View Diary: Breaking: Something Incredible is Happening in Kuwait (154 comments)

•  this is a sarcastic comment... (5+ / 0-)

...about how we as a site and the media and public in general are willing to accept in Obama behaivior we would and did vilify when Bush did it.  Like supporting dictators and the dictators using tear gas on protestors.  or unarmend drone strikes or maintaining a 'kill' list or extrajudicial killings. or holding people indefinatly off shore to avoid giving them the rights to trial. Etc ETc ETC.

We Glory in war, in the shedding of human blood. What fools we are.

by delver rootnose on Sun Nov 04, 2012 at 11:44:29 AM PST

•  i'm glad you answered. (0+ / 0-)

now, if you would consider answering another question:

given that this nation will choose between one of two people on tuesday, do you consider romney the better choice to combat these issues that disturb you?

will you even vote tuesday?  if not, you are part of the problem.  or, are you voting green?  if you choose not to answer to keep from being banned for that answer, then are you not betraying your own principles?

so, here's the question:

are you voting - and, if so, will it be for obama, romney, someone else or not at all?

politics is a full contact "sport" with life or death consequences no matter HOW you vote.

•  O please Edrie don't give me the BS... (8+ / 0-)

...false equivalency shit everyone dishes out at this time of year.

Of course in not voting for Romney.  He is a disaster.

And yea I’m voting,  I might leave the presidential race blank.  I might hold my nose and vote Obama, well more like probably hold my nose since he doesn't smell that bad.  But if I do not vote I am not part of any fucking problem of my creating.  When we are only offered limited choices for whom to vote for in a two party system then is voting really fair.

And no I don't plan on voting green but to be a rules wonk I think banning only applies to advocating or posting for green party candidates.  If this site has come to the point where someone can get banned for even suggesting or saying they will exercise their franchise not for a Democrat then this site has strayed from what should be the democratic(small d) ideal.

And to cut to the chase I live in Illinois so my vote doesn't really amount to squat since neither campaign cares about the vote of anyone not in the several 'tossup' states.  So the issues that are uniquely Illinoisan, if there are any, get ignored.

And yea I will continue, at least until I am driven from this site to post about things I, and many others, screamed about when Bush was in office but seem to get ignored since Obama is in office.  And I will continue to hector for things that I think should be of concern and be part of the election dialog.  Doesn’t it even concern you that in all the debates, well at least the two party debates, the environment and the supreme court were hardly mentioned if at all let alone the NDAA and the patriot act and domestic servelance etc etc

I know this is election time and people are getting all twisted but don’t give me crap or spout BS at me.

We Glory in war, in the shedding of human blood. What fools we are.

by delver rootnose on Sun Nov 04, 2012 at 12:23:10 PM PST

•  Can you refer me to which two additional (2+ / 0-)
          AlyoshaKaramazov, Eyesbright

wars with hundreds of thousands of troops on the ground have been started since Obama took office?

•  strawman... (3+ / 0-)
            shaharazade, corvo, AoT

...go ahead and argue that I'm compairing Obama to Bush or even Romney.

And are not the wars we already have enough?  And shouldn't we be working to end the Bush Policies as fast as possible not ignoring them.

We Glory in war, in the shedding of human blood. What fools we are.

by delver rootnose on Sun Nov 04, 2012 at 02:57:01 PM PST

•  straw man? (3+ / 0-)
              Eyesbright, oceanview, Terri

really?

wow.

Seems to me like you have your apples and oranges mixed up.

Last I heard, Obama ended one war, and he's hell bent on ending another one.

And he's just as bad as Bush I?

REALLY?

I don't know what to say to that.  Seriously.

WTF???

"A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous..........got me?" - Don Van Vliet

by AlyoshaKaramazov on Sun Nov 04, 2012 at 03:01:52 PM PST

•  oh god where in hell... (5+ / 0-)

...did I say he was as bad as Bush (one or 2).  (I note you did argue effectivly against the strawman you erected)

I have said and will say again that Obama has continued some of the Bush policies, and while that concerns me I am more concerened that this community seems to be ok with those policies just as long as a Democrat is following them.

