View Diary: Forecast the Facts shows what a joke Romney is on climate change. But what about us? (104 comments)

•  AoT absolutely is willing to do that. (0+ / 0-)
    then you can complain about those of us that want the US to do something now.
    If you read my post again, you'll see that I specifically referred to those who wish to act without regard for the damage done and without regard for whether those actions -- and the damaging consequences -- actually do any good.

In short, peopel willing to throw others under the bus in order to make themselves feel good.

Or -- more accurately -- those who have managed to put themselves in a position to avoid the consequences and so pursue  their priorities on the misery of others.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Thu Nov 01, 2012 at 03:40:05 AM PDT

•  Not acting is what's causing the damage (0+ / 0-)

And all the neoliberal nonsense in the world won't change that.

Accusing me of not caring because I want to fix a problem now because it keeps getting worse the more we delay is absolute bullshit.

The revolution will not be televised. But it will be blogged, a lot. Probably more so than is necessary.

by AoT on Thu Nov 01, 2012 at 07:20:27 AM PDT

•  Well, acting badly is what's causing the damage (1+ / 0-)
        AoT

Acting stupidly can also cause a lot of damage.

As to not caring, it's possible that you didn't read my post carefully.  Lord knows, I've done that enough times and posted replies that looked pretty stupid/bad/disconnected on re-reading.

I agree that we need to act and act now.  We need to do things that go beyond "look at me, I drive a Prius" and actually make a difference.  Truthfully, we need to stop using fossil fuels -- NOW! -- and figure out how we're going to survive the damage we've already done, because its effects are going to be felt for at least another hundred years.

But...

We need to act to make things better, not worse.

Destroying the US economy while making China richer is not making things better and, from the humble viewpoint of one whose family depends on a functioning US economy for its survival, makes things worse.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Thu Nov 01, 2012 at 07:49:14 AM PDT

•  I think we're actually on the same page (1+ / 0-)
          dinotrac
          I don't disagree with anything you're saying.  We need to build a manufacturing sector that builds the stuff we need, hopefully one that is more distributed than manufacturing has been previously.  We need to get cars out of cities and build transit and other solutions instead.  I still think that part of the auto bailout should have been retooling some of the plants to build transit solutions, bikes, trains, light rail, buses, etc.  It wouldn't have happened immediately but it would have been a good start for the future.

by AoT on Thu Nov 01, 2012 at 09:01:51 AM PDT

•  An opportunity, too -- (1+ / 0-)
            AoT

Just like the Japanese after WWII ---

They kicked our butts in the Steel industry because they re-built with the Basic Oxygen Process while US steel-makers were using Open Hearth.

The US has lost so much manufacturing capacity, that much of any build-up can be considered green-field.  What a great opportunity to develop and implement sustainable manufacturing and do to the world what the Japanese did to us.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Thu Nov 01, 2012 at 11:18:52 AM PDT

•  AoT...People were asking about... (0+ / 0-)

you yesterday over at New Day, wondering how you fared through the storm.  Just mentioning.

"Truth and love will overcome lies and hatred.” Vaclav Havel

by dharmasyd on Thu Nov 01, 2012 at 11:38:04 AM PDT

•  I'm in California, so no storm for me (1+ / 0-)
          dharmasyd

Thankfully.

All my friends made it as well.

by AoT on Thu Nov 01, 2012 at 01:35:12 PM PDT