View Diary: Tagg Romney says seeing his dad under attack during debate made him want to take a swing at Obama (325 comments)

•  I can't believe a front pager is going wiht this c (10+ / 0-)

rap.

What he actually said:

"Rush down to the debate stage and take a swing at him. But you know you can't do that because, first because there's a lot of secret service agents between you and him but also because this is the nature of the process, you know there gonna do all they can do to make my dad into someone he's not, we signed up for it, we gotta sit there and take our punches, and send them back the other way."
    He was asked to describe what it feels like to attend the debate. He described the emotion. He then explained why one of course would not do that.

Jed - for fuck's sake, man. I understand people are eager to jump on anything - but this is fucking dumb.

P.S. I love you.

•  Yes but...it's a question of character and decorum (24+ / 0-)

This kind of talk is not acceptable. Qualifying his remarks after the first sentence doesn't negate the fact that that kind of message should not have been spoken. At. All. It's rude, impolitic, and downright uncivil. What have we come to in this country when someone can use that kind of language against the President of the United States?

But the GOP will, of course, eat it up and buy him a round because civility is for wusses...and Democrats.

Warning: That light at the end of the tunnel just might be an oncoming train.

by history first on Wed Oct 17, 2012 at 06:23:49 PM PDT

•  ??? (4+ / 0-)

I feel a lot more protective of speech than I do the position of the presidency. I agree it was a violation of decorum - but - I just don't care that much. This is not the same, by any stretch, as what is being done with bullseyes, with talking about or implying shooting - it's just not.

•  So... with Tagg's free association there (5+ / 0-)

the first thing that pops into his mind... is to manhandle the President?

Because forcible haircuts are the norm in the Romney household?

And you see nothing wrong with that thought process? That exalts violence toward Obama?

And if Romney becomes president, he'll really give the US a razor burn shave and crewcut... for a lot more than two bits.

"America is faced with a very clear choice.
          Does it want a PRESIDENT or a BOSS?"
          ~~James Lipton

by bronte17 on Wed Oct 17, 2012 at 07:04:38 PM PDT

•  I wanted to kick George Bush in the face a 1,000 (2+ / 0-)

times. A whole bunch of us here did. Some even said it.

What exactly are you defending here? The right to make a big deal about something Tagg Romney said in a radio interview with someone most people never heard of? Really?

•  Most of us want shrub punished *legally* (4+ / 0-)

It was one of the main driving forces here... to hold the Bush administration accountable for its actions. For something... anything. And, it was all taken off the table. That was a bitter pill to swallow.

And you know the site rules are against violence. If anyone here promoted violence against Bush, they were troll rated for it most likely.

If the site doesn't encourage violence, why is okay to encourage the hypocritical Republicans to pursue this behavior and write it off as acceptable? And belittle a front pager for reporting the fantasies of violence against our President?

"America is faced with a very clear choice.
              Does it want a PRESIDENT or a BOSS?"
              ~~James Lipton

by bronte17 on Wed Oct 17, 2012 at 07:27:40 PM PDT

•  Oh, right, cuz this is the HOMELAND of decorum (6+ / 0-)

Huge eyeroll.

•  Actually, yes. Look how many Liberals defend (1+ / 0-)
          starduster

Tagg's free speech right on this thread and in this forum. That's a big difference between us an Red State. I've occasionally infiltrated their forums and it's about 95% hate speech and 5% conspiracy theories. And please don't give me that line about how we "have to be better than them." We are better in many ways, but we don't owe them $hit. In fact, if anything, we need to learn to be a little meaner, or we'll end up having the same thing happen to us that happened to the President in the first debate. He had to fight fire with fire in the second debate, and so do we. It is not a lack of decorum on our part to point out a lack on their part.

Just doing my part to piss off right wing nuts, one smart ass comment at a time.

by tekno2600 on Thu Oct 18, 2012 at 07:21:53 AM PDT

•  it shows (1+ / 0-)
        tekno2600

It shows a dreadful lack of maturity in the speaker.  But we should make allowances, after all, Romney's son is only...

41 years old.  He's frickin old enough to realize the impact of his words.  Heck, he's old enough that HE could be the one running for president.  If he'd ever stirred off of his worthless overprivileged ass and done something useful with his life to build a resume, that is.

•  It shows Tagg has never worked a day in his life (1+ / 0-)
          Nina Katarina

that he just spouts off whatever thoughts pops into his gourd.

