View Diary: Greedy big-profit health insurers charge patients for talking too much -- yes, really... (115 comments)

•  I just found out my doctor bills insurance (13+ / 0-)

if I call for prescription refills and it's been more than 3 months since I came in last. I have a host of chronic, managed illnesses that don't necessitate constant visits, just prescription refills. I schedule a visit if necessary. Usually, only about 3 times per year, at most. On occasion, a situation will necessitate multiple visits, 2 or 3 times in a week or three, but then I can go for months and months without another visit. He requires no more than 3 months between visits for scripts. I try to just call in scripts so that I save money on the office visit for the copays on the drugs. I opened my EOB one month, and saw a visit charged and I hadn't seen him in 5 months. When I called, the nurse said: "Well, he charges after 3 months. You might as well just come in, then."

"Mitt Romney looks like the CEO who fires you, then goes to the Country Club and laughs about it with his friends." ~ Thomas Roberts MSNBC

by second gen on Mon Oct 22, 2012 at 12:55:57 PM PDT

•  Charging for a VISIT if you didn't come in? (10+ / 0-)

A visit? Not a file review, but a visit?

Yeah, there's a word for that. Rhymes with odd.

© grover

by grover on Mon Oct 22, 2012 at 02:01:55 PM PDT

•  He's milking you. (10+ / 0-)

Anything except controlled substances can be written as 90-day prescriptions with 3 refills, for a full year between visits.  If  he insists on seeing you every three months, he's just running up the bill.  A lot of doctors do that, insisting that they have to have constant lab monitoring, but the fact is that you will know that there's something wrong as soon or sooner than any valid lab test will show a problem.  You LIVE in your body.  He doesn't.

•  He (1+ / 0-)
        second gen

can post date controlled substances by writing multiple scripts.  Psych doctors doe this all the time for children or adults.  Ritalin or Adderall.

If there is a change in medication then I can understand.  But even then you should be contacted by him or the nurse before billing you.

"There are four boxes to use in the defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo. Use in that order." Ed Howdershelt

by Lava20 on Tue Oct 23, 2012 at 01:23:43 AM PDT

•  perhaps (2+ / 0-)
          susanala, second gen

Rules are prescription of scheduled substances vary by state.

A doctor CANNOT postdate the script. That is straightforwardly not allowed. You have to write the date the script is written on it. They can, in some states, say that a prescription can't be filled before a certain date.

The plural of anecdote is not data.

by Skipbidder on Tue Oct 23, 2012 at 03:40:49 AM PDT

•  The (1+ / 0-)
            second gen

prescriptions for these can't be filled earlier than 30 days like any other controlled medicine.  But he can certainly write what date on there it was written and can be dispensed for non-refillable meds.

by Lava20 on Tue Oct 23, 2012 at 03:54:13 AM PDT

•  think we are probably not disagreeing (2+ / 0-)
              Lava20, second gen

A prescription must have on it the date it was written. This cannot be postdated. Doing so is fraud.

In some, but not all, states, it is allowed to write multiple scripts and add an extra instruction to not fill before a certain date.

The plural of anecdote is not data.

by Skipbidder on Tue Oct 23, 2012 at 04:12:54 AM PDT

•  Yes (1+ / 0-)
                second gen

We are.  I said it wrong.  My bad.

Especially for maintenance medications.  Many people have to do phone consults depending on disability.  Imagine Schizophrenia/Bipolar patient who had to check in once a month for Lithium.

Not to mention depression and mania medications can't be stopped suddenly.

I had to take one to treat depression as a side effect.  Decided to stop taking it.  My entire body seized.  Entire back and neck started to contort.  For 12 hours.

Lucky the ER has my complete medical records.  The doctor noticed that I was prescribed it a month before.  The side effect took almost two weeks to kick in.

Scary.

by Lava20 on Tue Oct 23, 2012 at 04:25:20 AM PDT

•  different type of prescription (1+ / 0-)
                  second gen

Lithium isn't scheduled.

Some medications for depression can be stopped suddenly, others cannot.

There still exist no circumstances where it is acceptable for a doctor to postdate a prescription. "Do not fill before" or other similar instructions are allowed under many circumstances. The date on the script still needs to be the actual date you wrote it. Not all states allow this sort of prescription writing for all medications. There are often varying rules for the different levels of scheduled medications.

The plural of anecdote is not data.

by Skipbidder on Tue Oct 23, 2012 at 01:07:05 PM PDT

•  I agree. I've been taking pretty much the (0+ / 0-)

same meds for almost 10 years. But he's one of the few docs in my area. The others either aren't taking patients, or one has already dumped me over an unpaid copay (30 days past due)

by second gen on Tue Oct 23, 2012 at 05:34:25 PM PDT

•  you need a new doctor (5+ / 0-)

1. Under no circumstance should you be billed for an office visit when you didn't come to the office. I can schedule phone or email consults with my doctor, they aren't free but they aren't billed the same as in-person office visits. Also, I get one "free" follow-up question via phone or email for each office visit or lab test.

2. I second cynndara's comment: if you're taking something that doesn't require routine monitoring you should be able to get a 90-day prescription with 3 refills. I'm on such a drug and I see the doctor once per year. Every three months is ridiculous - and a ripoff.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx

by Joe Bob on Mon Oct 22, 2012 at 08:16:10 PM PDT

•  I understand that I need a new doctor. (0+ / 0-)

But at this moment, he's one of the few around in my area. I have a shitty car that I hate to drive. I've already gone through one doc in the area because I didn't pay the copay right away, so he dumped me.

I don't particularly care for this one, but I live in a rural area.

Previous doctors used to write at least 6 months refills. Or even a year. He insists on one month at a time, and a visit every 3.

by second gen on Tue Oct 23, 2012 at 05:32:42 PM PDT