View Diary: The Fiasco called Voting in Florida -- illustrates why ALL Americans should have Vote-by-Mail (43 comments)

•  in Oregon (5+ / 0-)

you still have that option

you can hand-deliver your complete ballot yourself

to the Board of Elections.

(I did it once myself when I first moved here.)

PS.  with 10-page ballots,

we need more than just more hours,

imo

I had a 2 page ballot, it took me nearly an hour, to study the issues, and then Vote.

at my desk, with Google at the ready.

Are you ready to Vote? Are you still 'allowed' to Vote?
    -- Are you sure?

by jamess on Sat Nov 03, 2012 at 09:27:41 AM PDT

•  Exactly. Same deal in California (4+ / 0-)
      jamess, FloridaSNMOM, VClib, Eric Nelson

I have been a "permanent vote-by-mail voter" in California for many years.

Vote By Mail

Any registered voter may vote using a vote-by-mail ballot instead of going to the polls on Election Day. California law also allows any registered voter to become a permanent vote-by-mail voter. To request a vote-by-mail ballot for one election or to become a permanent vote-by-mail voter, follow the simple process described below.

You receive your ballot in the mail, and you can vote your ballot by return mail (but it must be received on or before election day to be counted).  You can also hand-deliver your ballot at any time to the local elections office at any time up until the time the polls close on Election Day, and ballots should be returned by hand-delivery if there is any doubt whether the mail would get the ballot there on or before Election Day.

The system works very well.  IMO there ought to be a concerted effort to get more people to use it.  (Probably, though, the state Dem party doesn't make that a high priority because it's already a strongly-Dem state.)

Please help to fight hunger with a donation to Feeding America.

by MJB on Sat Nov 03, 2012 at 09:48:49 AM PDT

•  thanks MJB (2+ / 0-)
        Eric Nelson, MJB

I didn't know that CA has gotten with the Program

very good to heard that it works there as well.

Obviously Vote-by-Mail is very "scalable" then, if it can handle a population like California.

Good to know.

thanks MJB for the info and link.

Are you ready to Vote? Are you still 'allowed' to Vote?
        -- Are you sure?

by jamess on Sat Nov 03, 2012 at 10:06:42 AM PDT

•  Me too. (3+ / 0-)
        jamess, Eric Nelson, MJB

Of course, I was an Oregon voter from the time vote-by-mail was first instituted, and cast my last in-person ballot on election day the last election before vote-by-mail started. When I moved to California 3 years ago, I registered permanent absentee.

It took me about 45 minutes to vote this round - but that was in addition to over an hour spent researching the ballot initiatives.

I think part of the problem that Scott and others have is their fear of an informed electorate. If you have donors dumping bazillions into ads, that may be the only "education" that voters get, and then they feel pressured to get in and out of the booth so others behind them can vote. I had as much time as I wanted to read, research, call folks ... an electorate that thinks, rather than just responds to ads, is a scary thing for Republicans.

"I like to go into Marshall Field's in Chicago just to see all the things there are in the world that I do not want." M. Madeleva, C.S.C.

by paxpdx on Sat Nov 03, 2012 at 10:29:26 AM PDT

•  jamess - WE AGREE!!!!!!!!!!! (3+ / 0-)
      jamess, gulfgal98, Eric Nelson

Oregon has shown us the way. Let's have everyone vote by mail. I have been a mail-in voter in California for as long as it has been available. I think it has been about 20 years since I went to the polls and I have voted in every district, city, county, state and federal election. Every ballot has a bar code and a number and you can go on line and see when your vote was counted.

Standing in line to vote makes no sense.

"let's talk about that"

by VClib on Sat Nov 03, 2012 at 10:26:41 AM PDT

•  finally (2+ / 0-)
        Eric Nelson, VClib

I knew there was a "sliver of common ground" out there somewhere.

Lol.

Thanks for the positive feedback VCLib.

it's kind of why I spend hours researching and posting and commenting.

A chore, we all have equal opportunity to pursue, here at dkos,
        to articulate our own unique viewpoints.

tactful and polite sentiments are usually welcome guests
        in my "living room"  (ie. my posts)
        as markos put it a while back.

Are you ready to Vote? Are you still 'allowed' to Vote?
        -- Are you sure?

• Hillary Clinton (18)
  • Education (18)
  • Media (16)
  • Racism (16)
  • Politics (16)
  • Barack Obama (16)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site