View Diary: Incest is not rare, Mr. Koster. I know it is quite common. Update: Donate to Koster's Opponent (142 comments)

•  I'll guarantee you know more survivors (28+ / 0-)

than you realize.  They just haven't spoken about it.  Everyone who knows me IRL knows a survivor, but only my closest friend knows it.  I haven't even told my husband.

The Girl Who Loved Stories
    I’m a feminist because the message is still "don’t get raped" not "don’t rape"

by Avilyn on Thu Nov 01, 2012 at 07:33:53 AM PDT

•  I absolutely believe (6+ / 0-)

I know more people who have been abused than I am aware.  But i think the closer you get to the 45% and 30% figures the more things would be openly known.  That equates to 40% of the population.  I would think at that rate the issue would be more known.  But frankly, that doesn't really matter.  IF only 1% of the population were subject to sexual abuse that makes it a non-rare enough event for me.

"You have attributed conditions to villainy that simply result from stupidity"

by newfie on Thu Nov 01, 2012 at 07:50:56 AM PDT

•  They want to SAY it's rare (16+ / 0-)

Because that somehow (in their mind) justifies them denying it in abortions.

I mean, if it almost never happens, it's not much to worry about.

Twisting the facts again for their own evangelical, right wing agenda.

•  way more than 1%...at least 10x (1+ / 0-)
        kurt

I know that even anecdotally from my own life experience with circles and groups of women friends family

I bet if we asked women the percentage they'd think it's much higher than what men think.

women tend to share intimately with other women.

•  Can you take a moment to (0+ / 0-)

read what I write before you react?  I'm not putting any figure on it.  None.  That is my point.  It does not change anything IF incest is rare  or IF a person believes it is rare.  A person should be able to make a decision to have a legal procedure performed especially if the source of the pregnancy is incest or rape.  I really don't care how frequent or infrequent it is.  I've purposefully not attaching a guess to the figure.

But even then you seem not to realize that you agree with my premise - that the figure does not likely rise to 4-50% of the population.  Your guess is 10 to 20 (or so) percent.  I think that is a reasonable guess.  I think that you can have a common experience for 25 or 30% of people and still have enough feeling of stigma to have that experience suppressed.

"You have attributed conditions to villainy that simply result from stupidity"

by newfie on Thu Nov 01, 2012 at 09:59:30 AM PDT

•  You might want to take a minute and reread (1+ / 0-)
            jplanner

what you wrote and realize you didn't do a very good job making your point.

by gustynpip on Thu Nov 01, 2012 at 11:50:49 AM PDT

•  Not so sure. (0+ / 0-)

If my point is that it doesn't matter (in my opinion) whether the rate of sexual abuse is high or low then I think this statement kind of makes that point.

But frankly, that doesn't really matter. IF only 1% of the population were subject to sexual abuse that makes it a non-rare enough event for me.

"You have attributed conditions to villainy that simply result from stupidity"

by newfie on Thu Nov 01, 2012 at 12:28:11 PM PDT

•  Judging by the number of readers who were (1+ / 0-)
                jplanner

offended by your post and reached the conclusion that you were defending the use of the term "rare" to describe it, I'd say you failed.  Not that it really matters a whole lot, but when you start taking umbrage that someone didn't understand what you meant, you should always first consider that perhaps it's because you didn't make yourself clear.  Responsibility for being understood is on the writer, not on the reader.

by gustynpip on Thu Nov 01, 2012 at 12:32:45 PM PDT

•  what I said doesn't detract or (1+ / 0-)
            newfie

argue against what you say

it's just so much more than 1% why mention that number?

if i HEAR it's 10% surely it's possible that there is much more...
            I KNOW OF around 10% and it's such a personal subject it wouldn't be strange if in a group of women several more were silent but also were incest victims

no matter didn't mean to offend.

•  I mention it because (0+ / 0-)

my point is even if the number is much smaller it is irrelevant.  So for Koster to dismiss responding to allowing abortion in the case of incest because it is "rare" is nonsensical.  Particularly when he is very likely a great supporter of things like voter ID which combats non-existent issues.

I wasn't offended but thought you might be so I was asking you to take a moment to read so that you might better understand my point.  I think we are coming from basically the same place on the issue.

"You have attributed conditions to villainy that simply result from stupidity"

by newfie on Fri Nov 02, 2012 at 05:11:53 AM PDT

•  In my lifetime of 72 years (4+ / 0-)

I recall, when I was growing, many instances of incest abuse among girls I knew – in the 50's it wasn't a crime that was pursued (it's a family problem they need to work it out).  On top of that, any adolescent girl making accusations of incest would face the possibility of being stigmatized and demonized – only the brave few would risk that possibility.
      A colleague and very close friend of mine was anally raped by her father for 4 years (from 8 to 12 years old) but the only 4 people that know about it are her husband, my wife, me and a therapist she went to several years ago.

Photobucket

KOSTER IN A RESEARCH SESSION

"If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them. Isaac Asimov (8.25 / -5.64}

by carver on Thu Nov 01, 2012 at 12:18:30 PM PDT