View Diary: NC Early Voting Day 9: Yes Virginia, Obama Really Can Win North Carolina (111 comments)

•  On those black voters, some did not vote in 2008 (8+ / 0-)

because they did not believe a black man could win the presidency. There was a diary on that very subject. I don't think we know with much accuracy how many people are in that demographic......blacks who did not vote in 2008 but plan to vote in 2012 and will vote for Obama. Time will tell.

•  I look in Indiana in 2008 (1+ / 0-)
      highacidity

Indiana was 2008's big surprise.  And a lot of what pushed Obama over the top was black turnout in Gary.

I have a hard to time seeing an uptick in black voters in 2012.

To the extent that the on-going demographic disaster that is the GOP fails in 2012, the uptick for Dems will be from younger white voters and hispanics.

Fun election from a data standpoint.  I'm actually of the opinion that pollsters are going to be a central part of the conversation after the election.  There's just something in the mix right now that feels like the media will be talking about "how did we get it so wrong" come November 7th.

•  70k+ more AA in NC have voted than in 2008 (7+ / 0-)

As of today, 70,000 more AA have voted than in 2008. Yes, there are still plenty of AA who haven't voted yet and our job is to get them out.

Don't forget to register to vote here: http://netrootsradio.blogspot.com/p/register-to-vote.html

by bepanda on Sat Oct 27, 2012 at 01:45:13 PM PDT

•  Citation? (0+ / 0-)

As a Dem, obviously I'd be giddy to see an uptick among black Americans voting. But, a citation would help.

Also, is that 77k more in Indiana, or . . . ?  Just curious.

•  CarolinaTransparency.org says 72,751 (0+ / 0-)

Carolina Transparency's VoteTracker gives up-to-date NC absentee and OSEV numbers. You can compare to 2008 stats the same number of days before the election here (or by clicking "Compare to the 2008 General Election" button at the first link).

There have been 389,762 African-American votes so far this year, compared to 317,011 African-American votes as of 10 days before the election in 2008. That's a difference of 72,751.

(Carolina Transparency is a project of the Civitas Institute, which is definitely right-leaning, so I'm naturally wary. However, the numbers are straight from the NC State Board of Elections (link goes to a list of downloadable reports). I have to admit Carolina Transparency is a nice user-friendly interface, though.)

•  NC voters only. Here is the link (0+ / 0-)

by bepanda on Sat Oct 27, 2012 at 04:56:24 PM PDT

•  I voted Early in NC (1+ / 0-)
            ineedabetterhandle

I have no citation but I voted in the same place I voted in 2008. African-American voter turnout was good then but it certainly was excellent at our polling place the whole time I was there this year.

The woman in front of me in line couldn't keep herself from muttering about how if all the families knew what would be happening to their student loans without Obama they would know who to vote for.

The woman behind me in line was a young Latina who seemed to have been brought to the polling place by a middle-aged African-American woman who stood with her in line up to the door and was explaining the fine points of how the ballot worked. Looked like a new voter to me.

I guess it would offend everyone if I went down the line and hugged all the black and brown people, but I sure was glad to see them there.

•  I recall overhearing (12+ / 0-)

some people trying to persuade a young black woman to vote in 2008. The girl kept saying, "It doesn't matter. He won't win. My vote won't count.

I hear people telling me my vote doesn't count all the time but it does count. Someone told me my county went for President Obama last election. I got a bit of a swagger in my step after that. We didn't win it for him but our votes counted, in my opinion.

And even if my county never went democratic I would still consider that my vote counted. If I was the only democrat in the state I would feel that my vote counts.

To my way of looking at it we are voting for all the people who struggled for human rights down the years, for the beautiful boy in China who stared down a tank, for the lovely young people in Iran who tried to overthrow tyranny armed with nothing but their flesh and blood bodies.

I get carried away sometimes, but you know what I mean.

Facts matter. Joe Biden

by kpardue on Sat Oct 27, 2012 at 01:45:29 PM PDT

•  Oh, top comment, for sure! (4+ / 0-)
        kpardue, prairiegirl, jazzence, Byblis

This is pure poetry

A homo in a bi-national relationship - at 49, I had to give up my career, leave behind my dying father, my family & friends and move to Europe. And I'm one of the *lucky* ones: Immigration Equality

by aggieric on Sat Oct 27, 2012 at 02:29:08 PM PDT

•  Thank you. (2+ / 0-)
          aggieric, prairiegirl

You are very kind but no. I just tend to get emotional around election day.

I was raised on The Democratic Party the way Scarlet O'hara was raised on Hell.

Facts matter. Joe Biden

by kpardue on Sat Oct 27, 2012 at 02:44:51 PM PDT

•  My poetry professor in college would have said (2+ / 0-)
            kpardue, prairiegirl

something like "Well of course! Poetry IS emotion!"

My lack of success in that class kept me off the honors list for that semester, but far from holding a grudge against her for my weakness at poetry, I kept the professor in my life until her death a couple of years ago.

And so regardless of your modesty, it's been sent to Top Comments already :-)

by aggieric on Sat Oct 27, 2012 at 02:54:57 PM PDT

•  Great comment. (1+ / 0-)
        kpardue

I get a little emotional about the significance of the vote also.