View Diary: Clemson Fans Boo the POTUS on Military Appreciation Day (289 comments)

•  Sorry for your fellow alums... (31+ / 0-)

Students, and other Clemson fans, Grizzard...and above all, for you and the many other Clemson alumni who do support president Obama and are (still) loyal Democrats--and yes, even in South Carolina, those people ARE around, folks.

Carolina alum here--no, not USC, but the one in Chapel Hill; the one in your conference. While we are used to, shall we say, a certain level of rabidity from those like you proud to wear that orange, I know it must have hurt to hear that...probably almost feeling as if they were partying like it was 1861. Reminds me of the NASCAR race at Darlington in 1992 when the crowd cheered at the sight of a "No Draft Dodger For President!" banner flown over the famed "Lady in Black" raceway. Funny, many of those same folks are probably about to vote for a REAL "draft dodger" and also probably think nothing of it.

But you're right; that's sickening. Whether they support our president for re-election or not, to vociferously boo the very mention of his OFFICE, not even his NAME, is truly disgusting. I'm sorry for you, and for Clemson Obama supporters everywhere. Ironic that the game today was against Virginia Tech, which is also a land-grant school and which still has--like Texas A&M--a cadet corps along with a "regular" student body.

"Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it."--George Santayana

by GainesT1958 on Sat Oct 20, 2012 at 06:14:22 PM PDT

•  Darlington (25+ / 0-)

My hometown.

I believe I hold the title of most liberal person in the history of Darlington. And also the first person to get out.

"I believe that, as long as there is plenty, poverty is evil." ~Bobby Kennedy

by Grizzard on Sat Oct 20, 2012 at 06:18:23 PM PDT

•  You're from Darlington? (5+ / 0-)

Wow...I lived in Florence when I was in Eighth Grade, and went to Byrnes Academy; knew several people from Darlington who went there. So the Lady In Black is in your hometown? Wow!

For a year I had direct contact with lots of fans, alums and kids of--and future alums themselves of--both USC and Clemson (and a few of The Citadel, too!). Was always struck by how visceral the USC/Clemson rivalry was, and still is. Very much like N.C. State and Carolina, only a bit more intense in ways I find hard to put into words. (Sorry, we just lost to Dook in football for the first time in nine years, and I'm a bit sick at the moment).

Anyhow, Grizzard, rest assured we're pulling for you, and all your fellow loyal D's there--including, of course, all of your fellow orange-wearing D's!:-)

"Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it."--George Santayana

by GainesT1958 on Sat Oct 20, 2012 at 08:12:56 PM PDT

•  NASCAR history (10+ / 0-)

Do you know the origins of NASCAR?  Prohibition.

During Prohibition, lots of young fellows were ferrying moonshine and illegal booze all over the South, mostly on back roads.  These fellows were constantly improving their cars, making the engines more powerful, increasing maneuverability, etc.  The object was always to outrun the Feds, which they did with ease.

After Prohibition ended, they still liked tinkering with their cars.  Thus was born NASCAR.

•  When we lived outside Asheville, NC, (1+ / 0-)
        dotdash2u

my parents used to have some good friends who were with the stock car racing business.  They met a couple of NASCAR pioneers, men whose names are remembered by racing fans.  A couple admitted they got into the business by running moonshine.  Others were still a bit nervous about the revenooers.  They all had potty mouths.

I can't believe there are people today who think that sport represents Wholesome Family Values.

Demagogue: one who preaches doctrines he knows to be untrue to men he knows to be idiots.--H. L. Mencken

by Ice Blue on Sun Oct 21, 2012 at 07:15:39 AM PDT

•  Has anyone here read the late, great Joe Bageant? (0+ / 0-)

Or for that matter, the great political scientist, V. O. Key?

Plenty of misunderstanding of Southern history and culture here.

What's festering in the South is proto-fascism, and it's not limited to that locale.  You can find it in New England or California.

It might help if:

1) People focused on class rather than racial or religious distinctions; and

2) People emphasized efforts of how do we increase solidarity rather than how do we condemn and dismiss.

•  Speaking of the 1992 Southern 500 (4+ / 0-)
      GainesT1958, sethtriggs, qm1pooh, Ice Blue

...IIRC correctly, that was the same race in which the "No Draft Dodger for President" banner was flown over Darlington, although I may be wrong, but Davey Allison was leading with rain threatening, and Allison's crew chief, Larry McReynolds, sent one of his crew members to look at the weather radar around the Darlington area, and the crew member told McReynolds that the radar was "all green", and McReynolds (incorrectly) thought that green on a weather radar meant clear skies, so he brought Allison into pits to change the tires and add fuel to Allison's car, and, no sooner as Allison's pit stop was completed, the skies opened up, and Darrell Waltrip ended up winning because NASCAR couldn't restart the race.

"Rahm Emaunel is the leader of the Scott Walker Wing of the Democratic Party!" -Me

by DownstateDemocrat on Sat Oct 20, 2012 at 07:56:38 PM PDT

•  GainesT, you make me proud (0+ / 0-)

to be a fellow Tar Heel (tough game tonight, huh?).

"So keep fighting for freedom and justice, beloveds..." -- Molly Ivins

by goheelsgodems on Sat Oct 20, 2012 at 09:34:57 PM PDT

•  Makes me sad and embarrassed. (4+ / 0-)

I'm from South Carolina and lived there for most of my life. The people I love most in the world are still there, except for my husband; he and I now live in a purple state. My son graduated from Clemson. Many good friends have ties there.

Living in a purple state now, I watch my home state from a distant 2000 miles away, and it hurts to hear about the idiocy that happened today.