For example I have seen very few diaries or comments about the continuing detention of prisioners at Guantanimo.  Now the prisioners left probably should continue to be detained, if legal, but to continue to hold them offshore to deny them the rights to trial they should be entitiled to on US soil is in my opinion against the constitution.  And nobody seems to give a shit here anymore and the ones that mention, like me, that Obama might be wrong to do so get no end of excuses and other BS thrown at them.

Oh and hell bent to end one war in 2014. Sheesh

There are similar other issues but this thread is gettig a bit diversionary to an otherwise great diary and I'm trying to hold my spleen until after the election for the sake of comety.

We Glory in war, in the shedding of human blood. What fools we are.

by delver rootnose on Sun Nov 04, 2012 at 03:21:02 PM PST

•  you cannot blame guantanamo on obama. one of his (1+ / 0-)
                  OllieGarkey

first executive orders was to close that prison - and the congress - dems and republicans alike - voted to stop him.

we have a bicameral government - obama doesn't have supreme authority.

as for ndaa - the votes in congress were such that it was veto proof.  picking the battles when so much is at stake is part of leading.  IF we were to give obama a more progressive congress and senate - AND if the filibuster is changed in january, i think you will find things shape up very differently.

there are issues that are critical to controlling the dialogue. ndaa isn't one of them - unfortunately.  we are so far past that can of worms being opened, it will take serious work with the congress (a DEMOCRATIC congress) AND a liberal court (not the fucktards sitting there now writing laws to shape the court to the far right to change these things.

know your battles is the first rule of war.  that is what we are in - a war for the very existence of this nation.  picking which battles that can be won now and which will have to wait for stronger troops to conquer is part of the real problems we face right now.

no matter which battles are pushed into the future, romney won't do that - he will make those battles unwinnable.

obama will, albeit slowly - as he builds consensus - get those jobs done.  i'd rather have him in there quietly fighting the extremists than having the extremists on the inside with us fighting from without.  in the latter situation - we ALL lose!

so, please.  don't leave that ballot blank - vote for the only hope we have right now to change things - then, in two years, give him more tools to do so - start on wednesday working on throwing the right wingers out of the house and building a better senate majority.  the election in 2014 has to be as big if not bigger than this one to rid this plague that has crept over america.

•  he has more authority ... (0+ / 0-)

...to act unilaterally with the military that he does in ordering the stoppage of deportation of underage peoples but he did that.  And he can order the prisoners to any base he wants.  He should have done it and let the congress sue like DADT.

And in regards to NDAA he supported it why would he veto it.  that is the problem.  He should have vetoed it not supported it and let them try to override it.
                    One of the biggest problems the Democratic party has is that when Republicans loose it was because they were not conservative enough when Democrats loose it is because they are not conservative enough (although they call it moderate) So the national dialogue keeps moving to the right because of people like you who think it is more important to win at any cost that it is to maintain a consistent liberal position or even a proper brand.

We Glory in war, in the shedding of human blood. What fools we are.

by delver rootnose on Mon Nov 05, 2012 at 08:30:44 PM PST

•  Don't we have a secret ballot in this country? (5+ / 0-)

Is is legitimately any of your damn business how anybody plans to vote or has voted? Wow, just wow.

That, in its essence, is fascism--ownership of government by an individual, by a group, or by any other controlling private power. -- Franklin D. Roosevelt --

by enhydra lutris on Sun Nov 04, 2012 at 02:05:37 PM PST

•  Er, are you suggesting that on a political web sit (1+ / 0-)
          AlyoshaKaramazov

people can't ask each other who they're voting for? Seriously.

•  There's a difference between "ask" and (6+ / 0-)

"demand to know". The comment I replied to was very accusatory, the same old "prove to me that you belong here" that certain posters fall into whenever anybody questions or challenges anything that the chosen do.

by enhydra lutris on Sun Nov 04, 2012 at 03:00:43 PM PST

•  oh. just. stop. (0+ / 0-)

my question opened up a dialogue between delver rootnose and myself - a GOOD conversation - one where we might even find common ground.

if you want to sit on the sidelines and take pot shots, then go away.  IF you'd like to join in the dialogue on the topic being discussed, then you are welcomed to do so.

•  As I recall the topic originally being discussed (0+ / 0-)

was not who delver was going to vote for, but to each their own.

by enhydra lutris on Mon Nov 05, 2012 at 09:10:00 AM PST