View Diary: Cheers and Jeers: Monday (211 comments)

•  Radio, too, Nonny. If I'm not listening to NPR, I (10+ / 0-)

almost always end up listening to my iPod. I love one of our local morning shows, but the commercial breaks are too frequent and too long.
    Of course, we're not of the short-attention-span generation. So dicing up the shows bothers us more.

One of the things I learned when I was a radio dj, one of the most stark things that struck me right away is that radio, and television, is all about the ads. The only reason networks or stations pay any attention to content is to attract ad revenue.

That's why boomer-era stations suck so badly now. The programmers program by consensus, by survey. They play only the songs listeners have told them they like/know, so playlists become narrow and generic. Gone are the days when a dj had input into content and when a programmer had in-depth knowledge of the station's genre.

Free Bird. Margheritaville. Watchtower. Life's Been Good to Me So Far... Name your song that's overplayed. That's why it's overplayed. Programming by concensus. Only the bland survive.

I believe in democracy, civil liberties, and the rule of law. That makes me a liberal, and I’m proud of it. - Paul Krugman

by Gentle Giant on Mon Nov 05, 2012 at 06:35:09 AM PST

•  Cheers to Gentle Giant... (8+ / 0-)

Yupper-Dupper-Doo!

Ads are why I quit listening to radio, too.

Siiiiiiiiiiiigh....

I have a short attention span for stupidity.

For other things like arts and crafts or genealogy research or reading....  I can do them for hours and hours and hours and never get bored.

OTOH, in my youngest formative years there was no TV and the radio was not blaring 24/7.  I escaped through reading.  We got our first TV when I was about 13 (I'd come home and watch American Bandstand from Philly after school).

I can deal quite nicely with contemplative and peaceful silence.  In fact, I mostly prefer it.  I'm comfortable with my own company, my own thoughts.

I used to date a guy who would - literally! - walk in his house and turn on the TV even as he still had a bag of groceries in his arms and/or boots covered in snow.  Only after he had the TV on (and too loud because he was also hard of hearing) would he then proceed to put things away, take off his jacket, etc.  To go to sleep at night he turned on the radio next to his bed with a timer so it would shut itself off after a couple of hours.  He just could not deal with quietness of any kind.

by NonnyO on Mon Nov 05, 2012 at 06:55:23 AM PST

•  wow. Sounds like he had a fear of being (6+ / 0-)

alone with his thoughts.
        When I lived alone, the noise was company to dampen the effects of loneliness, but not played at high volume. For many years before I was married, I didn't own a tv. I had a nice stereo system and a few hundred records. Sigh... those were the days.

by Gentle Giant on Mon Nov 05, 2012 at 07:09:35 AM PST

•  More like: (7+ / 0-)

He needed something to fill his head because at least part of it was empty..., altho it is true that he likely feared being alone with his thoughts from the other half of his brain.

Not a lot of cranial activity there.  That's why he's not in my life any longer either.

:-)

by NonnyO on Mon Nov 05, 2012 at 07:18:32 AM PST

•  oh, I love it: (4+ / 0-)
        mjbleo, diggerspop, NonnyO, Maudlin
        I have a short attention span for stupidity.
        I may make that my new sig line.
        I have a bunch of job-related comics and one liners at my desk (not where customers can see). One says " I'm not cranky, I just have a violent reaction to stupid people."
        My job? Front desk receptionist! OY!

"I'm grateful for my job - truly, but still...ugh." CityLightsLover

by Audri on Mon Nov 05, 2012 at 09:05:59 AM PST

•  You are welcome to use it... (3+ / 0-)
          mjbleo, Maudlin, Audri

... if you so choose!  [I'm just pleased that anything I wrote sounded like it made sense at this stage of the election season!  I feel like I'm suffering from Bored Brain Rot because I made up my mind about who to vote for right after the campaigning started, and before the endless "debates" where everyone parrots each other.  Ugh.]

I have a low threshold of boredom.  Can you tell?

I've been cranky regarding stupid people, too.  [I'm talking about the willfully ignorant, those who refuse to learn anything new..., not the ones who just aren't mature enough to know things yet, but are eager to learn something new.  There's a sea of difference between those polar opposites.  The latter I actually quite like since I can impart knowledge I know, plus refer them to other sources for more info.]

:-)  I've been that front desk person (plus police radio dispatcher before 911 was invented, secretary, coder of reports pre-computer days, editor, typist, statistician for reports sent to HQ, bookkeeper for the IRS guy, payroll clerk, timekeeper for co-workers, all-around PR person - that always got me high praise... I can do persistently perky chatterbox like no one else I know, even with a major migraine).  I had to be good at my job; I was usually the only one IN the office for most of the day.

by NonnyO on Mon Nov 05, 2012 at 06:26:11 PM PST

•  My ex used to come home from work, (5+ / 0-)
        mjbleo, diggerspop, NonnyO, mayim, Maudlin

turn on the tv and then go about what ever - including leaving the room and going upstairs to do what ever. One time after he turned it on and left the room, I turned it off and he shouted, from upstairs: "I was watching that!" Oy.

"I'm grateful for my job - truly, but still...ugh." CityLightsLover

by Audri on Mon Nov 05, 2012 at 09:11:39 AM PST

•  Cheers to satellite radio... (10+ / 0-)

offering the variety that has disappeared from terrestrial stations.