Skip to main content

View Diary: Rolling Stone Magazine Exposes how Mitt Romney Dodged his Taxes (252 comments)

Comment Preferences

  •  I've been trying to look this up... (3+ / 0-)
    Recommended by:
    PinHole, VClib, elwior

    ...without going to the IRS because I'm looking for a plain language answer. On sources that I wouldn't consider conclusive I have determined that the three or four year window is for an amended return that will get you a refund. I can't find any deadline for amending a return in which you owe money...although I'm fairly certain there would be penalties.

    •  Maria - you can alway refile and send the IRS (0+ / 0-)

      money and most of the time you do have to pay penalties. There is no limit on how far back you can go. If you have done things that are criminal tax evasion you hire really good tax lawyers who work out a civil settlement. It costs more but you don't go to jail. The IRS doesn't want to send anyone to prison, they want the cash.

      "let's talk about that"

      by VClib on Sat Oct 13, 2012 at 12:46:49 PM PDT

      [ Parent ]

Subscribe or Donate to support Daily Kos.

Click here for the mobile view of the site