View Diary: Bill Maher calls out right-wing pizza CEOs (190 comments)

•  Rec'ing not because you (19+ / 0-)

actually wrote much of this, (ahem) but because I too believe more people need to know the men behind these pizza chains.

Monaghan, for instance, is completely batshit crazy.  Creating Legatus apparently wasn't enough. Check out Ave Maria Florida - a town he built and wherein he can play God.

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for thou art crunchy and good with ketchup.

by Pariah Dog on Sat Oct 20, 2012 at 06:01:27 AM PDT

•  Ave Maria is SUCH a good example of what (10+ / 0-)

wingnuts want - an end to democracy.  The corporate interests fully and openly control the town, tax residents as they please, and do not allow residents to vote.  The Naples News series you linked to is an excellent look at what's happened there.

"Injustice wears ever the same harsh face wherever it shows itself." - Ralph Ellison

by KateCrashes on Sat Oct 20, 2012 at 08:15:18 AM PDT

•  Absolutely right. (1+ / 0-)
      Pariah Dog

My DH used to work for him (back before he came to his senses and repudiated his rw views) and utterly despises the guy. Could tell stories, but probably would be dangerous to do so. Horrible man, terrible politics, awful pizza.

I'm seeking to organize DKos members in SE Michigan--roughly, from the Ohio line at Lake Erie NE to Port Huron, W to Flint and back S from there. If you'd like to join our new group, Motor City Kossacks (working title), please Kosmail me.

by peregrine kate on Sat Oct 20, 2012 at 01:19:04 PM PDT

•  Well, (1+ / 0-)
        peregrine kate

you could always Kos mail me the stories (big hint).

I know what you mean though. I started a diary back in 2008 about a similar guy by the name of Joe Canizaro in NOLA (another charter member of Legatus) and that's where I ran onto Monaghan and a whole slew of guys just like him. I basically chickened out when I realized the magnitude of their reach.

But I'm older now and don't scare as easily these days.

I'm ashamed to say though that I used to love Dominos pizza.

by Pariah Dog on Sat Oct 20, 2012 at 02:56:41 PM PDT

•  I'll tell my DH that you also have Legatus (0+ / 0-)

ties, and maybe he will Kosmail you. Fraught memories though, all the way around.

Yes, they really are ambitious and aggressive, the men of Legatus. All the work that Frederick Clarkson, Frank Cocozelli, and the other talktoaction folks do is excellent, but they barely scratch the surface of the Catholic theocrats like these. These guys mean business and they take the very, very long view, and not in any way that progressives can support.

Eh, maybe you had a good Domino's franchise by you! ;)

I ask this because of your user name, mostly, but there used to be a poster named dogemperor around here (& talktoaction) who also clearly knew the real deal. I wonder what happened to that person; their analysis was great. Wish I knew where s/he was now, and I do hope s/he's OK.

by peregrine kate on Sat Oct 20, 2012 at 03:35:58 PM PDT

•  I used to read everything dogemperor wrote! (1+ / 0-)
            peregrine kate

And I still posts links to his/her diaries whenever I get the chance. In case you were asking, that wasn't me.

I immediately became intrigued when those diaries answered some old questions concerning seemingly unrelated encounters I had back in the early seventies.

There was the mail addressed to a guy with a very distinctive name who lived way down the road. Somehow it kept winding up in my mailbox despite the names and house numbers having no resemblence to each other. Then there was the guy's wife who immediately got very friendly. I never did actually lay eyes on her husband, but she kept inviting me to lunch with her and "some friends" until I finally accepted. It turned out to be a Full Gospel Businessman's Fellowship International gathering. Then THEY all wanted to be my friend!  We had Amway distributors coming out the ying yang. It went on and on.

Reading dogemperor's diaries were like WOAH! THAT WAS ALL RELATED!

I've surmised dogemperor must have faded into the ether because they'd warned us about everything they could. It was a pretty extensive and sobering series.

At least I hope that's why they left DKos. I recall they were very concerned that their indentity would be discovered. There seemed to be a real fear about that, and it made me wonder just what it was they feared.

by Pariah Dog on Mon Oct 22, 2012 at 12:25:29 PM PDT