View Diary: Lose Weight by Eating MORE?? (133 comments)

•  There really is no data supporting the idea that (4+ / 0-)
    bluedust, Knockbally, quill, my2petpeeves

the decrease in metabolic rate when energy intake is reduced is a true compensation ("preservation mode") as opposed to a passive effect of simply having to process less metabolically.   Also, John Speakman and others have shown quite convincingly that reduced energy expenditure plays only a very minor role in weight gain.  Furthermore, unless you are really counting calories, it is likely that any increase in expenditures due to exercise is offset by an increase in intake.  Exercise is good for cardiovascular and, probably, mental health, but not so much for weight loss.

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

by accumbens on Tue Oct 16, 2012 at 08:11:42 AM PDT

•  say what? (8+ / 0-)
      calories burned are calories burned.  exercise absolutely helps weight loss.
      six of one, half a dozen of the other, but it doesn't change the underlying phenomenon of reduced metabolic vigor.
      we're not talking about weight gain; we're discussing weight loss.

Die with your boots on. If you're gonna try, well stick around. Gonna cry? Just move along. The truth of all predictions is always in your hands. - Iron Maiden

by Cedwyn on Tue Oct 16, 2012 at 08:16:13 AM PDT

•  Well .... (1+ / 0-)
        my2petpeeves
        exercise absolutely helps weight loss.
        Only if energy intake is held constant.
        it doesn't matter unless you actually want to know what is actually going on.  I have no idea what you mean by "metabolic vigor."
        we're not talking about weight gain; we're discussing weight loss.
        If decreased expenditures don't cause weight gain, you might expect that increased expenditures wouldn't materially affect weight loss (unless intake is controlled).

by accumbens on Tue Oct 16, 2012 at 09:09:35 AM PDT

•  we were discussing reduced metabolism (0+ / 0-)

there were two competing theories as to why it happens.  why it happens doesn't change the fact that it happens.

exercise is one way to keep it from happening, because the whole point of exercise is to burn up stores of fat for energy, i.e., keeping the metabolism active even in the absence of eating.

by Cedwyn on Wed Oct 17, 2012 at 08:08:49 AM PDT

•  Exercise builds muscle, muscle is heavier than fat (3+ / 0-)

is the general issue.  Exercise isn't bad - it's better to have more muscle than most folks have these days, despite the fact that it makes you weigh more.  People just generally talk about losing weight, when in reality, the path to health is about losing fat, down to a healthy fat to everything else ratio.

I'm not actually doing any exercises during my weight loss program, because I hit the same thing - exercising doesn't help me lose 'weight', because I'll end up just eating more to offset because of hunger or feeling weak.

Really, it's 'whatever works for you', but what works for me is low carb, high protein, and no particular extra exercise until I reach my %fat goal.  Then I'll start increasing exercise and eating at the same time.

•  one thing left out (3+ / 0-)
          Timaeus, Cedwyn, Dr Erich Bloodaxe RN

having those heavier muscles you built while working out burns more energy than not having them - every minute of every day, not just when you're exercising.

And further, getting fat depends on the muscles becoming insulin resistant, essentially refusing to take glucose from the insulin that delivers it to muscle cells. Exercise hard enough, often enough and you reverse that. That is the key to reversing type 2 diabetes - along with avoiding starchy carbs and sugar.

•  I've heard this (7+ / 0-)

yet for me, exercise has been crucial in my weight loss successes (I've lost and gained weight many times in my life, sigh).  It may only have been psychological (I feel better and thus eat less), but it works.

I started jogging with a friend sophomore year in college. Before I knew it, my clothes were getting loose, and people were commenting on my weight loss.  I thought I had to be on a diet to lose weight, so I literally had not noticed I'd dropped, like, 20 pounds.

Perhaps it's different for different people?  I don't know, but I consider exercise paramount for weight loss.

A comic yet realistic dignity is an extraordinary defense against life's cruel setbacks - David Rakoff

by Knockbally on Tue Oct 16, 2012 at 08:21:51 AM PDT

•  I'll say this (8+ / 0-)

In support of your comment.  Is that I lost 1/2 the weight I should by getting more active, but I really had to change my diet and eating habits.

It has been my experience that eating differently has been more effective than excercise.

Nevertheless, I've been excercising too, so I will continue to believe it's a necessary component.

I can say this too, ever since I started walking at least 10,000 steps per day, my feet, my ankles, my knees all feel great!  I feel like being on my feet now.  Getting a lot more done these days!

Republicans: Taking the country back ... to the 19th century

by yet another liberal on Tue Oct 16, 2012 at 08:23:34 AM PDT

•  You know, I think I had changed my diet (1+ / 0-)
        Timaeus

and not realized it.  The exercise made me less likely to overeat.

Some good friends, despite their impressive exercise regimes, are not losing weight because they've continued to eat too much.  They know it, too, but I guess cutting back on food is much harder for them.

Oy, I've got to get back to exercising!  I always feel so much better when I do.  I used to go to yoga classes regularly, and spinning, and felt [sing-song] FAB-u-lous!

by Knockbally on Tue Oct 16, 2012 at 08:31:50 AM PDT