View Diary: Steve King warns hurricane victims might just spend the money we give them on 'Gucci bags' (124 comments)

•  Iowa (6+ / 0-)

So that's what Iowans think of when they think of the luxuries enjoyed by privileged East Coasters: Gucci bags and massage parlors!

"I'll believe that corporations are people when I see Rick Perry execute one."

by bink on Wed Oct 31, 2012 at 04:37:44 PM PDT

•  Nah. This is what haters think of (11+ / 0-)

educated, or stylish, or gay, or attractive, or west/east/urban or whatever people.

It really doesn't reflect so much on Iowa. It reflects on Steve King.

© grover

by grover on Wed Oct 31, 2012 at 04:41:41 PM PDT

•  I Can Just Imagine FEMA Showing Up (2+ / 0-)
        grover, high uintas

At an apartment building where four terrified families in Hoboken have been holed up for two days with small children, handing them each a Gucci bag and wishing them a good day.

"I'll believe that corporations are people when I see Rick Perry execute one."

by bink on Wed Oct 31, 2012 at 04:43:33 PM PDT

•  I must have missed something (0+ / 0-)

Didn't the people of Iowa elect him to public office?

At the very least it reflects on the people in his district. Presumably they felt he "shared their values".

•  I think that's a big jump (4+ / 0-)
          Dogs are fuzzy, eps62, high uintas, MaikeH

I've moved to an area where the congressman is a thoroughly nasty human being.

Everyone that I've met here is incredibly nice.  They buy into campaign rhetoric about his supporting small business and keeping taxes down. When I talk to my fellow citizens (as I volunteer my time for the challenger), many of them don't realize all of the heinous things the incumbent has done and said.

Most people share "values" about taxes and supporting business and that sort of stuff.

They don't expect their congressman to kick storm victims in the teeth.

© grover

by grover on Wed Oct 31, 2012 at 04:57:06 PM PDT

•  Maybe they do know... (1+ / 0-)
            NorthCountryNY

but just don't care as long as they get their tax cut.

Over the years I've learned that "polite" does not always equal "nice".

•  Nah. I just moved from somewhere that people (0+ / 0-)

are all very "polite." It's well known as a polite place. And colder than anything.

Here, at least, people are genuine, friendly, open and nice.

I get the difference.

I can't opine about the folks in Iowa, because I've never lived there and it's one of the few places that I've never worked. But I'm not going to disparage an entire state because one politician is a jerk.

© grover

by grover on Wed Oct 31, 2012 at 05:32:19 PM PDT

•  Right (1+ / 0-)
              417els

It's like the old joke: Two women, childhood friends, meet after not seeing each other for years. The first woman goes on and on about how much money her husband has, and all the houses they own, and all the jewels and clothes he's bought her. After each point, the second woman just smiles and says, "That's nice!"

Finally the first woman says, "Well, come on! Tell me what your husband's done for you!"

"Well," the second woman says, "he sent me to Finishing School."

Confused, the first woman asks, "What's so great about that?"

The second woman smiles again. "Because now I say 'That's nice' instead of 'Fuck you.'"

"If you're going to go down with the ship, make it a submarine." - Wayne Shorter

by Oliver Tiger on Wed Oct 31, 2012 at 05:42:52 PM PDT

•  Tribalism (0+ / 0-)

Definition:   Tribalism is a way of thinking or behaving in which people are more loyal to their tribe than to their friends, their country, or any other social group.

In practice, the GOP Base simply trusts the people that yack loud enough and get elected by the Republican Party Machine.

They don't fact-check, they don't follow the news, and when the Sociopath they elected tells them "everything's fine, my opponent is lying", they make up excuses for his misconduct.