View Diary: Florida early voting hassles happening 'by partisan design.' Ohio's Husted creates more problems (184 comments)

•  it would be the ultimate irony (2+ / 0-)
    akze29, shoeless

for a move away from the 50 state strategy at the behest of someone (Rahm, Plouffe, Obama?) to be the downfall of the reelection of our President...and it be disasterous and I would be big time pissed...

“Mitt Romney is the only person in America who looked at the way this Congress is behaving and said, ‘I want the brains behind THAT operation.’ ” Former Democratic Congressman - Tom Perriello "Small Businesses Don't Build Levees" - MHP

by justmy2 on Mon Nov 05, 2012 at 09:44:36 AM PST

•  Oh the Democratic Beltway power elite hated (12+ / 0-)

... Dean's 50 State Strategy. Paul Begala called it "stupid." Terry McAuliffe hated it. Carville belittled Dean for it. And Rahm made sure Dean disappeared.

Of course, the reason they all hated it was because Dean sent DNC money to the state parties, and the Dem consultancy class in D.C. saw their feeding trough empty out. Dean took money out of their pockets. Big money. So they all squealed like pigs.

It was the same group of consultants who fed at that trough since Bill Clinton was in office, and they didn't like it one bit that Dean cut them off.

That's what that was all about, and it's the reason we are unlikely to see a resurrection of the 50 State Strategy.

•  Then the Democrats are doomed (3+ / 0-)
        akze29, wbr, wasatch

All politics is local...something Republicans figured out and started working on 40 years ago, with great success. The R's will lose this election but they will likely still hold the House (it would be great if I'm wrong), governorships, state legislatures, state and local offices, school boards.

The 50-state strategy was a breath of fresh air for us, here in a red state. Now I see no possibility for party-building, it's pathetic.

I love it that Obama's channeling Harry Truman: "I don't give 'em hell; I just tell the truth and they think it's hell!"

by sillia on Mon Nov 05, 2012 at 09:59:29 AM PST

•  No Dem candidate on my ballot (7+ / 0-)

For KS-3.  For 12 years we had Dennis Moore in the House, after he retired it went Repub, and we didn't even field a candidate this year.  Kinda hurts our chances to retake the House when there's not even a Democratic OPTION on the ballot, don't you think?

Thought is only a flash in the middle of a long night, but the flash that means everything - Henri Poincaré

by milton333 on Mon Nov 05, 2012 at 10:09:05 AM PST

•  Exactly. (5+ / 0-)

Even if KS (or NE in my case) are not crucial to the Pres election, for many, many reasons it's crucial we have viable Dem parties there. That takes long, slow, arduous building but it can be done.

by sillia on Mon Nov 05, 2012 at 10:52:23 AM PST

•  I mean, we've been out of power in KS-3 (1+ / 0-)
              sillia

for all of 2 years.  And we're giving up on it?  It's not like it's unwinnable, we held that seat for more than a decade and only lost it in the Tea Party wave.  Why wouldn't we even contest the seat?  It's ridiculous.

by milton333 on Mon Nov 05, 2012 at 12:10:41 PM PST

•  this is why i love this site (3+ / 0-)
        VetGrl, wbr, wasatch

i always wondered why they killed that strategy. its  funny that the religious right uses the 50 state bottom up strategy and it works. i wish i could hear the consultants arguement against it, that would be one hell of a lesson in manipulation.

•  I'll blame it on Asshole Rahm. (2+ / 0-)
      drpmeade, wasatch

"I'm totally pro-choice in the matter of abortion. But of course I'm also so radically pro-life that I think every person from birth onward must have full and affordable access to healthcare." - Gail Collins

by gritsngumbo on Mon Nov 05, 2012 at 09:53:27 AM PST