Many of us have been asked what we think of our bosses and believe me, if we "joked" that we'd like to kick their a$$es, we'd be unemployed. Tagg has never had to worry about that...or anything else in his life.

by tekno2600 on Thu Oct 18, 2012 at 07:28:30 AM PDT

•  Thanks (1+ / 0-)
      nuclear winter solstice

It really shouldn't hurt us to be reality based, eh?  I'm looking for the full context now cause I'm not sure yet how much better the full  context will make the comment appear.

But we've seen diarists overreaching at DK often enough...

(no matter how much we love them and respect their work)

I'm not liberal. I'm actually just anti-evil, OK? - Elon James White

by Satya1 on Wed Oct 17, 2012 at 06:27:41 PM PDT

•  I can't believe... (9+ / 0-)

...that people here will defend a bullying, violent impulse.

•  People who pretend violent impulses - especially (2+ / 0-)

those not acted on at all - are terribly awful inhuman EVIL things make me want to punt kittens.

•  Read this diary's thread and the thread (8+ / 0-)

of the other diary. Give me a dollar for everyone who posts what they'd like to do to Tagg now, or speculates on who could kick Tagg's ass, etc.

I mean, come on. So, Tagg felt like he'd like to punch out Obama, while he was seeing his dad being eviscerated on stage. It's irrelevant if Mitt deserves it - that's his dad he's watching being made a fool of in front of tens of millions of people.

This is get a grip time, people. Most of us, at one time or another, feel like physically punishing someone - we don't though. And just because Tagg verbalized that emotion doesn't mean he'd try it for real, even absent the Secret Service protection.

This whole discussion is much ado about nothing.

Romney's secret plan for a revenue neutral tax cut sounds like McCain's secret plan to end the war in Iraq.

by WisePiper on Wed Oct 17, 2012 at 07:10:30 PM PDT

•  I get equally sickened... (2+ / 0-)
          WisePiper, BB Jam Fan

...reading how violent people posting here feel toward conservatives, I just don't comment on it much because that'd be an overtime fulltime job. Every time I read someone write "fuck [person-x]" on here, I feel physically sick as the use of sex as punishment is violent. I'm frequently rendered scared over how much violence is just below the surface of most humans. We really are not far removed from the days of people cheering over bloody, evil gladitorial combat. And here we have another example of how horrible we as a species are: people are defending a desire to be violent over nothing more than someone saying something said was a lie. Obama didn't jump across the stage and start beating Mitt Romney, he said things Romney said were not true, and that caused Romney's son to want to physically assault Obama. That is a rediculous reaction to have, and that it's a reaction that people here find acceptable is a stark reminder that we are a rediculously violent people. No wonder this country has such a severe problem with bullying in schools, too many adults accept it.

•  We each have our own triggers. (0+ / 0-)

The "Fuck him!" has become so ubiquitous that I don't for a moment connect that with the image of physical sexual assault. On the other hand, I agree that verbal expressions of violent repercussion are represented among both the right and the left. Even after a concerted effort on behalf of many here, we still see some kossacks gleefully speculating, for example, what "Bubba's" gonna do to so-and-so despicable character when he starts serving his prison term.

by WisePiper on Wed Oct 17, 2012 at 07:49:35 PM PDT

•  Noticed that too. Or that they wished that (2+ / 0-)
          WisePiper, Code Monkey

he ried - also a violent wish.

Too much.

•  "for everyone who posts what they'd like to do to (4+ / 0-)

Tagg now..."

Yeah, thanks, I was starting to wonder if I was the only one seeing a certain parallel inconsistency occurring.

•  The whole episode (1+ / 0-)
          lgmcp

around the "please proceed" comment at the debate, Mitt's smirks and his laser-eye-confess-now look, made me want to pinch his face! I wouldn't do it because, well, I'd never get that close and if I did, I'd use my words to tell him what I thought of him. But really, calling someone out for violent fantasies then using violent fantasies against them (really? Sasha and Malia beating up Tagg? Don't they go to a Quaker school? And do you think the Obamas have raised them the same way bullying Mitt raised his sons?) is just stupid.

The more important part, the more satisfying part, is that Mitt was doing so poorly, he inspired that defensive impulse. Of course, he was trying to give as good as he got, but he wasn't able. That's yummy.

Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. Throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. --Mark Twain

by Debby on Thu Oct 18, 2012 at 07:37:47 AM PDT

•  How come the first part is not bold? (4+ / 0-)

I can say anything, negate it in the next sentence, and say "Psyche!  Just kidding!"

"No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and Money." -- JC, Matthew 6:24

by Chi on Wed Oct 17, 2012 at 06:36:34 PM PDT

•  Why is the first part not bold? So fucking weird. (0+ / 0-)

Look, you can make a comment with it bolded if you like. I made my comment, and bolded the parts I wanted to stand out to support my argument.

You are very weird.

•  I'm not sure (3+ / 0-)
      indie17, litoralis, 3goldens

how that makes it much better. Part of the reason he didn't do it because Secret Service would stop him?

•  It's still bad even though he qualified it (5+ / 0-)

you don't ever joke about saying you want to hit the POTUS.

•  Don't be so righteous that you defend opponents (10+ / 0-)

who don't deserve it. "Tagg" is a grown man, just a few years younger than the President, despite the childish sounding nicknames he and dad are fond of using. He is not only capable of saying what he means, but defending himself from the consequences of his own words. It is not your place to provide that defense for him. He chose rather graphic, inflammatory language, and even embellished it with descriptions of the secret service agents holding him back. Then, he tried to back out of it a little at the end, though you notice, he still uses the image of sending punches back toward Obama. So, at the very least, he has to explain himself and apologize. No one should do that for him or suggest that it is improper to use his words against him.

by tekno2600 on Wed Oct 17, 2012 at 07:22:54 PM PDT

•  Okay, the name stuff is starting to tick me off. (1+ / 0-)
        Debby

Trig is one thing - that was naming someone after a high school subject. Weird. Taggart is an established name of a culture, and Tagg is an extremely logical abbreviation of said name. Are we really going to get up on silly names... tekno2600, the latter half of which can only make me think of the Atari 2600?

I say this having -just- changed my usericon to a pikachu last night, btw. I don't have any issue with your name independently, but we're picking on some really weird issues to hammer the Romney Bunch over.

Never attribute to malice what is owed to ignorance; never create enemies out of allies who disagree.

by ConfusedSkyes on Thu Oct 18, 2012 at 06:38:03 AM PDT

•  The 2600 refers to the magazine/group. It was kind (0+ / 0-)

of the Anonymous of its time. It's a bit of a throwback to my h@Xor dayz >;-), but it's just a handle I use. I don't make my nickname my real name.

Regardless of what online handle one uses, I think it is fair to ask, what is it about rich people and childish nicknames? Mitt? That's not his name. It comes from his childhood nickname, "Mittens." He now want to be President Mittens. Remember Scooter Libby. Again, not a real name. Just a childish nickname. Tagg is at least an abbreviation of a real name (although it's part of that whole last-name-as-a-first-name fad that just will not die, especially with the rich and the wannabes), but it is still an example of how rich people show they are a different breed of people, because they are so important they can give goofy names to their kids and we aren't supposed to laugh. Well, I'm laughing...and it's just one of many reasons I'm laughing at the Romney Bunch.

by tekno2600 on Thu Oct 18, 2012 at 07:01:17 AM PDT

•  Actually, he's the namesake of his cousin, (0+ / 0-)

Milton Romney, a football player. Short form, Mitt. Milton Romney was active in the 20s - and there were a lot of other names then that'd seem weird to us.

by ConfusedSkyes on Thu Oct 18, 2012 at 07:06:17 AM PDT

•  Milt would be the short form. I've heard multiple (0+ / 0-)

stories on this, and the Milton one seems to be a new invention because the mittens one sounded more embarrassing. Most of us don't name ourselves after our cousins. That really doesn't pass the smell test.

by tekno2600 on Thu Oct 18, 2012 at 07:33:57 AM PDT

•  Even if so, I still don't really care. (0+ / 0-)

My sister was born as Yungsut, but after I came along, she eventually legally changed her name to Hana - a then unheard-of name that means 'one' in Korean, in reference to me being 'two.'

by ConfusedSkyes on Thu Oct 18, 2012 at 07:44:03 AM PDT

•  No problem. We can have President Skeeter or (0+ / 0-)

Gordo, if Christie runs. Just don't expect me to keep a straight face when President Boner addresses the nation.

by tekno2600 on Thu Oct 18, 2012 at 08:12:02 AM PDT