View Diary: Bookflurries-Bookchat: First Impressions (144 comments)

•  Wow. IF I'd written Moby Dick I'd be pretty (2+ / 0-)
    Brecht, cfk

bitter if people hated it. Wouldn't that be horrible? Van Gogh-ish. Now I could have made a very bad joke about that.

I don't know if he wrote it before or after that but I remember enjoying Bartleby the Scrivener.

"extreme concentration of income is incompatible with real democracy.... the truth is that the whole nature of our society is at stake." Paul Krugman

by Gorette on Mon Oct 29, 2012 at 03:18:23 PM PDT

•  Feel free to make bad jokes, especially puns. (2+ / 0-)
      cfk, Gorette

I do it so frequently that my best friend and I have an agreement that when either of us makes a joke, but it's not funny, they have to put their hand up to indicate that they made a joke.

Bartleby the Scrivener has a certain magic. I am frequently tempted, when asked to do something simple by someone well-read, to reply "I would prefer not to".

Billy Budd is a sad but very well-told tale, too.

"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth" Samuel Johnson

by Brecht on Mon Oct 29, 2012 at 04:06:55 PM PDT

•  Ah, yes, that quote. How could I have forgotten (1+ / 0-)
        Brecht

that? In many of the jobs I had after reading that I would have preferred to say that very often!

I couldn't help but think of Melville and Moby Dick when I saw that ship the HMS Bounty which was going to sink. I know that whaling vessels were different, but same era, right? So sad to see a beautiful ship replicated and then it sinks, along with a young woman crew member and the captain. I just wanted to say that somewhere. I live alone and have no one to just chat with usually.

Actually I love Vincent so much I hate jokes about his ear, and that's probably why I didn't make it.

by Gorette on Tue Oct 30, 2012 at 08:26:07 AM PDT

•  I did not know about the HMS Bounty, but I looked (1+ / 0-)
          Gorette

up an article since you mentioned it. I have no TV, and it saves me from no end of trauma and depression. That was a sad tale - she sounded so happy in the weeks before the tragedy.

Vincent, too, such a tragedy. I like that line on Don McLean's American Pie album:

But I could have told you, Vincent,
          This world was never meant for one
          As beautiful as you.
          Everyone cultured and sensitive feels sad for Vincent, for working so hard, making so many magnificent paintings, and selling just one in his lifetime. But we should admire his courage, too, the strength of his conviction. His paintings didn't sell, but he never stopped, he stayed true to his muse. Thank God, for us and posterity.

"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth" Samuel Johnson

by Brecht on Tue Oct 30, 2012 at 05:13:53 PM PDT

•  That's true, and he is a good inspiration for (1+ / 0-)
            Brecht

writers as well as artists. Thanks so much for reminding me of those beautiful lyrics which I love, and the website, new to me. That catalogue of his works is unreal.

Don't know about you but I was very fortunate to visit his museum in Amsterdam years ago and it was overwhelming to me. At that time they had about 300 paintings and drawings so you could see the progression and how much work he accomplished in his short years, putting all he had into it. The blinding beauty of one of his paintings seen in person provokes awe. It's not really just beauty though, it's a spirit, comprehension of reality and vibrancy. They sing. As I'm sure you know, it's just nice to talk about my favorite painter (painting is another of my vices).

I used to have a great print of this in my home, but in person at the Musee D'Orsay it is incredibly alive, the colors much brighter. (Hey, do you think I use too many adjectives? heh. I seem to love superlatives but with Vincent they are inevitable.)

Fritillaries

True colors of that painting.

by Gorette on Wed Oct 31, 2012 at 09:34:08 AM PDT

•  Adjectives are great. I try to use a wide variety. (1+ / 0-)
              Gorette

For instance, about 6% of the adjectives I use are "great". But I'm working on it.

I went to Amsterdam once. I enjoyed it, but I'd have had a wilder kind of fun if I hadn't been there with my dad. Still, we both loved the rijstaffel, and the Van Gogh museum was a revelation. The Rembrandts in the other big museum were pretty impressive. But Van Gogh is wonderful to immerse yourself in.

There are such energy and spirit shining out of Vincent's work. He enriched the world.

"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth" Samuel Johnson