View Diary: 22 consecutive political ads during half-hour Columbus, Ohio, newscast (107 comments)

•  I live in Cincinnati and I don't even hear the ads (5+ / 0-)
    Ohiodem1, ColoTim, llywrch, mungley, schnecke21

anymore. I have tuned them all out. I cannot believe that I am alone in this. But I do think that the local 6:00 news is watched by older people who are probably persuadable by TV ads.

I wonder how other advertisers feel about this. I am tuning out all the ads even to the point of muting the TV during breaks. This has to hurt their ROI a lot.

•  This assumes that older people like myself (5+ / 0-)

can be swayed by loads of bullshit.  It ain't happening.

Republicans are like alligators. All mouth and no ears.

by Ohiodem1 on Thu Nov 01, 2012 at 02:28:53 PM PDT

•  I bet those in Ohio can't wait till Nov. 7th (4+ / 0-)
        Ohiodem1, joegee, mungley, Kurt from CMH

I would not be able to watch TV if I lived in OH.  With the amount of polling done in the state I bet just about everyone has been polled by now too :)

I would go crazy with ads on tv, ads on the radio, push polls in my phone, pollster on my phone, talylored advertising on the internet, billboard ads on the road and 900 lbs of junk mailers in my box.

I feel for you Ohio.

"Dear Mr. President, there are too many states nowadays. Please eliminate three. I am not a crackpot." - Grandpa Simpson

by ourhispanicvoices on Thu Nov 01, 2012 at 02:33:31 PM PDT

•  I dumped cable and dish (4+ / 0-)

I just watch netflix and amazon now. I don't really miss it, either.

However, with this much money going into local TV stations,  next year's Cable Access channels better start running Game of Thrones ahead of schedule.

How does the Republican Congress sit down with all the butthurt over taxing the wealthy?

by athenap on Thu Nov 01, 2012 at 02:37:45 PM PDT

•  Dumped Dish 12 Months Ago.... (0+ / 0-)

And haven't looked back yet.

Netflix online works just fine... and when the Big Bang Theory bug hits, we just buy the most recent season and finish it off within a couple of days.

Hulu+ might be worthwhile too, been thinking about it.

•  AS far as I can tell (0+ / 0-)

Hulu+ means you just pay to get their commercials on your tv. Unless something changed, whatever's on Hulu can be watched on the computer, free, if the ads don't go away with the sub.

by athenap on Thu Nov 01, 2012 at 08:41:04 PM PDT

•  Saw my first political ads this week (1+ / 0-)
          Ohiodem1

I'm on the west coast and seldom watch network television.  Monday night, I tuned in and got hit with a negative ad against Obama and more (also deceptive) against ballot propositions.  It sickened me and made me wonder how anyone in a battleground state has managed to stay sane during this long, long, vicious campaign season.

With estimates of as much as $2 Billion (that's Billion with a B)  total spent, some of the pros must be bewailing the law of diminishing returns.  Yet they dare not stop...

To stand in silence when they should be protesting makes cowards out of men. -Abraham Lincoln

by Eyesbright on Thu Nov 01, 2012 at 02:51:38 PM PDT

•  We ignore most of it. Sometimes we laugh at it. (2+ / 0-)
            Eyesbright, Kurt from CMH

Sometimes we donate to the campaign of those being attacked.  But mostly we ignore it, and hope that the dark money folks lose every penny they "invested" in pathetic candidates who don't have an idea of their own and can only attack as a means to garner votes.

Republicans are like alligators. All mouth and no ears.

by Ohiodem1 on Thu Nov 01, 2012 at 03:06:05 PM PDT

•  On my 2 block walk to the grocery store (1+ / 0-)
          Ohiodem1

I have to pass the house of a gay couple who have a 4 x 6 Rmoney sign (with spot lights), along with smaller signs for Rmoney and Mandel.  They supported the union busting issue last spring also.  I don't know whether they are ignorant, bigots, or both.

•  You have no idea (0+ / 0-)

I'm so tired of being inundated on every radio station, every television station, every webpage on the Internet.  Ads, everywhere.  And I like politics, it's fascinating to me, and I'm very involved, and I'm so sick and tired of it.  But for me it may have to do with the fact that I knew five years ago who I was going to vote for in this election (on the condition that the D president won back in 2009).

I don't care for Ohio all that much, even though I grew up here.  I went to school in Dallas, Texas and love it there.  Although admittedly, my vote feels a bit more important in Ohio than it would in Texas.

•  Sorry about that. I should know better. (2+ / 0-)
        Eyesbright, Ohiodem1

But if you are posting here, then you are not the target audience of political ads. Neither am I. I have never been an undecided voter in my life.

•  Indeed, Ohiodem1. (1+ / 0-)
        Ohiodem1

It's my opinion that older people are more apt to recognize bullshit when they hear, see, or smell it.  They certainly haven't fooled my 89 year old mother.

Live so that when your children think of fairness, caring and integrity, they think of you. H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

by Ellen Columbo on Thu Nov 01, 2012 at 02:39:32 PM PDT

•  Your Mom is from my Mom's generation. As (2+ / 0-)
          Ellen Columbo, Silvia Nightshade

long as we have our faculties, and we aren't locked up by the fear the Republicans keep selling to us, our BS detectors work quite well.

I have long held the position that if we renounce fear, the Republicans will lose each and every time.  They have nothing positive to sell.

Republicans are like alligators. All mouth and no ears.

by Ohiodem1 on Thu Nov 01, 2012 at 02:45:10 PM PDT

•  Fear doesn't take root easily (1+ / 0-)
            Ohiodem1

in my family.  My Mom lived through the Great Depression, WWII, being widowed at 34 with 3 school age kids still at home, worked most of her life at minimum wage for J J Newberry Company, and still managed to raise 4 kids total, none of whom have ever been arrested.  She has most assuredly fine tuned her BS detector along the way.

by Ellen Columbo on Thu Nov 01, 2012 at 03:36:25 PM PDT

•  I'm in Cincy, too (1+ / 0-)
      llywrch

I haven't watched local network television for months. Of course, I now watch so much MeTV that I've become an aficionado of Petticoat Junction, Beverly Hillbillies, and That Girl...No political ads on that channel. Of course, you have to stomach crap about reverse mortgages, bladder catheters, and skin tag remover.

Just another day in Oceania.

by drshatterhand on Thu Nov 01, 2012 at 02:48:41 PM PDT

•  There are Kossacks in Cincy? (1+ / 0-)
      Catte Nappe

I thought I was alone.

Early to rise and early to bed Makes a man healthy, wealthy, and dead. --Not Benjamin Franklin

by Boundegar on Thu Nov 01, 2012 at 02:53:25 PM PDT