View Diary: NC Early Voting Day 6: 135K Minority/Dem '08 Non-Early-Voters Have Voted… Vs 78K White GOPers (96 comments)

•  If Pat McCrory wins, NC will be screwed (17+ / 0-)

I 'm working on a diary for this.
    But read here what might happen, if we don't prevent a Pat McCrory win.

Don't forget to register to vote here: http://netrootsradio.blogspot.com/p/register-to-vote.html

by bepanda on Wed Oct 24, 2012 at 09:42:33 AM PDT

•  I've seen dozens of McCrory signs around Raleigh (7+ / 0-)

and exactly three Dalton signs, even where there are Obama-Biden signs in yards.  I haven't seen a single Dalton commercial on TV, nor heard anything about him and I read a lot.

Dalton is like a stealth candidate for some reason, at least here in the Triangle.  Does he just figure that he's going to carry this area and not feel it's worth spending time/money here or what?

A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism. -Carl Sagan

by jo fish on Wed Oct 24, 2012 at 10:10:04 AM PDT

•  I have no idea. (2+ / 0-)
          elwior, AreDeutz

I've asked around here for someone to explain the lack of a campaign or enthusiasm for Dalton. Living in NC for only three years, I thought maybe I'm missing some baggage or some such crap that's dragging Dalton down.

If you get any answers, let me know :-/

•  Bev Perdue has not been a popular governor. (7+ / 0-)

Consequently, it has dragged Dalton down. Dalton would be a fantastic gov, but I think N.C. is going to get stuck with McCrory. McCrory is your typical GOP toad. I was born and raised in N.C. it will be a shame to see her going backwards for the first time in my 50 years on this earth.

The loudest cries for war come from those who have never seen one.

by MadGeorgiaDem on Wed Oct 24, 2012 at 10:36:17 AM PDT

•  but as I understand it, (8+ / 0-)

a lot of Perdue's problem has been the same as Obama's the last couple of years, a legilslature full of knuckle-dragging Repubs bound and determined to prevent any accomplishments by the other side.

"There are no Americans at the airport!" -- Baghdad Bob
              "I’ve got a very effective campaign." -- Mitt Romney

by Mnemosyne on Wed Oct 24, 2012 at 11:09:02 AM PDT

•  That too. (4+ / 0-)
                Mnemosyne, highacidity, TexDem, Bluehawk

The N.C. General Assembly fell into GOP hands and it made Perdue's job harder.

The loudest cries for war come from those who have never seen one.

by MadGeorgiaDem on Wed Oct 24, 2012 at 11:21:29 AM PDT

•  I'm calling BS on that (3+ / 0-)
                highacidity, Bluehawk, keetz4

not on you Mnemosyne or MadGeorgiaDem, but the notion that Bev Perdue has been a bad governor.  I know she's unpopular but she hasn't done anything to deserve unpopularity.  She had a very tough situation to deal with - I think a lot of people blame her for the economy being so much worse in NC than nationally, but it's not anything she did.  Look, we've had the same unemployment rate as SC and nearly the same as GA, both have had conservative Republican governors for a decade.  And some people see her as incapable because she's a woman, unfortunately.

I don't think McCrory is a bad guy or that he will be an extreme governor on economic issues but he'll sign whatever crazy social issues the legislature proposes, and he'll dismantle the voting system in NC.

VA-03 (current residence) NC-07 (home)

by psychicpanda on Wed Oct 24, 2012 at 12:58:51 PM PDT

•  dalton doesn't do himself any favors (6+ / 0-)

to raise money among democrats (myself included) you need to have a message that appeals to base.  "i'm not pat mccrory" is not that message.

sure, maybe that message will you get some votes, but it's not an effective message for donors.  when i can give my money to obama, to elizabeth warren (b/c US senate is important too) and nc supreme court....why would i give my money to walter dalton?

there are A LOT of democratic priorities to go around this election cycle.  NC governor is ONE of them.  so for governor dalton to go around talking about the fracking veto is one he wouldn't have signed and other rethug policies....

who is he talking to?  not to me.

i had actually signed up for re-occuring contributions to dalton's campaign but had to re-allocate my funding when he decided it was better to appeal to republicans (who were never going to vote for him anyway) than to be a real democrat.

democrats in NC suffered through this with easley.  we have the blue dogs.  there's nothing like republican lite candidates to embolden the myth that there's no difference between the two parties--so why does my vote matter?

dalton has no campaign because he's nothing the base can be excited over.  dems refuse to learn that lesson even when the stakes couldn't be higher.

when there's a limited amount of resources (and there are!), dems will funnel those towards their progressives.  republicans, even with all their flaws, understand that.

for folks who pride themselves on believing in evolution and understanding our mistakes--we're lightyears behind on this one.

•  start preparing now (0+ / 0-)

well, a lot of that could be fixed if dems prepare...start raising $ nationally Nov 8th to win the judges races , for instance...start planting dems as independants and repugs etc.

• Recommended (130)
  • Science (28)
  • Republicans (26)
  • Media (25)
  • Civil Rights (24)
  • Barack Obama (24)
  • Education (23)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (21)
  • Law (21)
  • Economy (19)
  • Congress (17)
  • Labor (16)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site