View Diary: My book is No. 1 on B&N's Nook bestseller list (267 comments)

•  If we sell the audio rights. :) (14+ / 0-)

Some Indie authors are selling audio rights. And Kindle will read to you, although it's a robotic voice, I think.
    You can also make the print huge on Kindles and other devices like that.

Confession time: When I'm not ranting about politics, I write romance novels

by teresahill on Sat Oct 13, 2012 at 04:54:25 PM PDT

•  Have you looked into ACX for recording? (8+ / 0-)

ACX.com is a matching service between authors and producers/narrators. It is backed by Audible and endorsed by Neil Gaiman, and is probably one of the most cost-effective ways for an author to get their book read by a professional narrator and distributed.

I know more about it from the voice acting side since that's what I do and teach, but it's something that you might want to look into it, especially now that you have gathered a sizable following.

And congratulations on your success! I am sure that it's due to much more than just a fortuitously-timed promotion.

•  How wonderful you must feel right now. (3+ / 0-)
      4Freedom, PinHole, MartyM

Congratulations and may your string of good stuff continue for years to come.

p.s. thanks for the Kindle info.  I've been thinking of getting one as my eyes are failing and larger print would be helpful.  I've resisted this long because I can't imagine cuddling in bed with technology.

Proud Big Bird Democrat

by Lying eyes on Sat Oct 13, 2012 at 06:47:58 PM PDT

•  I resisted for a long time, because I love books. (9+ / 0-)

I love the feel and the smell and just everything about them.

But the Kindle is fabulous. So fabulous I haven't bought a printed book since I got the Kindle.

The bigger print. The great screen for reading. Having all those books inside such a tiny device, and your books are always with you. Great prices on the books. Being able to get a book the minute it's released without looking all over town for it.

Everyone I know who's gone to an e-readers has loved it.

Confession time: When I'm not ranting about politics, I write romance novels

by teresahill on Sat Oct 13, 2012 at 06:59:27 PM PDT

•  Sold. You had me at bigger print. n/t (1+ / 0-)
          Alexandra Lynch

Proud Big Bird Democrat

by Lying eyes on Sat Oct 13, 2012 at 10:04:50 PM PDT

•  You can also adjust the brightness. (2+ / 0-)
            MartyM, AreDeutz

We got a cover for ours and take it multiple places.

I lie on my side, prop it up on a pillow and just zip along.  When you do increase the type size, it seems as if you can read faster, because the grouping of the sentences, helps you to take things in faster.  (Probably not explaining this well.)

There are also classics that you can load for free.  And even libraries have some to load.

We have the basic older Kindle - I think it is about $100. now that new ones have come out. The Nook was just coming out when we bought the Kindle, and we weren't sure all the bugs were out yet.

We got a portable light, which slips into the cover, and arches over the text, and I can read without disturbing the sometimes light sleeping spouse.

Do you know how many books were read by poor flashlight beams as a child?   This is MUCH better!

Go for it!

(We still buy regular books too.  But some like the Mark Twain autobio which was recently released are like 600 pages.  The Kindle edition is a whole lot lighter and doesn't add to the load on the basement beams of the house.  ;-)  )

•  I am so sad to see so many bookstores go out of (1+ / 0-)
          UFOH1

business.   I love just browsing through a store.  I could spend hours in  a bookstore.  I can't imagine having a Kindle.  To me, it would take so much away from the joy of shopping and cherishing my bookcase full of books.

Actually, I have books stored away.  I get a great deal of  happiness  re-introducing myself to some great books when I pull out a box and find treasures I had forgotten about.

I guess you could say I am a book hoarder.  That is what my kids tell me!   LOL

•  I agree, but they both have their (0+ / 0-)

places.  Also one's needs change.  An example of which is changing eye sight, weight of books, etc.

What I really miss is browsing card catalogs in the library.  I find the computerized cataloging very limited.  It's getting impossible to get into the stacks of larger academic libraries and public libraries.

I'm a bit of a book hoarder too.  Some are very dear friends.

•  Me, too. To all of that. But the superstores (2+ / 0-)
            Damnit Janet, ellefarr

really did in most bookstores, and then the distribution system and publishing practices cut down so much on the number of titles that got any real space to sell in bookstores.

Most books, if they made it to stores, got about 6 weeks on display before they were pulled. That's all the time you had to sell before you were pulled off to make room for new books.

And now we're hearing about books available for order through bookstores, but not on the shelves. So you have to know the book is coming out and go ask the store to order it for you. New authors don't have a prayer of selling that way.

So much as I've always loved bookstores, they're a model that just isn't serving most authors and a lot of readers well anymore.

Confession time: When I'm not ranting about politics, I write romance novels

by teresahill on Sun Oct 14, 2012 at 07:42:47 AM PDT

•  Have Crashing Vor contracted to read it for the (1+ / 0-)
      DianeNYS

audiobook.

Have you heard his voice on the web-ads he creates and posts here at DailyKos?

"Taxes are what we pay for civilized society.''
      -- SCOTUS Justice O.W. Holmes Jr
      "I like paying taxes...with them, I buy Civilization"
      -- Angie in WA State