View Diary: Update x3: Devastating indictment of the entire GOP in one simple image. (207 comments)

•  Few thoughts: (14+ / 0-)

We didn't create this image.  A political cartoonists in a newspaper did.

Squishy moderates generally don't hang out at dKos.

Do you know  a woman who had a pre-Roe abortion?  There are some issues where we need to draw big bright lines in the sand. And this is one: it literally is a life vs death issue. If you've known someone that's had a pre-Roe abortion.  it might be easier to understand why some of us who usually are pretty nuanced tend to throw caution to the wind when it comes to abortion.

86% of Americans believe Abortion should be legal. Squishy moderates aren't easily offended on this issue. Only the 14% hard-core pro-lifers would be, and they'll never vote Dem for that very reason.

© grover

by grover on Sat Oct 27, 2012 at 11:03:19 AM PDT

•  Oh, come now. (2+ / 0-)
      kurt, phonegery

Calling the poster a squishy moderate is hardly helpful.

The poster is undoubtedly a voter and a thoughtful one, even if he/she doesn't agree with you or me.

Surely persuasion would be the better choice here.

Facts matter. Joe Biden

by kpardue on Sat Oct 27, 2012 at 01:03:27 PM PDT

•  Oh come now. (1+ / 0-)
        zett

Read what he said:

I'm telling y'all we'll be seen as tasteless human beings by wishy washy gutless moderates.
        I was addressing his point. He call them  " wishy washy gutless moderates" and I called them "squishy moderates." We're talking about the same people.

I've seen the commenter around dKos enough to know he's not a gutless moderate. I did not say nor imply that.  I respect his opinion.  I just disagree with him.

© grover

by grover on Sat Oct 27, 2012 at 07:10:12 PM PDT

•  Really? Only the hard core, huh? (0+ / 0-)

I'd argue that EVERYONE is shocked and horrified by the thought of coathanger abortions.  Additionally I'd argue that a not insignificant number of the 86% who support a woman's right to choose are on some level opposed to abortion.  That the dKos community is unoffended surprises me not.  We are the fringe.

"Ich bin ein Dachs!"

by PvtJarHead on Sat Oct 27, 2012 at 01:24:23 PM PDT

•  ah, now we get to the root of (2+ / 0-)
        Dave in Northridge, phonegery

your concern:

We are the fringe.

I know all kinds of people just like you do. And I damn sure don't presume to speak for any of them.  I'm not sure why you think you know how others are going to react--you're not them.

And I have a pretty good idea you know all about the fringe--just not the kind of fringe you want us all to think you know all about.

It is time to #Occupy Media.

by lunachickie on Sat Oct 27, 2012 at 02:26:47 PM PDT

•  Whoa. It has been fairly widely acknowledged (1+ / 0-)
          PvtJarHead

around here, for years, that DKOS partisans are, indeed the the liberal/progressive fringe.  Nothing new there and your aggressiveness in that regard is off-base.

Yes, the imagery is visceral, the history horrific. But PvtJarHead is really only pointing out a truism in public relations and messaging techniques: what works with one group of people doesn't work with another group.

A homo in a bi-national relationship - at 49, I had to give up my career, leave behind my dying father, my family & friends and move to Europe. And I'm one of the *lucky* ones: Immigration Equality

by aggieric on Sat Oct 27, 2012 at 03:46:56 PM PDT

•  Whoa, indeed (0+ / 0-)

know-it-alls lost their cachet around here a long time ago. PvtJarHead's continuous claims that he absolutely knows what others are going to think about this editorial cartoon transcends party lines. It's overly aggressive concern and it is tiresome.

It is time to #Occupy Media.

by lunachickie on Sun Oct 28, 2012 at 07:07:05 AM PDT

• Recommended (126)
  • Community (58)
  • 2016 (50)
  • Environment (38)
  • Elections (36)
  • Media (34)
  • Republicans (32)
  • Hillary Clinton (30)
  • Law (29)
  • Jeb Bush (28)
  • Culture (27)
  • Barack Obama (26)
  • Iraq (25)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (25)
  • Civil Rights (24)
  • Climate Change (23)
  • Labor (19)
  • Economy (19)
  • LGBT (16)
  • Health Care (15)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site