View Diary: Bill Maher calls out right-wing pizza CEOs (190 comments)

•  I tend to order from chains (1+ / 0-)
    BruinKid

Because most pizzerias are almost completely based on the inferior NY pizza, and chains at least will have Chicago Thin Crust, just not Chicago Deepdish.

Never attribute to malice what is owed to ignorance or honest disagreement.

by ConfusedSkyes on Sat Oct 20, 2012 at 08:36:07 AM PDT

•  I lived in Chicago (3+ / 0-)
      BruinKid, TiaRachel, kurt

I love real thin crust Chicago pizza. Not one national chain sells anything even close to that. Homerun Inn's frozen pizza beats any of these national chains -- that is how bad they are. Chicago pizza has fantastic sausage, the best stretchy cheese, and sauce that doesn't taste like catsup. And I have looked all over Jersey for something close and cannot find it. But pizza chains seriously don't remind me one bit of Chicago thin crust pizza. There is one place in New York City that comes reasonably close, called John's. Well, it's not really close, but it is delicious and not New York style, which I like but doesn't compare to Chicago thin crust pizza, which I even like better than pizza in Italy. (I hope no real foodie is reading this.)

We Won't Let Republicans Replace Medicare with GOP Vouchercare!

by CatM on Sat Oct 20, 2012 at 08:53:59 AM PDT

•  I LOVE Chicago Deep Dish (1+ / 0-)
        Freakinout daily

I've eaten at Gino's East so many times, and each one was like a holy ritual for me.  I'd actually prepare by eating small healthy meals for several days before going so I'd be able to gorge myself at Gino's.

"When I was an alien, cultures weren't opinions" ~ Kurt Cobain, Territorial Pissings

by Subterranean on Sat Oct 20, 2012 at 11:14:32 AM PDT

•  I like deep dish (0+ / 0-)

But I don't really think of it as pizza. But I love the sausage they use. In NJ and NY, they slice the sausage into pepperoni-like wafers, and it sucks.

We Won't Let Republicans Replace Medicare with GOP Vouchercare!

by CatM on Sat Oct 20, 2012 at 12:06:20 PM PDT

•  I just realized why I bought all my pizza (1+ / 0-)
        CatM

either frozen or from chains when I lived in Seattle. I don't care what locals say or how angry and defensive they get about it (you'd be amazed), but it's really hard to find decent locally-owned and made pizza there. Pagliacci, Romio's and Zeke's are ok, but hardly compare to good Chicago or NYC pizza. Some cities just aren't pizza towns and you can't just walk a couple of blocks for a good slice or pie, so it's either so-so local pizzarias that are few and far between, or chains.

Now that I'm back in NYC, I'm realizing that I can kick this bad habit.

"Liberty without virtue would be no blessing to us" - Benjamin Rush, 1777

by kovie on Sat Oct 20, 2012 at 11:32:28 AM PDT

•  Or make your own :) (1+ / 0-)
          kovie

I was so frustrated when I left the Midwest at not being able to find Chicago style thin crust pizza that I set out on a quest to learn to make it. I never succeeded in making the pizza of my Chicago childhood, but my pizza is good enough that my teenaged sons beg me to make it instead of ordering out pizza. Unfortunately, you do have to make the dough the night before, so I don't always have it ready to go. And I can't find what I consider the perfect cheese, although Polly-o comes closest. My sauce isn't perfect (for me)  either, but adding a little fennel powder really enhances it -- and never ever cook the sauce. It kills the bright flavor you need for good pizza. And never use pre-grated cheese because it has a chemical to keep it from sticking together and doesn't get the right stretchiness.

We Won't Let Republicans Replace Medicare with GOP Vouchercare!

by CatM on Sat Oct 20, 2012 at 12:01:59 PM PDT

•  I make my own cheese now (1+ / 0-)
            CatM

It's actually pretty easy. You just need a couple of special ingredients that cost around $10 total and can make tons of cheese. Specifically, rennet and calcium chloride. You also need starter, but I've found that active culture buttermilk or yogurt works fine. Oh, and you need a decent dairly thermometer, around $5.

And milk, of course. And a non-reactive pot and bowl. And a long knife and slotted spoon. And some cheesecloth. And a timer. Ok, it sounds complicated, but it's really pretty easy and you probably have most of these things already.

Check out this site for everything you need to know, including recipes:

"Liberty without virtue would be no blessing to us" - Benjamin Rush, 1777

by kovie on Sat Oct 20, 2012 at 02:48:52 PM PDT

•  Do NOT dis authentic NYC pizza (0+ / 0-)

which if done right is excellent, whether in thin and round or thick and rectangular Sicilian form. Most chain pizza is only visually based on NYC pizza.

"Liberty without virtue would be no blessing to us" - Benjamin Rush, 1777

by kovie on Sat Oct 20, 2012 at 11:26:51 AM PDT

•  It's pretty good (1+ / 0-)
        kovie

I just prefer Chicago.

Never attribute to malice what is owed to ignorance or honest disagreement.

by ConfusedSkyes on Sat Oct 20, 2012 at 08:20:30 PM PDT

•  Which I fully respect (0+ / 0-)

I like it too. They're really two very different kinds of pizzas and comparing them is sort of like comparing the Yankees to the Bears. It's meaningless to say which is better. Although of course we both know which IS better. :-)

"Liberty without virtue would be no blessing to us" - Benjamin Rush, 1777