View Diary: It's Native American Heritage Month & Time to Save Lives: 2012 Reservation Propane Drive (60 comments)

•  Last year we ordered two heaters (15+ / 0-)

with all the trimmings, along with a full order of propane; I had received a small inheritance from my great-aunt and spent rather a lot of it on others, somethibg I know Aunt Deedee would have approved. This year we will try to order at least one more and can definitely contribute toward propane, though not right this minute.

When Sherry delivers propane, she not only has to get there and back in freezing weather, she has to open up the valve on the propane tank in said freezing weather. I have no way of knowing if the valve on each tank is protected or if some of them are exposed to snow or ice which can cause them to ice over. I expect some are. And then there are the heaters. You know all the accessories that go with the heaters? Sherry would be the one to hook them up and make the heater fully ready to serve the family that has received it, thanks to your generosity. For free.

Thank you for writing this diary, Nimisenh. Love to you and our brother.

Organ donors save lives! A donor's kidney gave me my life back on 02/18/11; he lives on in me. Please talk with your family about your wish to donate.

Why are war casualty counts "American troops" and "others" but never "human beings"?

by Kitsap River on Thu Nov 01, 2012 at 04:17:19 PM PDT

•  Bless you, Nishime. (8+ / 0-)

And you're absolutely right.  We made a hell of a lot of extra work for Sherry, and she's the one who does all this extra stuff.  For free.

I'd also bet that you're right about those things being iced over regularly, too.  Even those that are protected.  I can't count how often we've created covers for something, only to have the wind drive an overnight storm in at some bizarre angle, and find that what we thought was covered is indeed covered - in half an inch of ice.

Authentic Native American silverwork, jewelry, photography, and other art here.

by Aji on Thu Nov 01, 2012 at 04:33:35 PM PDT

•  For future diaries, perhaps to WAYWO. If Sherry (2+ / 0-)
        weck, Aji

is able to recommend a comercially sold cover, or something that you/she think might be worth a try, maybe a Kossack with leather, or engineering experience could do a prototype to try?

After the election, & as people have time. I realize I'm very fast to suggest things other people might do. Please forgive my throwing suggestions at overwhelmed people.

My personal computer is limited, can't post without tagging on. Community computer better. Pardon tagging to comments, spelling, please.

by CuriousBoston on Fri Nov 02, 2012 at 04:44:24 AM PDT

•  Honestly, I don't know, because . . . (2+ / 0-)
          CuriousBoston, weck

I don't know whether it's easier for Sherry to have them covered, or what.  We fill ours in town and bring them back, and the large main tank is kept sheltered, for the most part.

I suppose the best thing to do would be to have the next person who talks to her ask her what would work best.

Authentic Native American silverwork, jewelry, photography, and other art here.

by Aji on Fri Nov 02, 2012 at 02:47:00 PM PDT

•  Can the damn things be at least covered with a (2+ / 0-)
            Aji, weck

birdhouse like thingie?

by CuriousBoston on Sat Nov 03, 2012 at 05:59:44 AM PDT

•  Dunno. (2+ / 0-)
              CuriousBoston, weck

My first reaction would be to say yes . . . but then, it's propane, and I don't know whether there are safety issues with covering the area near the mouth of the tank (you know, what materials are used, how close it is to the opening, etc., etc.).  It might turn out to be one of those things where the propane companies themselves prefer them uncovered for safety reasons.

As far as Sherry filling them without gloves - well, despite the shape my hands are in from my autoimmune disease, there are lots of things I have to do around here in the winter that require me to take my gloves off to do them, no matter how cold it is.  This may wind up being one of those things. [In which case, maybe the better focus is on a supply of those handwarmers that go in the palm of your glove for Sherry to thaw her hands in between deliveries.]

Authentic Native American silverwork, jewelry, photography, and other art here.

by Aji on Sat Nov 03, 2012 at 07:14:52 AM PDT

•  No gloves! Yes, maybe even battery operated (2+ / 0-)
                Aji, weck

gloves, if they will work in that weather. Nothing, but nothing seems to be easy up there. Slowly, with more durable goods being sent, donations can be switched to replacements if needed, and more cash. I would like to take one of the elders into my house for a few months if i could. If he/she wanted.

by CuriousBoston on Sat Nov 03, 2012 at 07:37:41 AM PDT

•  I think the problem is likely . . . (1+ / 0-)
                  weck

that it's just too difficult to open and connect things with gloves on.  You need the flexibility that bare fingers give you.  If that's the issue, then she's going to have to remove gloves no matter what.

Authentic Native American silverwork, jewelry, photography, and other art here.

by Aji on Sat Nov 03, 2012 at 07:59:10 AM PDT