View Diary: He stomped his foot in anger at my taking charge (30 comments)

•  I was in the Army in 1982 (12+ / 0-)

I was a 91Bravo10, also known as a combat medic.  When I went to Fort Sam Houston Texas for training I was part of a platoon of women where the balance of the company was comprised of men (read extremely outnumbered).  We were told our first week there that we would be the last cycle of women because a combat medic was considered to be a front line classification and women could not serve on the front line.  That was just the beginning of the ordeal.  I could list dozens of situations and anecdotes, but the following was probably among the top three (it is hard to pick because they are all so funny and sad)

Our second week they showed us a film.  It was called "Combat Medic" and was a documentary shot during the Viet Nam war.  We were warned by the instructor that the images would be extremely disturbing and graphic.

The guys all snickered and turned to the girls (the class was approximately 50/50) saying, "Don't any of you girls faint or nothing."  There was general hilarity based around the idea that some female soldier was going to faint.

The film was pretty gruesome.  They showed a shrapnel wound to the face that peeled the skin and muscle back, exposing the teeth all the way back to the ear.  They showed the doctors stitching the young man up and what it looked like after healing.  They showed a sucking chest wound and paradoxical breathing.  They showed a traumatic amputation of the leg (stepped on a land mine) it was gruesome, like curtains of flesh just dangling from the mid-thigh.  They showed the doctor deciding where to take off excess flesh before suturing.

At that point the guy next to me fainted dead away and slid down his chair to the floor.  Poor guy, he was the only one to faint and I am sure the guys gave him a rough time of it later, but us women had to say something about the fact that the only one to faint was not a woman.  (It almost never was.  I have found that men faint a lot easier than women)

In short, while in training I found it necessary to do everything the men did, do it better, faster and with less complaining and I was still told repeatedly that they were just wasting their time training a woman for a man's job...and this was in the 80s.

"I watch Fox News for my comedy, and Comedy Central for my news." - Facebook Group

by Sychotic1 on Sun Nov 04, 2012 at 08:35:29 AM PST

•  Ha, ha (7+ / 0-)
      (It almost never was.  I have found that men faint a lot easier than women)
      Men do not deal with blood, sometimes LOTS of it (and sometimes featuring CLOTS as a bonus) every month.

Men do not go through labor and childbirth.  Very messy, very painful, but most women think the results are worth the experience.

Women are by far the stronger sex in that regard.

"Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich."--Napoleon

by Diana in NoVa on Sun Nov 04, 2012 at 08:59:36 AM PST

•  When I was being cycled into basic training (6+ / 0-)

at Fort Jackson, they give you a series of shots.  One injection, two air gun injections and a multi-needle jab for smallpox.  I was in the last 6 of the 240 women in a huge gymnasium area getting the shots.  When the second specialist hit me with the airgun, they apparently were still moving when it went off and those bad boys will CUT you.  I was bleeding all down my arm and it was dripping from a  couple of my fingertips.

A minute later a company of men started filing in behind us.  By the time I got out the door, our company of women had one fainter and I saw five different men faint.  At least two of them from seeing my arm as they were getting their injections.

:D

by Sychotic1 on Sun Nov 04, 2012 at 09:13:12 AM PST

•  Not this one -- if it ain't me bleeding, (0+ / 0-)

I can't tell whether it's too bad to fix or whether there's plenty left where it's coming from.

Also, I have real trouble with trying not to hurt somebody else. It's hard to know what the tolerance is if I'm not the one feeling it.

by BlackSheep1 on Sun Nov 04, 2012 at 05:53:36 PM PST

•  air guns for vax @ Lackland AFB circa '77 (0+ / 0-)

would also leave you bloody.
          What bothered me was the pigeon-egg-sized knot on my arm the next two days, since I still had to get thru PT.

by BlackSheep1 on Mon Nov 05, 2012 at 10:09:47 AM PST

•  Women see blood on a regular basis (3+ / 0-)
      Sychotic1, ladybug53, Thestral

During their fertile years, so they get used to it. Men don't seem to realize that for some odd reason. By the time a girl becomes a woman, she's had years of seeing  blood every month. It just becomes an annoyance.

Men, on the other hand, only see blood when there's an injury or other problem, so are not accustomed to it. I have seen far more men that have a reaction at the sight of blood than women.

Women create the entire labor force. Sympathy is the strongest instinct in human nature. - Charles Darwin

by splashy on Sun Nov 04, 2012 at 11:18:43 AM PST

• Spam (21)
  • Climate Change (21)
  • GOP (20)
  • Education (20)
  • Labor (20)
  • Civil Rights (20)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (18)
  • Economy (17)
  • Law (17)
  • Barack Obama (17)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site