View Diary: Chris Christie: Mitt hasn't called me since Sandy hit (146 comments)

•  Did I ever tell you my Hawaii tsunami story ? (4+ / 0-)

Where are you these days anyway ?
    Without even knowing , I am green with envy .
    Old man shakes fist in direction of pacific ocean .
    Get off my dreams !!!

"Drop the name-calling." Meteor Blades 2/4/11

by indycam on Fri Nov 02, 2012 at 08:07:30 PM PDT

•  We are currently in Honiara on the island... (5+ / 0-)
      ms badger, indycam, sethtriggs, PinHole, 417els

of Guadalcanal in the Solomon Islands. We lost a lower aft shroud on the mast a few weeks ago and we're sitting here waiting for a replacement to come. It's all rod rigging on Reflections so I can't make any "in the field" repairs. We figure something must have been wrong when they mushroomed the head of the rod. It let go in flat seas in 12 to 15kts of wind. At night of course!!! Always makes it more interesting!

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

by reflectionsv37 on Fri Nov 02, 2012 at 08:22:24 PM PDT

•  Rod ? (1+ / 0-)
        reflectionsv37

Are you a race boat ?

Have you seen the rope stays ? Non metal rope stays .

Do you not have "old school" replacement cable on board ?

"Drop the name-calling." Meteor Blades 2/4/11

by indycam on Fri Nov 02, 2012 at 08:33:46 PM PDT

•  All Valiants were built using... (1+ / 0-)
          PinHole

rod rigging. The problem with using any conventional rigging or the high tech line replacements, is the fittings that secure it to a pipe that runs through a tube in the mast. Those fittings need to put on the rod before the rod is mushroomed on the end and there really isn't anyway to secure conventional rigging to them.

But, you have just given me a great idea. I think I'll get machine shop to fabricate a stainless cap that can be threaded on the pipe as a replacement, that would allow me to connect a piece of high tech line or a turnbuckle to it. Once I have that piece on board, I'll never have to worry about another failure!

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

by reflectionsv37 on Fri Nov 02, 2012 at 08:53:54 PM PDT

•  I can't visualize (1+ / 0-)
            reflectionsv37

so I can't say bravo or bullshit .

One off mechanical parts sans testing scare me .

"Drop the name-calling." Meteor Blades 2/4/11

by indycam on Fri Nov 02, 2012 at 09:03:41 PM PDT

•  We re-rigged in Hawaii before we left (1+ / 0-)
              indycam

The old rigging had been on the boat for 30+ years. I share you feelings on one off parts and "new" rigging!! Did you get the Dkos mail I sent?

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

by reflectionsv37 on Fri Nov 02, 2012 at 09:10:57 PM PDT

•  Yes I got it / read it . (1+ / 0-)
                reflectionsv37

He knows it needs fixing / he has the parts on board
                but he does not fix it ?

I was working on an 80 foot maxi ,
                the Hawaiian UH girls volleyball team had just gotten aboard
                the captain had backed out of the slip
                put it into forward gear and lost all drive
                he asked me to go below and find out what happened
                I found that the four bolts connecting the drive shaft the the prop shaft had come from togetherness .
                I went up and told him if he hoisted the sails and sailed us out of the harbor , it was no big deal , when he shut off the motor I could redo the bolts .
                He decided to hoist the sails and tack back and forth in the harbor and then aim , under sail , at the slip .
                We got tied up and the team jumped off to be never seen again .
                The next morning I went down and redid the bolts .
                When the captain found out that I had already done the bolts he was unhappy , he had "invited" the whole crew to learn how to replace the bolts .
                My getting them done at the first possible opportunity so that the boat was "ready to go" was a problem for him .

"Drop the name-calling." Meteor Blades 2/4/11