View Diary: Top Comments: the Dan Gable edition (99 comments)

•  YAY! Good for you. nt (4+ / 0-)

I must end each and every day with a dose of a regularly scheduled Top Comments. A regularly scheduled Top Comments diary is a must for developing the calmness I need to get the required eight hours of sleep. - cohenzee

by cohenzee on Thu Oct 25, 2012 at 07:37:19 PM PDT

•  and judging from twitter (5+ / 0-)

and the use of #fsot, I will have plenty of competition.  But that's good. I have no problem losing out to anyone at this point, as long as I'm sure I've done my best.

I got a t-shirt (-6.88, -6.15)

by guyermo on Thu Oct 25, 2012 at 07:39:55 PM PDT

•  You gotta be proud you made it past (5+ / 0-)

one level.  Not everyone does.

Gee I am in some weird optimism mode tonight.  I wonder where it is coming from?

by cohenzee on Thu Oct 25, 2012 at 07:42:51 PM PDT

•  tomorrow's friday? (4+ / 0-)

you're a buccaneers fan?

I am very proud I passed the test on my first try.  That's why I've celebrated with a bottle of wine tonight :)

I got a t-shirt (-6.88, -6.15)

by guyermo on Thu Oct 25, 2012 at 07:47:04 PM PDT

•  My sister is a Bucs fan; (3+ / 0-)
            guyermo, Cali Scribe, Larsstephens

I am a hockey fan, so it's not that.  Tomorrow being Friday, maybe.  I think it might the fact that I am over the shock of my beloved Islanders moving to Brooklyn.  I know it's a good thing, but still it stings.

by cohenzee on Thu Oct 25, 2012 at 07:56:26 PM PDT

•  a hockey fan! (3+ / 0-)
              cohenzee, Cali Scribe, Larsstephens

As a Minnesotan (the southern-most province of Canada) I am also a big hockey fan.  Disappointed in the lock-out, but I still have my Gophers, and considering the new Wild announcer, I don't mind not listening to him.

And the Islanders made the move with the Nets?  wtf...

And they haven't played a game there yet.  so technically they're not in Brooklyn.  ...yet.

I got a t-shirt (-6.88, -6.15)

by guyermo on Thu Oct 25, 2012 at 08:04:10 PM PDT

•  It's not supposed to happen (2+ / 0-)
                guyermo, Larsstephens

until 2015 unless they are able to get out of their lease earlier.  The move was speculated ever since Barclay's was built, but most fans thought the building of Barclay's would light a fire under the asses of the local politicians.  No dice though.  Still it does re-unite us with the Nets who used to play in the Coliseum before they moved to Jersey.

I've been getting my hockey fix going to Bridgeport for the Soundtigers, our minor league team.  Plus I am heading up to St. Catherines for some OHL action over Thanksgiving.  And at least the NHL Network is showing CHL games so we can watch prospects and potential draftees.  Gotta make do somehow.  While I may not live in Minny, it does offer viable hockey options.

by cohenzee on Thu Oct 25, 2012 at 08:20:11 PM PDT

•  Forgot to mention, (1+ / 0-)
                Larsstephens

but it sucks not being able to listen to Howie Rose call games.  I do love what Butch Goring did for us as a player, but man is he an idiot broadcaster.  At least I don't have to listen to the idiots that do the Devils and Rags broadcasts.  I don't know if you'd agree with me, but Pitts announcers are by far the worst in the league.

by cohenzee on Thu Oct 25, 2012 at 08:22:47 PM PDT

•  I'm not too familiar with other announcers (2+ / 0-)
                  cohenzee, Larsstephens

But we got Doug McCleod back doing Gopher g ames after broadcasting for several NHL teams.  Anthony Lapanta (now for the Wild) has a voice that grates on my brain, and every time someone scores a goal he yells 'SCORE!'  instead of 'SCORES!' or 'GOAL!'

I got a t-shirt (-6.88, -6.15)

by guyermo on Thu Oct 25, 2012 at 08:27:17 PM PDT

•  I am so obessed (2+ / 0-)
                    guyermo, Larsstephens

I have that NHL Home Ice package.  It's one of my very few splurges.  It's a must for a fantasy hockey player such as myself.  With that I can hear every other teams broadcasts when they aren't playing one of the local teams.  Grating voices are bad.  The thing I personally hate the most are homer announcers.  I want my announcers to call the game as fairly as possible.  We used to have this guy Billy Jaffe do color who now does a lot of national games on Versus or NBC Sports Network or whatever they are called now.  He is the best.  He diagrams plays for the viewers showing what the team did well or badly in an intelligent but understandable way.  Unfortunately he was a little to negative for the owner's taste, so he got canned.  The way the Isles suck, how could any announcer been positive?

There are a few D-1 teams in CT, but they are all too far for me to drive to without getting home before midnight.

by cohenzee on Thu Oct 25, 2012 at 08:39:03 PM PDT

•  Thinking of springing for CI (2+ / 0-)
                      cohenzee, Larsstephens

if it's not too pricy -- since it looks like there won't be a full 82-game schedule it might be reasonable. Mainly San Jose Sharks fan here, but do appreciate other teams, and I like curling up with my crochet for a relaxing evening of ice time.

Right now baseball is my craze; San Francisco Giants took a commanding lead in the World Series, 2 games to nothing with our possibly best post-season pitcher going in Game 3.

"If we ever needed to vote we sure do need to vote now" -- Rev. William Barber, NAACP

by Cali Scribe on Thu Oct 25, 2012 at 09:05:18 PM PDT

•  You guys have an (1+ / 0-)
                        Larsstephens

awesome announcing team for the Sharks.  I watch a lot of their games just to listen to them.  I am sure it will be reasonably priced.  They usually offer discounts as the season progresses, so I would imagine they'd do the same for a short season.

I am rooting for the Giants in honor of my father who was a NY Giants fan and stuck with them after they left.  If they hold on and win it will be really bittersweet.  I could just hear him now after tonight's win.  The only thing that would make him happier is if they were up 2-0 to the Damn Yankees.

by cohenzee on Thu Oct 25, 2012 at 09:20:04 PM PDT

•  and thanks :) n/t (5+ / 0-)

I got a t-shirt (-6.88, -6.15)

by guyermo on Thu Oct 25, 2012 at 07:40:20 PM PDT

• Labor (18)
  • Politics (17)
  • Media (16)
  • Texas (16)
  • Environment (16)
  • 2016 (15)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site