View Diary: Stephen Colbert destroys Romney's tax plan with one simple question (235 comments)

•  A lady from Atlanta is talking at a party (7+ / 0-)

with a lady from Charlotte. The lady from Atlanta asks the other, "Honey, where are you from?" Says the Charlotte Belle, "Bless your heart, I come from a place where we never conclude a sentence with a preposition." Says the Atlantan, "Okay, where y'all from, bitch?"

"Is that all there is?" Peggy Lee.

by jm214 on Mon Oct 15, 2012 at 01:55:53 PM PDT

•  That would be funny, except - (4+ / 0-)

no actual Southerner would ever address one person as "y'all." It is strictly used as a plural.

Oh, and North Carolina prides itself on being "a vale of humility between two mountains of conceit."

(Though as a Tennessean, I'll just opine that,, "they ain't that 'umble." This thread has been most egregiously high-jacked. ;)  )

The working poor haven’t abdicated responsibility for their lives. They’re drowning in it. -Ezra Klein

by bubbajim on Mon Oct 15, 2012 at 03:26:58 PM PDT

•  I thought (5+ / 0-)

y'all was the singular, and all y'all was the plural.

At least that's what my Texas friends tell me :)

"Maybe: it's a vicious little word that could slay me"--Sara Bareilles

by ChurchofBruce on Mon Oct 15, 2012 at 03:38:46 PM PDT

•  "Y'all" is an excellent solution to the problem of (2+ / 0-)
        Wisco Wherls, ozarkspark

.... differentiating between second-person singular and plural.  Conventional English doesn't have a way to do that without resorting to formations that are just downright awkward.

I use it all the time for "second-person plural."  I'm a Northerner by birth but some of my family are Southerners.

"Minus two votes for the Republican" equals "plus one vote for the Democrat." Arithmetic doesn't care about their feelings either!

by G2geek on Mon Oct 15, 2012 at 10:12:38 PM PDT

•  We were *required* to in every Latin class (0+ / 0-)

I ever took. High school and college.

We also had to translate using bad English grammar by my third year of high school Latin, to show we understood the Latin grammar. Real fun when not using a construction in one class is the same points off as using it in the English class you have next period.

Prayers and best wishes to those in Japan.

by Cassandra Waites on Tue Oct 16, 2012 at 07:22:55 AM PDT

•  I thought the plural was (0+ / 0-)

"all y'all" and "y'all" is the singular.

"Activism begins with you, Democracy begins with you, get out there, get active! Tag, you're it!" Thom Hartmann

by glogrrl on Tue Oct 16, 2012 at 12:36:59 AM PDT

•  almost. (0+ / 0-)

All y'all implies multiple groups or emphasizes a statement that applies to all members of a group, without exception.

"Screw you," you say. Third party, "that's my buddy, jack." "Well screw y'all."

More people stand up and glare. "Well then, screw all y'all."

by bubbajim on Tue Oct 16, 2012 at 05:53:52 PM PDT

•  A preposition (4+ / 0-)
      blueoasis, JerryNA, lonespark, glogrrl

is a lousy word to end a sentence with.

It is the kind of nonsense up with which I will not put.

...and who, disguised as rambler american, mild mannered commenter for a great Democratic web blog, fights a never-ending battle for truth, justice and the American way.

by rambler american on Mon Oct 15, 2012 at 03:59:04 PM PDT