View Diary: Morning Open Thread (45 comments)

•  Hi ex! Have a handyman question. (2+ / 0-)
    exlrrp, Aunt Pat

Yesterday I couldn't open a jar and for the umpteenth time I wished I had a gadget like one some guy made for my mom.  Didn't find that one, but I did find this:

My Homemade Jar Opener

Found the right piece of wood that would work (and didn't even have to cut it), located the "grippy" shelving liner and cut the two pieces and glued them on, predrilled the holes for the screws and ... that's when I ran into trouble.

I have arthritis in my hands and wrists and it's been much worse these last few days, so the strength is not there.

I could get the screws drilled through the piece of wood, but not into the cabinet bottom.  I'm guessing I should have held the board up there and pre-drilled a bit of the way into the cabinet?  It's hard enough to hold that heavy power drill anyway, but then to drill and screw upside down...yikes!

I have a nail gun (and compressor), but I'd have to check the nail lengths -- might be too long.

Anyway...is the wood bottom of the cabinets that hard?  I kind thought that it would be softer wood.

As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them. John F. Kennedy

by JaxDem on Thu Nov 01, 2012 at 04:30:35 AM PDT

•  That Bob dude is no dummy....... (2+ / 0-)
      JaxDem, Aunt Pat

...and neither are you if you built that gizmo. As stated in the instructions, you need to determine the thickness of the bottom shelf of your cabinet.

If the shelf is very thin, you may need to bore a hole completely through it and live with a screw head and fender washer "lump" in the bottom cabinet, looks like. An alternative would be to use construction adhesive,  and you will need to prop your opener in place for 24 hours while the adhesive dries.

If your bottom shelf is thick enough, you could, as Bob mentions, use screws just long enough to hold well, but not so long as to protrude into the shelf.

Nail gun not a good option here, IMO.....

Wish I was closer, would come over and install.

Best, HH99

Compost for a greener planet.............got piles?

by Hoghead99 on Thu Nov 01, 2012 at 05:47:54 AM PDT

•  Home phone # heading your way in..... (2+ / 0-)
        JaxDem, Aunt Pat

....Kos message.

Compost for a greener planet.............got piles?

by Hoghead99 on Thu Nov 01, 2012 at 05:50:37 AM PDT

•  Thanks, HH! (1+ / 0-)
        Aunt Pat

Yer a pal, alright!  And I know you'd scoot over and do it for me if you were in my town.  I do like the satisfaction I get from "DIY"...heh, over the years I've had guys call me for advice!  Imagine that!  In fact, I'm the first person my son and s-i-l calls when they have a question -- in reality they want me to come over and add a helping pair of hands, but I'll take that too ;-)

Most of the trouble comes from the pain (which is not a constant thing) and the weakness in my hands from the arthritis.

Yeah, I'm thinking I'd like that Bob guy too!

by JaxDem on Thu Nov 01, 2012 at 05:58:49 AM PDT

•  Darn it to heck (2+ / 0-)
      JaxDem, Hoghead99

just typed out a long answer, hit something and its gone into the ether.

So something like this
      woudn't work for you? Here's a trick you may not know--turn the jar upside down and smack the top smartly on the counter OR SOMEWHERE ELSE WHERE YOU WON"T DO DAMAGE. this breaks the seal on the jar, making it easier to open.

are your cabinets made of particle board, maybe melamine covered. If so you need to predrill into them, you'll never handscrew into them withhout in a million years.
      Can you use a C-clamp to hold the board up in place while you predrill and screw?? or maybe a kicker? (a board cut to jam in underneath and hold it in place)  This wold help a lot.

I use a power screwdriver a LOT---its actuallyy a Dewalt 18v power drill/screwdriver. this would make this go like a breeze
      PS---those who won't ask for help are the real chickens

Happy just to be alive

by exlrrp on Thu Nov 01, 2012 at 05:54:43 AM PDT

•  Also Use sharp pointed sheet rock screws (3+ / 0-)
        JaxDem, Hoghead99, Aunt Pat

A thick screw would be harder

Happy just to be alive

by exlrrp on Thu Nov 01, 2012 at 05:57:39 AM PDT

•  Thanks, ex! (1+ / 0-)
        Aunt Pat

I do have one long c clamp that will do nicely!  Don't know why I didn't think of that.

I do have a powerdrill/screwdriver.  Thing is heavy - hence my frustration because of the weakness in my hands and wrists from the arthritis.  No way I could hand screw stuff.

The underside of the cabinet is melamine covered particleboard.  I thought that would be a softer material, but I guess I thought wrong.

I was just telling HH in a kosmail that I think I will pre-drill into the cabinet bottom and then tomorrow night, when my son is over for Friday night dinner, I'll get him to do the rest.

I'm going to look for another picture online and ask a question about that too -- hope I can find it.

Sure is good to have you and HH for expert answers when I'm doing my DIY Harriet Homeowner stuff ;-)

by JaxDem on Thu Nov 01, 2012 at 06:18:38 AM PDT

•  Here's the Picture and the question (2+ / 0-)
        Aunt Pat, exlrrp

for you and/or HH

This is the Solid wood under cabinet jar opener that a man had made for my mom years ago.

I found Bob's solution to be much easier and would accommodate a much larger jar too so I went with that.

Anyway, at the risk of sounding dumb, is that two pieces glued together?  I mean I can see how  you can cut the "V", but I don't get how to cut out a "V" partway and leave the smooth wood surface beneath.

I pondered that for a few hours yesterday and decided that they had to have glued the two pieces together.

What say you experts?

by JaxDem on Thu Nov 01, 2012 at 06:27:55 AM PDT

•  At least 2 pieces, you can tell by the grain (1+ / 0-)
          JaxDem

But you could have made it out of one with care, even in Oak

Happy just to be alive

by exlrrp on Thu Nov 01, 2012 at 07:19:18 AM PDT

•  How? (0+ / 0-)

by JaxDem on Thu Nov 01, 2012 at 07:46:05 AM PDT

•  . (0+ / 0-)

the piece the vee is cut out of is darker and the grainlines don' match up with the central piece

Happy just to be alive

by exlrrp on Thu Nov 01, 2012 at 08:18:24 AM PDT

•  Can't tell for sure, but.... (0+ / 0-)

On the one side view, it looks like pieces of wood laminated together. I would guess one of these layers is plywood for stability and length. The grain on the front side does not match up with the grain on th other side so this is definitely pieced, with more than 2 pieces.

Happy just to be alive

by exlrrp on Thu Nov 01, 2012 at 08:24:35 AM PDT

•  No, I mean how could you have made (0+ / 0-)

that out of one piece of wood?

The only way I could figure would be to make the "V" cut (however deep as needed), then use a chisel to get the piece out and I can't see it leaving the wood that clean and smooth.

by JaxDem on Thu Nov 01, 2012 at 08:34:14 AM PDT

•  Machinery (0+ / 0-)

Heck you could make it out of metal wih a milling machine ad get it to mirror finish. About the same with wood.
                  You'd be amazed what theyre doing with lasers nowadays

Happy just to be alive