View Diary: Write On! Minimalist edition (83 comments)

•  What Mnemosyne said! (11+ / 0-)

Seriously.  Do not breathe that crap in.  There are cheap filter masks at most hardware stores that should do the job.  Also put up plastic tarps to keep the dust and mold spores out of the rest of the house.

We don't mean to be bossy.  Honest.  Wear a mask!

Tell me what to write. tellmewhattowrite.com 'To know what is right and to do it are two different things.' - Chushingura, a tale of The Forty-Seven Ronin

by rbird on Thu Nov 01, 2012 at 06:37:38 PM PDT

•  I've got these little paperesque masks (7+ / 0-)

The kind that are 10 for a a dollar and go on with a rubber band? Are those good enough, or do I need one of those big honking WWI things?

-9.0, -8.3 "Remember, a writer writes. Always." --Throw Momma from the Train

by SensibleShoes on Thu Nov 01, 2012 at 06:58:36 PM PDT

•  I have a Darth Vader mask (9+ / 0-)

for painting with toxic stuff. It has charcoal cannisters on each side. Cost about $25 at the hardware store a couple of years ago.

Do some googling about black mold, see what sorts of recommends are out there on using those flimsy masks. They may be OK, but best to do some research. You're good at that.

But do not breathe in mold. And rbird is right, shield the rest of the house. Work with adequate ventilation, windows open if you can. That stuff is nothing to muck about with.

"There are no Americans at the airport!" -- Baghdad Bob
        "I’ve got a very effective campaign." -- Mitt Romney

by Mnemosyne on Thu Nov 01, 2012 at 07:03:05 PM PDT

•  They'll get the job done. (8+ / 0-)

I went through a case of them during Katrina cleanup, and we were dealing with molds of every imaginable color.  It's probably safer to use the more high-end equipment, but unless you're a health risk - you get sick easily, or you have immune problems - I think the paper masks will serve you just fine.

Saint, n. A dead sinner revised and edited. - Ambrose Bierce

by pico on Thu Nov 01, 2012 at 07:13:03 PM PDT

•  Ah. Okay. (6+ / 0-)

Anything else I should know before I attack? I'm taking note of all the veteran advice...

-9.0, -8.3 "Remember, a writer writes. Always." --Throw Momma from the Train

by SensibleShoes on Thu Nov 01, 2012 at 07:29:42 PM PDT

•  Eye protection (7+ / 0-)

This isn't about mold, but all the dust and chunks of dry wall, maybe old nails thrown up by the wall-bashing.  The last time I bought a pair of cheap plastic eye protectors, they only cost a few dollars.  Just like the masks, there are high-end versions as well.

Oh, and a sturdy pair of gloves.

Back when I did this on a regular basis, I had a pair of steel-toed boots, but since this is - hopefully - a one-time thing, I don't think you'll need them. Regular work boots should do nicely.  Some of the guys I worked with back in the day wore athletic shoes.  That, I'd take under advisement.  I'm fond of my toes.

Don't know if you want to pull out the old nails or not, rather than hammering them in.  Pulling them out does make installation easier.  A crowbar's good for this, though sometimes a nail-puller might come in handy.  Me, I'd just go with the crowbar and a claw hammer.  When putting in dry wall, I liked to use screws and a powerdriver rather than nails, but that's just me.

Taping and mud.  Try not to put on too much mud, just makes for more sanding later.

That is the sum-total of my knowledge about this matter.  If you already knew all this....then never mind.

Best of luck!!

by rbird on Thu Nov 01, 2012 at 08:00:11 PM PDT

•  Seconding rbird: (7+ / 0-)

eye protection and gloves are essential.  Luckily it's late in the year, otherwise I'd have a few more recommendations about overheating - seriously, those masks get stuffy - but you should be fine.

Especially since the damage is relatively recent.  After Katrina, we were working on entire structures that had molded over for months before we got access to the neighborhood.  Some were still sitting in a foot of muddy sludge, a mix of rainwater, river water, and raw sewage.  I do not recommend that kind of experience for anyone, ever.

Good luck!

Saint, n. A dead sinner revised and edited. - Ambrose Bierce

by pico on Thu Nov 01, 2012 at 08:14:30 PM PDT

•  Good heavens. (2+ / 0-)
              a gilas girl, rbird

That sounds dreadful.

See, this is all the more reason for you to write fiction. You can use stuff like that.

Guess I'm off to the hardware store. (Another convenience of not being in Katrina.)

-9.0, -8.3 "Remember, a writer writes. Always." --Throw Momma from the Train