View Diary: Pres. Obama breaks climate silence on MTV (124 comments)

•  I think we are pretty much in agreement, (0+ / 0-)

just a matter of emphasis and timing.

You can't scare me, I'm sticking to the Union - Woody Guthrie

by sewaneepat on Sat Oct 27, 2012 at 06:46:04 AM PDT

•  This is one case where rhetoric AND action (1+ / 0-)
      A Siegel

are necessary to reinforce each other. We're not discussing preservation of the snail darter in the face of a proposed dam. We're talking our survival.

Even if I knew that tomorrow the world would go to pieces, I would still plant my apple tree. -Martin Luther

by the fan man on Sat Oct 27, 2012 at 09:38:03 AM PDT

•  What is said in the course of a campaign is (0+ / 0-)

not nearly as important to me as what the actions are after the election.

You can't scare me, I'm sticking to the Union - Woody Guthrie

by sewaneepat on Sat Oct 27, 2012 at 10:43:43 AM PDT

•  When both campaigns sign on to "silence", it (0+ / 0-)

means something. If his second term turns out to be a barnstormer, I'll be as happy as you are now. This first term has been weak tea.

by the fan man on Sat Oct 27, 2012 at 10:48:43 AM PDT

•  But ... (1+ / 0-)
          the fan man

what is said in the campaign sets the stage for, establishes expectations for, and builds support for the actions after the election.  What does near silence on the risks (and opportunities) of climate change during the election say about that?

Blogging regularly at Get Energy Smart NOW! for a sustainable energy future.

by A Siegel on Sat Oct 27, 2012 at 12:00:19 PM PDT

•  I think this election will be decided on (0+ / 0-)

economic and social issues. Under the circumstances when the President took office, I think he had to deal with the economy first, and has done quite a bit about the environment also. But if it had been more normal circumstances, I think he would have done more. And in his second term, I expect him to- although, as I said before, we will need to keep the pressure  up.

But I believe the President knows the stakes and cares about his daughters and the world they will inherit,

You can't scare me, I'm sticking to the Union - Woody Guthrie

by sewaneepat on Sat Oct 27, 2012 at 12:20:12 PM PDT

•  Since you bring up the snail darter, (1+ / 0-)
        A Siegel

the attempt to stop the Tellico Dam wasn't really about the snail darter. That was the legal pretext to try to stop construction.

But the real issues were twofold:

First, the hundreds of farmers and homeowners who were displaced from very fertile farmland, who were given a pittance for their land under eminent domain. Much of which land  TVA eventually sold at very high prices for lake side lots.

And secondly, the flooding not only of fertile farmland, but many historic Cherokee towns and villages (including the capital of Echota and Tanasi, which the state was named for), gravesites, and archeological sites going back 8000 years. So not only was it a desecration, but a great loss of history.

All for a frigging recreational lake, as if Tennessee didn't have many lakes. Tellico produces no electricity.

And the opponents had to use the only legal means to try to stop construction, so I certainly applaud them for trying to stop this boondoggle for the wealthy. However, the unintended consequence of using the snail darter was the perception that it was unnecessary and costly because the snail darter lives in many other rivers and streams in Tennessee.

You can't scare me, I'm sticking to the Union - Woody Guthrie