a mostly ignorant and superstitious public, by turning them into the voices of god, if not god itself. It's not at all unlike what the right has done to the founders.

See a pattern there?

"Liberty without virtue would be no blessing to us" - Benjamin Rush, 1777

by kovie on Sat Oct 13, 2012 at 10:29:08 AM PDT

•  The common theme... (5+ / 0-)

... of the "discussions with god" that set up all these religions are that this supreme being is invisible and speaks from burning bushes that don't burn, or during delusions while wandering in the desert and either starving from lack of food or extremely dehydrated from lack of water (or both).

The thing is, if a supreme being exists, why doesn't he/she/it appear to EVERYONE while they are conscious and in charge of their mental faculties..., and not delusional from cold at high altitudes on a mountain and/or wandering the hot desert in a state of extreme hunger and/or thirst...?

If this supreme being does exist, I will believe so when it appears to me without asking for money and I can sit down at a table and have a discussion over dinner; I have a few questions about why it allows evil people and things to flourish and harm innocents if evil can be eliminated.  Epicurus said it better:

“Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?
          Then he is not omnipotent.
          Is he able, but not willing?
          Then he is malevolent.
          Is he both able and willing?
          Then whence cometh evil?
          Is he neither able nor willing?
          Then why call him God?”

Epicurus, Greek philosopher, 341-270 BCE

by NonnyO on Sat Oct 13, 2012 at 02:15:13 PM PDT

•  I was with a friend of mine at a comic book con (2+ / 0-)
            kovie, NonnyO

at a bar after the show (we were selling books) and someone from the local church walked up to us.  This church had been holding protests outside the hall and handed out leaflets to the con-goers, basically telling them they were damned for reading this filth, etc. etc. etc.

The church guy began telling us all about the wonders of being saved, how God could do anything, save sinners and heal the sick.

My buddy went along with him, asking if God could really heal anything.

Yes, yes!  He knew of people who had been cured of cancer, epilepsy, etc.

Oh, said my friend.  What about this?  And he held up his hand, missing one finger that he'd taken off with a radial saw many years back.  Can God grow this back for me if I join your church?

The guy left without another word.